It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefighter gets handcuffed by cops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Officials from both the California Highway Patrol and Chula Vista Fire Department Wednesday responded to an incident that left a firefighter in handcuffs at an accident site in the South Bay.

A CHP officer's move to detain a Chula Vista firefighter responding to a crash scene has some asking about the chain of command during emergency situations.

CBS News 8 cameras were rolling around 9:00 p.m. Tuesday when the two got into a dispute over where the fire engine should park while firefighters were responding to the crash that happened north on I-805 between Telegraph Canyon Road and East Orange Avenue. According to officials, the officer told the firefighter to move his truck from the center divide, but the firefighter refused that request and continued giving aid to the crash victims.

CBS News 8 video shows the CHP officer cuffing the firefighter, identified as Jacob Gregoire, 36, at the scene of the accident. In the background, other fire crews and officers can be seen tending to the victims of the rollover accident. The firefighter, who's been with the fire department for 12 1/2 years, was detained in the back of a CHP vehicle for about half an hour before being released

www.youtube.com...

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread Page):
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on 2/6/2014 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

Sounds like CHP needs to coordinate their procedures with the other emergency services. This firefighter was just following procedure.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Bad,stupid cop! Risking lives instead of saving them.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's happened before, in this video, it was a captain of the fire department and the cop that did it ended up fired.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This happens more often then most people know.
I have been ordered to leave crash sites by cops more then once before the fire and ambulance had arrived and i am a vol firefighter.

Being one of the first at a crash site and trained as a firefighter in heavy rescue i will start opening a wreak up so the ambulance people don't have to spend the time when they get there.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Seems to me nothing more than a power grab. Poor little officer did not like a firefighter telling them how it is. If I was the fire captain, I would advise my crew that if any officer down calls come over the radio involving this officer, take your time getting to the scene.
Firepiston

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
In a traffic accident with victims the most important thing is a police officers pride.

Notice what happens when unarmed "policy and procedure" meets armed "policy and procedure."

This is very important to our understanding of government and bureaucracy.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere
In a traffic accident with victims the most important thing is a police officers pride.

Notice what happens when unarmed "policy and procedure" meets armed "policy and procedure."

This is very important to our understanding of government and bureaucracy.

Wow, that hits it on the head right there! I couldn't believe when i watched this on the news, how is the cop serving or protected the injured occupants?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

This makes me angry, the police have gotten way too out of control.

Militant police is all this makes you think of.... its shocking, but only because I remember what cops were like before things got to this new nearly martial law we have going on now!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It's a kinda crazy MO to begin with. The American police appear to have no shortage of vehicles, when an accident like that occurs, ALL traffic should be slowed with a police rolling road, all those vehicles flying by at speed, that's ridiculous. The firemen have no choice but to protect themselves under those conditions.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
That cop should be jailed and fired. How much time would you get for interfering with rescue operations?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Lmao!
In the second video the cop got fired for handcuffing a firefighter, yet weekly we hear of some LEO thug shooting someone dead in the streets and getting a two week's paid vacation.
Sickening.

As for this story, this cop is a freakin' idiot.
Get in there and help the injured, you moran. Instead he wants to play captain control. Idiots, the whole lot of them.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Same thing happened to me a number of years ago when I was a Volunteer in the local Fire Service.

Happened across an accident at pretty much the same time an off-duty Police Officer.
I went in to check the driver, who was still alive but pretty banged up and bleeding.

He was wedged in under his dashboard, A and B pillars were crushed and doors stuck solid...so I left the off-duty Cop to monitor the driver, ran back to my truck and came back with the axe, spade and other tools I had in there...
...started cutting into the roof-line to peel it back so Emergency Services could get access easier/quicker when they arrived.
You know as well as I do its a race against the clock and seconds DO matter!

This off-duty Cop pushed me away - ordered me to stop doing that - as he "could smell alcohol in the vehicle and this could be a potential crime-scene and any evidence could be disturbed or destroyed if I continued trying to cut away metal"

I told him in pretty foul language to be honest (probably not a good thing, but hey) to pull his head outa his butt and get out of the way if he isn't going to help as this driver could be bleeding to death right now - every second counts.

He took my axe off me, tossed it down the bank and ordered me to stand back or he'd arrest me.
I told him where to go, went back in to try and pry the roof back and open the door with the spade...and this Cop jumped me, pinned me down until Emergency Services arrived probably about 5 minutes later...

They took another 5-10 minutes to free him and get him into the back of the Ambo...the driver bled out and died in the Ambo on the way...

I got charged with threatening that Officer with a weapon (Spade)...bollicks, I didn't, I waved it with a "Get out of the way man, we have to get that door open and roof back so they can get him out quicker".
Charge eventually got dropped...but that driver, well, I firmly believe he could well be alive today if I/we were allowed to have gotten most of the clearance work done to save time instead of waiting and watching until Emergency Services arrived...

Sucks mightly...especially for that drivers family...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

Typical. Quit trying to save that guys life, I need to fill my DUI quota.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

To be fair - when the Fire Service regulars heard about it they went to see the local Police to complain, as the local Fire and Police had always had a good working relationship.

That Cop had reported that I had agressively threatened him with an axe and a spade and that he needed to 'take me down' for his and others safety.
On investigation other witnesses concurred with me that I hadn't, I had merely been *holding* the axe and then the spade while telling this Cop to, err, fornicate off...so charges got dropped.
Even the local Cops said that particular Cop was an a-hole and apologised profusely.

Later heard that Cop got 'shifted' to somewhere else...

Shame he didn't get fired and/or charged for something though.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
the shifting of bad cops is just protecting them. like the catholic church shifted all those pedo priests.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
According to ICS, the first responder is the incident command. And rescue of injured or trapped people and responder safety is the priority, not traffic control. It's there in black and white. The cop should be disciplined.

Of course, the taxpayers will foot the cost of the cop's fines. IMHO the cop himself should be the one to pony up the bucks, once he's bankrupted, the rest of it ought to come from CHP's property confiscation income.

eta:

Responsibilities of Command The Incident Commander is responsible for the completion of the tactical priorities. The tactical priorities are:
Remove endangered occupants and treat the injured.
Stabilize the incident and provide for life safety.
Conserve property.
Provide for the safety, accountability, and welfare of personnel. This priority is ongoing throughout the incident.

I'm not seeing "and keep traffic moving" or "support the egos of the local LEOs who are directing traffic". Nope, the California ICS manual pretty clearly states as the number one priority to remove endangered occupants and treat the injured. It also says Fire/rescue has the priority until it's turned over to the CHP or local LEOs. Apparently this CHP didn't get the memo.

Also, California penal code 148.2 - it's a misdemeanor to interfere with EMS or Fire/rescue on scene and prevent any EMT or fireman from carrying out his duties. There's not an out for "unless you're a cop". I guess it comes down to who's got the best lobbyists, FOP or the fire department. Whoever the DA is scared of more wins.
edit on 6-2-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Great find! Fire that cop! Star!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

As far as I can tell from the relevant California law, if the fire department hadn't turned the incident command over to the CHPs at the point this happened, it's another misdemeanor if the CHP failed to carry out the firefighter's lawful order. While fire has the IC position, the cops have to obey the firefighters, or it's obstruction.

It also seems like a false arrest charge could be had.

<<   2 >>

join