It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China reports first human case of new H10N8 bird flu, and it's fatal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Chinese health authorities have identified a brand-new type of bird flu that killed an elderly woman in November and infected at least one other person in January.

That trend prompted the experts to call for stepped-up surveillance to track the new H10N8 influenza virus in poultry markets and in human patients.

China reports first human case of new H10N8 bird flu, and it's fatal

More fear mongering, or just in time for the peak of the FLU season.

Also, I would like to let people know there is some good news from the article.

...But the researchers also shared some encouraging news. Investigators have not found any evidence of person-to-person transmission so far, and tests showed that the virus is sensitive to the drugs Tamiflu (oseltamivir) and Relenza (zanamivir).

I thought this was interesting because I have chickens myself and would hate to see this spread.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 2014, seems like there is a lot in store for us as humanity.

-NexusNews

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Nexusnews

Thanks for reporting this.

For a non-medical, non-agricultural lay person, all of these Hxxxxxs viruses can get a bit of confusing.

It is a bit of a shame that the family would not allow an autopsy for the sake of further confirmation, and investigation, but I suppose you have to respect their rights to their loved one.

I am hyper-sensitive at the moment because my son has had similar symptoms, and yet was diagnosed with step throat and put on antibiotics. While I am seeing a tad improvement today, he still is complaining of chest pains, and sore throat, along with a low-grade fever and persistent cough.

Not trusting medical field, big pharma, and new insurance rules don't help, either.

Will keep an eye on this thread; SF.

edit on 6-2-2014 by watchesfromwall because: grammar mosh

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This is what happens when you domesticate animals in large scales with massive turn over rates. Entire generations of chicken wiped out in less than a week is the problem.
It's just s shame because the smaller farms get infected as well with chickens that have been living for dozens of generations.

Don't think there is anything to worry about really, the only person to die is elderly, and generally that isn't rare in flu season.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

...But the researchers also shared some encouraging news. Investigators have not found any evidence of person-to-person transmission so far, and tests showed that the virus is sensitive to the drugs Tamiflu (oseltamivir) and Relenza (zanamivir).

Talk about publicity for the big pharmas

"There's this new DEADLY virus, but this shot works so hurry up and get vaccinated and we can make billions"

Good find nonetheless, Sure hope it doesn't mutate....I am still NOT getting a flu shot. I survided last time.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

Tamiflu and Relenza aren't shots.

They're a different class of medications taken as capsules I think, and they're only useful to you if you catch the virus early before it gets a good foothold in your body. Usually, by the time they test an individual case to see if the cause is flu, it's too late.

They test a virus's susceptibility to them in the event that there is a widespread epidemic or pandemic where they would prescribe the antivirals on the suspicion of infection in the hope of catching enough infections early enough to save lives.

Also, if there were an epidemic or pandemic, they might try to come up with an added flu vaccine to address it, but it would take time given the process of producing flu vaccines. It's time consuming and difficult.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Two points about the alarmist nature of the headline.

1) All Influenza-A flus, the most common type of flu, are "bird flu". All 144 strains of Influenza-A can be found in birds, though not all can infect humans.

2) All flus can be fatal, it usually depends on the state of health of the person who catches it. An elderly woman who dies from a strain of the flu (as was the case in this story) is not particularly noteworthy. Depending on the year, up to 40,000 Americans die from the flu annually, but almost all are either very old, very young, or have underlying medical conditions that help things along.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Time to fill my bath tub with ethanol to sterilize myself from the germs.

That worked out okay that one time, right?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Damn Chinese and their birds...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Another one? Revenge of the dinosaurs. People should just leave birds to be birds, and not eat them, pile them in cages, or do anything except look at them, feed them in winter, and maybe pick up a feather sometimes.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

This has been one of the worst flu seasons i've ever seen around here. It's obviously not related to this strain, but there have been 4 deaths of people I know or have mutual friends with. All in the 30 - 55 range. Had a musician pal that was 33 (i believe) who died recently. Then a girl nearby who was 32. The 32 year old woman had apparently had a flu shot with the strain that killed her (h1n1 seems to be the culprit in these cases) a while before she caught it.

