It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Takes Picture of Pharaoh-Like Statue!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Indigent
All these rock threads are just Pareidolias

People saw things before in clouds or the face of Jesus in toast, now faces in mars rocks

Every time someone here uses (and the defines) that word, I can't help but think they're saying "hey here's a big word that you all probably don't know but I do and it means 'nothing to see here' so move on." Also, 'Occam's Razor' sounds so damned cool that it MUST apply." These two pseudoscientific concepts are the mindless debunker's bread and butter.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Looking at it I can say that the 'jaw' is totally wrong. I can see it in the upper half.
But that just means that people are seeing what they want to see ... IMHO.
It's not there.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Urantia1111
These two pseudoscientific concepts are the mindless debunker's bread and butter.

Pareidolia isn't a 'pseudoscientific concept'. It's a real psychological phenomenon. The poster wasn't playing with big words, it's been discussed here many times. And why are you insulting someone by calling them a 'mindless debunker''??? The poster had a very valid point.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

FlyersFan

Urantia1111
These two pseudoscientific concepts are the mindless debunker's bread and butter.

Pareidolia isn't a 'pseudoscientific concept'. It's a real psychological phenomenon. The poster wasn't playing with big words, it's been discussed here many times. And why are you insulting someone by calling them a 'mindless debunker''??? The poster had a very valid point.

Mainly because with many members (and I'll tactfully not mention more names) its habitual and immediate and suggests a pattern of debunking for the sake of debunking regardless of topic or supporting evidence. You're a long-time member. I know you know this happens but if you want to pretend (unconvincingly) that it doesn't, knock yourself out.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
the lighting and shadows look all wrong on it to me.
makes me think fake.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

taoistguy
the lighting and shadows look all wrong on it to me.
makes me think fake.

It's straight off the NASA site!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by cavedweller88

I applaud the efforts of many to uncover life and cool things on mars, but I am going to have to say IMO this is a rock. Good find, it does resemble a human face, and a hat, but can't see any logical explanation as to how that is, or is a fossil of one. Just like someone above said, we see images in clouds. If you google Catawissa, PA there is an indian head in the cliffs where an tribes used to live, that was carved by the Susquahana River hundreds of years ago.

Why is the OP getting all defensive, he posts a picture of a rock and someone applies logic, so he takes his name and labels it? You cannot debunk a username.
edit on 2/6/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

FlyersFan

Urantia1111
Looking at it I can say that the 'jaw' is totally wrong. I can see it in the upper half.
It's not there.

If you take a second look, the "jaw" you describe is actually another head like rock in front of the main head like rock

edit on 2/6/14 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

SixX18

You cannot debunk a username.

maybe you can? i may not be a taoist? or a guy?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Ummmm....When did I get defensive? Apart from me saying "the picture came right off the NASA site" to which I was responding to the person saying that he thought the image was fake, I have not been defensive.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

taoistguy

SixX18

You cannot debunk a username.

maybe you can? i may not be a taoist? or a guy?

Yes, and furthermore, per your signature, "The taoistguy that can be spoken of is not the real taoistguy."

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

For my own curiosity, I went and googled for a nice anti-pareiodia data point and found this one:

(edit coming as I figure out how to upload an image on this iPad)
(...iPad #fail, laptop to the rescue)

Image is from here:

www.iconsandechoes.com...
Scroll down to the image After "Just before Apollon we came upon an enormous, unfinished statue in an ancient marble quarry."

Now if you treat this location with an earthquake and a million years of desert, it might look like this scene on mars?

edit on 2014/2/6 by asciikewl because: Battle with media from iPad conceded, but image inserted

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

proob4

FlyersFan

Urantia1111
It's not there.

If you take a second look, the "jaw" you describe is actually another head like rock in front of the main head like rock

edit on 2/6/14 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

Good eye, you are so right !

