It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easy As ABC? Well, Call Me Stupid 'Cause I Don't Understand!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I am having SUCH a hard time understanding today's way of communicating the written word!
I used to love to read; still do, but without constant referral to a 'cheat sheet', I lose the ability to comprehend.

Example:

' While stt tdy I saw this, and it proves Dod in construct with HPoT and GVD,along with full knowledge of HHS,ARPP, CQGM and the senate,approved the MQPS to allow MSTO and HSCH access to all voluntary and involuntary contributions.
As you can see, this supports the hypothesis that DDJV, MNCB, UNTG and PBTH are conspiring with LLPQR to end XYZMMNCI as we know it.
Thoughts? '

I am becoming more aware every day of just how wide the generation gap is between myself and the 'New Generation', and it is causing me some consternation.
What if people begin using alphabetic shorthand more often in conversation? I can keep up to some extent; I mean, OMG, who can't?
I hope this isn't TMI, but the world is changing beyond my ability to keep up!

I started out with a limited number of brain cells, and I tried to fill them with as much information as I could. I don't think I have enough left to utilize in learning an abbreviated language.

What worries me most is my seven year old grand daughter. She stays with me every weekend while her mom works the night shifts.
What will I say to her when she's a few years older? "TGP & PEW"? or "GG JHGHW WD"?

I guess if she can always understand " I love you" I won't get left too far behind.

Miss Nugget
edit on 40000001010America/Chicago281 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Why do you think I call them the "alphabet" agencies?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

What THE actual *&%^^ did i just read??? XYZPDQ LMNOP?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Yeah!!!!!

It's not just me.

Thank you!

And yes, by the time my grandson's are older, I guess we will have our own "secret language".
In the past it would have been known as English.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

I think sometimes people are so eager to impress upon their audience that they "know" and are savvy as to the what they're talking about, and therefore, have an authoritative opinion on the matter, that they fail to educate their audience as to what the heck they're talking about! LOL

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
IT'S NOT JUST ME? ! Hallelujah, I'm not alone!
GTK, but that still won't make me normal.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

It's not a new phenomenon.

edit on 6-2-2014 by BritofTexas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

Thank you for the video!

It put things in a little better perspective!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

The only thing which equals my hatred of needless acronym usage, is my love for the English language. Text speak, leet speak, banter, and all that other muck, it can all go hang for all I care.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

I still get a little annoyed when I see "lol". I read it in my head phonetically so I just imagine somebody actually saying "lulz! LOL!" and pronouncing them. This all mostly started to get widespread with texting since it was a pain to type out words very fast on a dial pad but now there's no excuse. It's straight up laziness.

I'm sure there is some merit to it that I may be overlooking (there usually is) but I haven't seen it yet.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I guess if life is going to be lived 'in the fast lane', one would need to abbreviate as many things as possible.
Skirt length and belts to hold ones' pants up, for example.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I don't think older folks understand the volume of text messages youngsters send out.
You can call it "laziness" but its just the way it's always been. I started texting when it first started, so shorthand texting is basically a habit at this point.
Whats REALLY confusing is when all my friends use acronyms for their fav band.
"Yo braj, you catch the BTBAM show? They played with TTEOFT AND BDM last night. Totes righteous."

welcome to my generation.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

nugget1
reply to post by Cuervo

If there is one thing that gives away a person's age more than anything, its this.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'll never forget years ago ,before I became more net savvy,reading a chat convo over my eldest daughter's shoulder. She typed BRB MOS . In my ignorance I asked what "burb moss" meant.
. After that I have tried to keep up,since my daughter had an extreme case of ROLF .

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

rangerdanger
I don't think older folks understand the volume of text messages youngsters send out.
You can call it "laziness" but its just the way it's always been. I started texting when it first started, so shorthand texting is basically a habit at this point.
Whats REALLY confusing is when all my friends use acronyms for their fav band.
"Yo braj, you catch the BTBAM show? They played with TTEOFT AND BDM last night. Totes righteous."

welcome to my generation.

Don't you mean "wtmg"?

Is that a thing? It should be.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

nugget1
' While stt tdy I saw this, and it proves Dod in construct with HPoT and GVD,along with full knowledge of HHS,ARPP, CQGM and the senate,approved the MQPS to allow MSTO and HSCH access to all voluntary and involuntary contributions.
As you can see, this supports the hypothesis that DDJV, MNCB, UNTG and PBTH are conspiring with LLPQR to end XYZMMNCI as we know it.
Thoughts? '

This isn't a real quote. You made it up to be intentionally obtuse. Please provide a citation for this quote or provide a REAL one you are having trouble with and we'll see just what the issue is.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

schuyler

nugget1
Thoughts? '

This isn't a real quote. You made it up to be intentionally obtuse. Please provide a citation for this quote or provide a REAL one you are having trouble with and we'll see just what the issue is.

I was at the zoo once with my brother-in-law and we were walking through the aviary. There were these little plastic cups of seeds you could buy to feed the birds with and we didn't buy any. This lady walked up to me and said "I didn't use all of mine, would you like the rest?" and I responded in jest with "No thank you, I'm full" and rubbed my belly. She then said, quite annoyed, "It's for the birds!" and stormed off.

You are that lady right now. His example was obviously made up to show us how annoying it is. He's not being obtuse. Well he is but it's obviously for a laugh. Go ahead and try it. Laugh at it. It feels good.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

After that I have tried to keep up,since my daughter had an extreme case of ROLF .

I don't know if you meant to say "rolling on laughing floor", but that's what I'm doin"!

See? It ain't easy!

edit on 4u22America/Chicago281 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

schuyler

nugget1
Thoughts? '

Oh My Gosh; Rolling on Floor, Laughing My Apples Off!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

rangerdanger

nugget1
reply to post by Cuervo

If there is one thing that gives away a person's age more than anything, its this.

Well, I think my wrinkles would give it away long before my lifetime collection of opinions would!

I hope you didn't mistake me for putting down the 'younger' generation by admitting my confusion; heck, micro-mini skirts are probably one of the greatest things ever for keeping an old mans heart beating!
And I don't mind seeing a young fellas waistband at his knees; not even from the back view.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join