This is the first season i've ever been concerned about the flu (probably because I knew the one young guy who died, played music with him a few times, and he was only 5 years older than me).
edit on 6-2-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Aleister

Another one? Revenge of the dinosaurs. People should just leave birds to be birds, and not eat them, pile them in cages, or do anything except look at them, feed them in winter, and maybe pick up a feather sometimes.

You're right. People are bastards to birds, and it's time that they get their revenge. I love birds.

They're out there, dying alone in supermarket parking lots lured there by food left out by careless idiots, or they're wrapped in plastic in the meat keeper, but they're dying none the less.

Man kind is just jealous he never learned to fly.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

I do believe the Air Force would disagree with you.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by watchesfromwall

That sounds more like a developing case of pneumonia especially with the chest pain and low grade fever symptoms. I just went through that fun with my own daughter recently.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Sheesh!

Well that's just sad and scary -- especially given the age range.

Do you mind disclosing your general location, i.e., country/region?

You know, for us alarmist/ paranoid types, ha,ha.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow

This has been one of the worst flu seasons i've ever seen around here. It's obviously not related to this strain, but there have been 4 deaths of people I know or have mutual friends with. All in the 30 - 55 range. Had a musician pal that was 33 (i believe) who died recently. Then a girl nearby who was 32. The 32 year old woman had apparently had a flu shot with the strain that killed her (h1n1 seems to be the culprit in these cases) a while before she caught it.

This is the first season i've ever been concerned about the flu (probably because I knew the one young guy who died, played music with him a few times, and he was only 5 years older than me).
edit on 6-2-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Yeah, this one likes to stick around and leave you with secondaries. My cousin caught pneumonia out of his bought of it, too. We're talking about someone who's never sick.

On our homefront, we all three went through it despite the son and I having had our shots in September. I just got mildly ill with no voice for a week, but my son got an ear infection (not terribly uncommon for him) and my husband got pretty sick and got a stubborn case of bronchitis (he had no shot).

So far the pattern in my life has been upheld. The only years I get the flu are the ones in which I actually get the shot.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hogstooth

Sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she is doing much better now.

My son is back at school today -- I guess the wide spectrum antibiotics did the trick -- as he was jumping around and playing on his PS4 late yesterday. Will still an eye on him and my 2 younger ones as strep, I am told, is highly contagious.? We've never had to face it before. Other parents I've talked to have reported that it's making it rounds here.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Also, from WHO:

How does the #H10N8 virus actually behave? Two isolated cases so far, not like #H7N9. Other #birdflu viruses also can cause isolated cases

Just an FYI for everyone.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Tristate of KY/OH/WV.

I'm right in that range. 5 people I know of 22 - 50 something.

I talked to a nurse at work yesterday. She said she refused the H!N! because she said it's a test vaccine. Not proven. The 32 year old that died had taken it.

When a nurse says she refused to take taht one (she tookthe general vaccine as part of th job), but not the h1n1.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow

Tristate of KY/OH/WV.

I'm right in that range. 5 people I know of 22 - 50 something.

I talked to a nurse at work yesterday. She said she refused the H!N! because she said it's a test vaccine. Not proven. The 32 year old that died had taken it.

When a nurse says she refused to take taht one (she tookthe general vaccine as part of th job), but not the h1n1.

Just north of you. Will have to check out the stats here. My husband got the general flu shot at work, I think, because he is the plant manager and wanted to role model?

The children and I will never take that jab! ):

I even have had their early childhood immunizations staggered and with proof that they were mercury-free. Yes, I am that protective and paranoid.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

great. so far i have had west nile, h1n1, h1n2 or whatever it was.... i get all the H's.
this makes me sad. real sad.

top topics

join