It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Takes Picture of Pharaoh-Like Statue!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EnderMEM

Hmm I hate to be a bummer, but the thread is about a rock that May or may not be crafter by am intelligent being; this thread is not about the implications that this potential discovery would have on the worlds religions.
Sorry. Can you inform the person I was replying to for me?

I think we can all agree that curiosity's operators should make a u-turn and go back to take a better look.
I don't agree. I think there are more interesting things than rocks which look like heads to be discovered. Like more rocks that look like heads. Or half a heads.
edit on 2/9/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

don't forget the gurning heads

this ones my favourite

funBox

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

It would be a fallacy to assume that any time we notice something out of the ordinary, we are only seeing an example of pareidolia. It would be too easy to miss something extraordinary because we brush off what we see as nothing. For 99% of the objects on Mars, everything that we observe that looks like something other than rock probably is just pareidolia--but we would make the mistake of missing the 1% of evidence that could possibly exist if we used that rationale for everything.

It is especially important to investigate anything that looks curious when we are exploring an alien planet. It is really disappointing that there is not more funding for missions like these for that reason.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

It is especially important to investigate anything that looks curious when we are exploring an alien planet.

If the definition of curious is what Arken finds interesting, it's going to be a very very slow journey.
Oooh looky. Ooo look! Wow! look at that one.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Phage

It is especially important to investigate anything that looks curious when we are exploring an alien planet.

If the definition of curious is what Arken finds interesting, it's going to be a very very slow journey.

Lol. I would certainly do it, too.

I know it would be a problem. We would have to stop every time something caught our eye.

It's just the what if that drives me nuts. What if Mars had a species that evolved to a level of sentience like our own, that were capable of using tools like we do? I just feel like we would miss something--if there was anything there to even find.

Collectively, those of us who enjoy pouring over Mars images looking for anything that might be there, are like the children who won't go to bed when they are told to, because they are afraid of missing out on something.

The feeling is the same.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

It's just the what if that drives me nuts. What if Mars had a species that evolved to a level of sentience like our own, that were capable of using tools like we do?
If that had happened evidence of that life is not likely to be so obvious as the head of a statue lying in the dust. If that had happened it happened a billion years ago. Stone carvings don't last (in any recognizable form) for a billion years.

If that had happened the things that the MSL is actually equipped to do will lead to finding out about it. If Mars ever had any life at all the things that the MSL is actually equipped for will lead to finding out about it.

Stopping to look at every rock that has an odd shape is not science and science is the MSL's middle name.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Stopping to look at every rock that has an odd shape is not science and science is the MSL's middle name.
So what exactly IS science? I thought it was investigating the world around us in a thorough manner. That is hardly the modus operandi of the rovers is it?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

So what exactly IS science? I thought it was investigating the world around us in a thorough manner. That is hardly the modus operandi of the rovers is it?
More like a systematic manner. Looking at oddly shaped rocks is not systematic. The mission of the MSL is:

Curiosity was designed to assess whether Mars ever had an environment able to support small life forms called microbes.

It does this by:

The rover will analyze samples scooped from the soil and drilled from rocks. The record of the planet's climate and geology is essentially "written in the rocks and soil" -- in their formation, structure, and chemical composition. The rover's onboard laboratory will study rocks, soils, and the local geologic setting in order to detect chemical building blocks of life (e.g., forms of carbon) on Mars and will assess what the martian environment was like in the past.

mars.nasa.gov...

This systematic approach of studying geology and chemistry will provide more information about the ability for life to have ever existed on Mars than looking at oddly shaped rocks. Unless those rocks are geologically interesting.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Why are all the rocks sheared off on one side and so many cracks? Does this occur naturally?
2nd

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Phage

thats the exact reason they wouldnt let me drive the rover. Id be all over the place going oh look over there no wait thats cool too.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think this planet should sign a petition of landing a rover or a probe (( a Video Flyby ))to the sight of cydonia for a closer look ..

and get this guessing game resolved .. but what Ive have seen is this of these oddity's is The Matching of Ancient Babylonian Assyrian Sumerian and Egyptian likeness on Mars Like Here on Earth as I Point out on Previous Threads Now tell me what are the Odds of this !! yes True its the Eye of the Beholder of pareidolia... but the Geometry of the Cydonia Site is very strange to be natural.. tho either Religion will Embrace it or not . if it come to be true that something Sentient Was there at one time . and Religion will have to rethink of Ancient Mythology.. of Egyptian and Sumerian or even Hebrew legends and Lore .. referring to the Bible of not of this World Beings like Angels for one ..

The Bible is Full of it Sentient Beings not from this Earth.. it tells the tale .. aka Angels and Demons just what Would Happen if they have went to other planets in the Area also..

I'm not saying there are facts but its interesting these story's what we call MYTHS

Now if NASA has dreams of having bases on the moon and mars and terraform mars

(( and they DO Ive seen the Plans how to build them and Terraform them and how to get there ))

all on a site called !

(( INFORMATION BRIDGE ))
www.osti.gov...

Take a Look! well in Detail knowing what your looking for..

why not sentient beings civ type 2 or 3 4 5 etc... have done so in much older star system or say the taboo of dimension million of years ago as there is older star systems in this galexy then our own and we are just a spec .. newborns if you will.. maybe they seen the Potential of this Planet Called Earth and gave it a Boost
and May of Done so with Mars Ions Ago

edit on 10-2-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by McGinty

There was a program in history called the world without humans or something like that were it was theorized what would remain of our civilization if we suddenly disappear and they said the only thing that would last around 100000 years of the modern industrialized world would be a stainless steel sink

Pretty sad
, does mars renew its surface like earth does with tectonic plates? ooh oh better yet, if mars was earth like at some point did it renew its surface at that point as earth? or the alleged civilization that build the statue is post mars earth conditions???

edit on 9-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

So everything but the kitchen sink...

Thanks for the link

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

hanyak69
Why are all the rocks sheared off on one side and so many cracks? Does this occur naturally?

Martians were bad masons

They had to practice a lot to make half faces
_____
By the way i changed my mind after i found the martian frog but it wasn't so popular so i dont know where do i stand now

edit on 10-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sigh: well I guess we will just disagree then.

Yes, there are tons of cool Martian things to check in the Curiosity's Chemlab, but it would have been a very small inconvenience to drive over to this for a few better pictures. The GOAL of all space missions is to build the publics interest in space exploration again, because that would mean INCREASED FUNDING and new manned space flights.

Let's check out all things and renew the publics interest and imagination in space travel yet again.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EnderMEM

i agree. they ignore stuff like this but get excited over a rock that 'appears from nowhere' :\

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but I think I may have found the debunking evidence for this.

Here are the full images:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

I'm surprised at how small the resemblance is between the pharaoh-head rocks in each photograph. Maybe I'm mistaken, but the relativity to the other objects doesn't seem to leave any other possibility.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lemmin

Yeah thats them also notice how the size perspective changed they look like rocks not boulders. Shadows plays tricks on the eyes and photos are extremely easy to misjudge but we get some really cool illusions at times.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

lemmin
reply to post by underpass61

I created an account just to point this out, but you beat me!

I did a little processing on the image to show the lines of the face better:

Segment of a wall just in front?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
sol 533 mastcam

face?

another one has shown up.

Bottom left of image, side on.

edit on 11-2-2014 by michael1888 because: image inserted

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

top topics