It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Takes Picture of Pharaoh-Like Statue!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I definitely think most of what is seen on Mars is pareidolia. On the other hand, I also think it's an easy way to explain what we think shouldn't be there. Occasionally, something may just be what it appears to be. Just my farthing.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Mianeye
The only problem with this rock that we all can agree on "looks like part of a face" is, everything around it just looks like rocks, if it would be a part of a statue, there should be more evidence around it.

As that is not the case, we can only assume it's another case of Pareidolia.

When that is said, this whole picture is stunningly beautiful.

Why? Why assume that the Martians built statues in the same way we do? Why couldn't this be the whole of the statue?

Even on Earth this could be the whole piece.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Of course these things are just rocks. But some, few and far between, are quite interesting. On this current Joker head, like I said earlier, it's a very nice trick of light and shadow, an image being read out by our brain as something familiar. Likely an hour later, with the sun at a different angle, it wouldn't even be recognizable as anything more than a rocky rock. That's what got Richard Hoagland's goat up for years, the "face on Mars" he made his rep on for a long time. The angle of the sun, and the shadows made by that angle.

But isn't it fun!!! I thought this present one looks like a joker on some deck of cards. Here's one not quite it, but I've seen joker images quite similar to this find by the OP here and independently by Blackcat13 (great martian explorers both, aye):

edit on 6-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Klassified

I definitely think most of what is seen on Mars is pareidolia. On the other hand, I also think it's an easy way to explain what we think shouldn't be there. Occasionally, something may just be what it appears to be. Just my farthing.

If wishes were horses we'd all be playing polo. On this one the key feature is the eye, if the eye wasn't there the rest of the rock slopes and gullies would be seen for what it is. A very nicely formed eye.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'd like to see someone make a mirror image of the profiled face and see what happens.

+25 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cavedweller88

I agree with the pareidolia crowd on this one.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

khimbar

AWESOME!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Will be interesting to see if they investigate this, however I believe this is just natural formation. Humans just have the ability to visualize faces in objects as a natural human instinct.

-NexusNews

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

These symbols?

Interesting...hard to see, but is this the area you were referring to?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Maybe the rest of the statue lies under the sand or it has broken off the chunk lying directly behind the face. If Mars was home to an advanced civilization and a cataclysmic event rocked the entire planet, then everything would be tossed about like in a landfill.

I think if we were able to see the Mars images in their true colors without the sepia-toned effect, it would be pretty obvious what took place on that planet.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

khimbar

The Enlongated Skull Lords....

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Paracas? On Mars....

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

If wishes were horses we'd all be playing polo. On this one the key feature is the eye, if the eye wasn't there the rest of the rock slopes and gullies would be seen for what it is. A very nicely formed eye.

Point taken. And this may very well be nothing, like so many others. My point is simply, if we continually look to explain everything away, or vice versa, we fall into the trap of forming a bias that will always demand satisfaction, and we will miss those very few and far between gems, that seldom come along. Our goal should be to look at everything with fresh eyes, as much as possible. imho.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

DancedWithWolves

These symbols?

Interesting...hard to see, but is this the area you were referring to?

Yepp! it seems like its harder to see with all the pixelation when you zoom in though.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

khimbar

Mianeye
The only problem with this rock that we all can agree on "looks like part of a face" is, everything around it just looks like rocks, if it would be a part of a statue, there should be more evidence around it.

As that is not the case, we can only assume it's another case of Pareidolia.

When that is said, this whole picture is stunningly beautiful.

Why? Why assume that the Martians built statues in the same way we do? Why couldn't this be the whole of the statue?

Why?

Because!

Why assume that the Martians built statues in the same way we do?

Because it looks like a statue as we build it!

Why couldn't this be the whole of the statue?

Because we only see one half of a face, or what looks like an eye!

I agree with that

But a lot of "Why's" dosen't make it more real, it just create a

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I have seen a lot of rock ard on poop on ATS and although this may
just be another piece of rocky poop, it does seem to have some symmetry
like the rock behind the face looking rock has carved edges and grooves and
looking at the other edge it appears that it could be symmetrical.

Taking the face looking rock and what appears to be a carved rock
behind together does beg the question: are these 2 naturally formed
rocks side by side an incredible coincidence or are they more than just rocks!

However, they may well just be rocks as is EXPECTED!!!!

It is surely the UNEXPECTED that hides the truth!!

edit on 6-2-2014 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Sure does look like them.

In history books about our area there are accounts of farmers who dug into mounds and found large skeletons with oddly shaped skulls and adorned with metal bands on arms and legs. The mounds are described as predating native Americans. Interesting findings.

ETA the accounts also described a long tooth with a hole in it similar to a whistle though its reasons were unclear. Makes the mirror image in an earlier post even weirder.

Martians....could be cool. Has there been any writing or symbols associated with areas where these skulls were found?

Thanks for the mystery rock OP. Made a cold snowy day a tad more interesting. Cheers!

edit on 6-2-2014 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Now that looks like something that can't possibly be just written away as a natural phenomenon.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm in the "just a rock" camp, but it is certainly cool. Just behind the statue is a rock that looks very much like a column-head to me.
Sort of like this: www.historyfiles.co.uk...

Again, I think it's just rocks, but neat

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

_Del_
I'm in the "just a rock" camp, but it is certainly cool. Just behind the statue is a rock that looks very much like a column-head to me.
Sort of like this: www.historyfiles.co.uk...

Again, I think it's just rocks, but neat

Those were my thoughts exactly! I'm glad someone else see's what I see!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join