It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway to remove chemical from bread

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   

0bserver1
Lol we both do a separate bread thread . They remove the chemical and put hair in...

I think your comment is getting overlooked here so let me ad a link to that for ya.

Hair conditioner

While some L-cysteine is directly synthesized in laboratories, most of it is extracted from a cheap and abundant natural protein source: human hair. The hair is dissolved in acid and L-cysteine is isolated through a chemical process, then packaged and shipped off to commercial bread producers. Besides human hair, other sources of L-cysteine include chicken feathers, duck feathers, cow horns and petroleum byproducts.

Most of the hair used to make L-cysteine is gathered from the floors of barbershops and hair salons in China, by the way.

Dig in...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I've cut down at least 60% of my fast food consumption but man I really liked subway! It's like every day were finding out about all these chemicals being added to our food.

I've lost a total of 45 pounds and counting so it was nice to get a healthy sandwich on the go. Guess I'll have to find another healthy spot.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Interesting. Didnt know they were selling this to the public

Azodicarbonamide

In the United States, azodicarbonamide has generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status and is allowed to be added to flour at levels up to 45 ppm.

In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitizer (a possible cause of asthma) and determined that products should be labeled with "May cause sensitisation by inhalation." The World Health Organization has linked azodicarbonamide to "respiratory issues, allergies and asthma." Britain, Europe, and Australia now ban its use in food

Translation? The substance is actually harmless and there is no evidence whatsoever that it causes anyone any harm at all. It creates air and makes for a lighter and fluffier bread. That's it. The fact that it is on the GRAS list speaks volumes. This is really a tempest in a teapot and the hippie blogger can take a flying leap. You know what people should really be thinking about? The wretched cured meat on ALL of their subs NO MATTER WHERE THEY GET THEM and all of the sulfates they contain. Knowledge is power.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

I suppose there are two schools of thought on this and they are very very far apart on basic approach.

#1. is the line of thought you represent by your view. I'd characterize that as full and total acceptance of the fact our national food supply and overall food chain is hopelessly crossed and mixed with chemicals and non-food items, directly inserted (as opposed to Teflon pans leaching or plastic tableware leaching into food) into the food itself. This approach would seem to see the 'betterment of man through modern chemistry' as having nothing wrong with it....and fair enough to have that opinion too. We all have a right to one, and however wrong I may consider it? It's your right to it and to defend it, as you choose.

#2. is the line of thought that food and artificially produced substances to manipulate it's taste, appearance or smell for purely cosmetic reasons is not only wrong, but ill conceived and likely doing immense health and other tangible damage to us on a physical and perhaps psychological level, on a daily basis. Even chemicals like this, which I'm sure are not KNOWN to be lethal or carry documented and proven side effects.....freely mix and interact with a thousand other chemicals and artificial substances that can never, for their sheer variety, be tested even ONCE for interactivity issues or combinations.

So, I'm obviously a #2 kinda guy...not to be confused with another popular reference for that.

I can't do a thing about the poison and toxins in the food supply. I'm just one guy among millions, sitting on less than 1/4 lot within a city. I own my little piece of the American Pie ...but that doesn't allow me to become Farmer John on a postage stamp, either. I have to ...tolerate...ingesting the toxins or I can starve while accomplishing nothing but a pathetic form of suicide.

I sure don't have to accept or be content with the situation though

----

...and give yourself an eye opening experience some time, if you haven't done this. Block out about 2 hours (That is what it'll take to be fair and open about it) and spend that time in a Wally World Super Center or something similar for the endless isles of choices of the same things. What will take time is taking down cans, boxes and packages to read the back. I did this 3 years ago and it wasn't for idle curiosity. My piss poor diet choices destroyed my very lucrative and satisfying career, to put blame where it's rightly due for that. No one else destroyed my career. I did. I killed it one dinner plate at a time through desire over need and the lack of control between those two things....

So it was..I spent a couple hours in *ALL* the food isles by the time I was done, trying to build a healthy menu onboard an 18 wheeler where home was 5-7 days between seeing for a day or so at a time.

Know what you'll find? What I found? First.... Every damn thing on those shelves is SO loaded with grams and grams of salt (sodium) that it's a miracle we don't all form into little pillars of it, old testament style. The IMPORTANT thing you'll find is that with PRECIOUS FEW exceptions? Every single food item sold in a modern store has chemicals from industrial plants..and usually many of them...right down to the color and flavor.

Every need, meal and desire seen to by corporate supplies, for a price of course, and made the Burger King way....Our Way....even if it kills every last one of us.