It kinda looks like a pig head, maybe he's eating dinner ? Could it be a whistle, pipe, or musical instrument ? What if ancient Martians were two-faced ?

No one knows anything for sure, it's pure speculation and imagination.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Aleister

This was posted on the anomalies thread, on which many of these finds which later became separate threads by others have been posted. It's an awesome thread, and continues unabated to this minute.

The link to the first mention of this is below, found by Blackcat13:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then funbox, our pic and gif master, imaged it in the next post:

Then I chimed in, like some kind of chime, and leave this comment for this thread as well:

Nice find BlackCat, and nice presentation funbox (howhedothat?). It looks like that guy on some deck of cards.

This work of rock art shows how an exact angle of sun and shadow, coupled with ones own memory bank, can combine with a natural shape to form a perfectly recognizable earth image thousands of miles (how far is Mars from Earth? Two, three thousand miles? Ha, we can walk to it in a few months) (lol) from "home". I like the eye, eyebrow, hat, almost everything about it. This is a pareidolia for the books, in case anyone puts together a Mars pareidolia book.

edit on 6-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

Hmmm... Well just behind the face is what looks carved romanesque cornicing. In the middle of the pic there's a rock with a very clean slice through it (none of the other rocks show this - don't know what that means, but it's odd)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
That is a cool one... so glad you dug it out for all to ooo and ahhh over... I'm still snug in my "of course it's a rock" camp and am more interested in re-testing the soil for microbes as that first test in the 70's is nebulous.

The composite mirrored image is groovy and I have to say that the "jaw" is NOT all wrong if it was from a 'Planet of the Apes" film. Looks like a puckered ape muzzle to me.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Urantia1111

FlyersFan

Urantia1111

Mainly because with many members (and I'll tactfully not mention more names) its habitual and immediate and suggests a pattern of debunking for the sake of debunking regardless of topic or supporting evidence. You're a long-time member. I know you know this happens but if you want to pretend (unconvincingly) that it doesn't, knock yourself out.

It is pareidolia.

Anyway, what's the scale of this? anyone? Looks kinda small to me...though hey mars is a lot smaller than earth, so maybe its inhabitants were tiny people, like borrowers.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
That totally looks like a face, infact, if you look behind it to its left you could see a long piece of rock that looks like the ruins of a building, wall or pillar. I guess Nasa dropped the ball on this one, they forgot to edit the pic properly before releasing it. I just wish they would just come out and tell us the real truth about Mars...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Cydonia2012
That totally looks like a face, infact, if you look behind it to its left you could see a long piece of rock that looks like the ruins of a building, wall or pillar. I guess Nasa dropped the ball on this one, they forgot to edit the pic properly before releasing it. I just wish they would just come out and tell us the real truth about Mars...

Umm what about that cat in post above who totally has Jesus living up his ar&e? The Vatican sure dropped the ball on that too then huh?

Man we havnt even properly visited Venus yet, let alone Titan, Europa etc...you guys are gonna love it when we go there, there's sure to be lots of looky likey things there too.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

the mindless debunker's

So i'm mindless now for just seeing a rock

My world is destroyed now, why did you do this to me noooooo

I'm sorry you are the only one entitled to opinions

edit on 6-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

doorhandle

Cydonia2012

Umm what about that cat in post above who totally has Jesus living up his ar&e? The Vatican sure dropped the ball on that too then huh?

Man we havnt even properly visited Venus yet, let alone Titan, Europa etc...you guys are gonna love it when we go there, there's sure to be lots of looky likey things there too.

sure some of these pics are what you call pareidolia. But are you suggesting that 100% of them are? Surely you don't have proof that they are all visual phenomenons do you? I think its irresponsible to conclude one way or another. Until humans actually set foot on Mars and go without an agenda to hide the truth from the population will we actually be able to determine whether these are pareidolia or the real ruins. Until then we could argue till we turn blue.
edit on 6-2-2014 by Cydonia2012 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join