Not everyone will accept this chemical stew we call a grocery store or dinner plate. Not all of us.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
I sure don't have to accept or be content with the situation though

...and give yourself an eye opening experience some time, if you haven't done this. Block out about 2 hours (That is what it'll take to be fair and open about it) and spend that time in a Wally World Super Center or something similar for the endless isles of choices of the same things. What will take time is taking down cans, boxes and packages to read the back. I did this 3 years ago and it wasn't for idle curiosity. My piss poor diet choices destroyed my very lucrative and satisfying career, to put blame where it's rightly due for that. No one else destroyed my career. I did. I killed it one dinner plate at a time through desire over need and the lack of control between those two things....

So it was..I spent a couple hours in *ALL* the food isles by the time I was done, trying to build a healthy menu onboard an 18 wheeler where home was 5-7 days between seeing for a day or so at a time.

Know what you'll find? What I found? First.... Every damn thing on those shelves is SO loaded with grams and grams of salt (sodium) that it's a miracle we don't all form into little pillars of it, old testament style. The IMPORTANT thing you'll find is that with PRECIOUS FEW exceptions? Every single food item sold in a modern store has chemicals from industrial plants..and usually many of them...right down to the color and flavor.

Every need, meal and desire seen to by corporate supplies, for a price of course, and made the Burger King way....Our Way....even if it kills every last one of us.

Not everyone will accept this chemical stew we call a grocery store or dinner plate. Not all of us.

Well said.

Personally, I've found one of the benefits of being a "House Husband" has been being able to cook most meals from scratch using fresh ingredients. With locally grown produce where possible. We still can't get away from all additives, but at least I can regulate them more.

Of course, then we go out for a Burger and completely Bugger up the whole Healthier thing. But they taste so damn good. Sometimes a greasy burger and heavily salted fries is the only thing that will hit the spot. The guilt is subdued with a couple of beers.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

You know, what you refer to there is the hardest part of being a starving college student in middle age. In my 20's? Heck..who cared or thought about the difference in home cooked fresh vs. Pizza Hut on a pan? It all ate the same and came out the same way eventually. Ahh...the joys of youth. Where do we go back and try that one again? lol...

I think one of my greatest joys of graduating and getting on with my career in a few years will be a true and real income again, which allows for the little things ... like grocery shopping with no care or awareness of WHAT the running total in the cart is, because cost isn't the issue or even passing concern. Oh...that has got to be one of the best aspects I take as a memory from trucking. That sense of total professional and financial freedom, within my station in life, of course.

..some day..We'll be able to afford fresh fixings as the norm around here, not the exception, again. Ahh.. Eventually.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
You know what I don't trust about these places? The smell. Every single Subway smells exactly the same. Every MacDonalds smells exactly the same. Every BurgerKing smells the same. When I make these foods at home it doesn't smell like that so why should it in the shop?

Oh yeah... Chemicals.

You either don't care that there's chemicals in your food or you don't.

'but it's on a list as perfectly safe! ' I hear you cry. So was smoking, thalidomide and now in Japan even the safe level of radiation has been raised so they can carry on selling food. Isn't it about time we understood that nothing is in our 'food' for our benefit?

These companies don't give a damn about you no matter what you think or what company policy says. They care about profit and if it's more profitable for them to put metal shavings or toxic waste in your food and you not to find out, then you bet your bad ass they will

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Up until a couple of years ago I'd never heard the term "Food Desert".

If a box of Mac 'n' Cheese costs about the same as an Apple, the box is bought because it goes further. If the store doesn't sell any Apples it will stop stocking Apples.

Look at the wanted list of any Food Bank and some of the top items wanted (apart from fresh fruit and veg) are boxes of Mac 'n' Cheese, Hamburger Helper etc. Not because people really want the highly processed crap, but because it will feed more for less money.

It really doesn't make sense when you think about it.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

I think it might actually make sense, in a way.

When the time finally came to say enough in my life, I was extreme about cutting out the trash and junk. I've eased a bit over time and allow some indulgences now and then...but rare, compared to how I once was.

The thing is..when I cut out the crap almost entirely? The oddest thing happened...and I was *NOT* expecting it. I had withdrawal. Honest to God psychological withdrawal with some minor physical signs as well. The toxins are mildly ADDICTIVE ...the fresh and real good food comparisons are not so much. So...what will you grab on your shelf when your pleasure center says one thing and your logical mind says another? Most make the wrong choice, I think...with a little help, of course.

edit on 7-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: Minor correction

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
That chemical is banned as a food additive in so many countries, I will instead list the countries where its NOT banned as a food additive.

The United States of America,
Canada,
Mexico

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join