It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Takes Picture of Pharaoh-Like Statue!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

If you're referring to Kermit sock-puppet...you may be onto something.

Otherwise - I'm leaning toward - a lost/discarded wheel.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Indigent
All these rock threads are just Pareidolias

People saw things before in clouds or the face of Jesus in toast, now faces in mars rocks

Yup. Exactly. The mind automatically tries to interpret images the eyes see as familiar forms. laying on your back watching clouds... sheesh people are gullible though.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Look at the evidence i present, are you suggesting my brain made an image of a frog in what you presume to be a wheel???

Madness

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

I was almost convinced...but, having been told that there is no readily accessible water in the area (unless the frog has the ability to get it from the rocks), I'm just going with the greater probability - a space traveler lost a part of their vehicle.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by cavedweller88

Cavedweller

That is an interesting looking formation of something. Carved head of stone which is very old and somehow left over from erosion of who knows how long? Maybe so and if so then we will find more sooner or later.

However, see my avatar? Could it be some petrified alien or maybe a gremlin who was turned into a statue? Nope. It is a 700 lb stone I found in the bed of a local river. At just the correct time of day, from just the right angle, this human like creature, sitting on his haunches with eyes and nose and all pops out and says Hiya folks Hiya Hiya Hiya. Now were this to be seen through a telescope on the surface of Mars, we would for sure like to think that it was a statue of a Martian, but alas.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Seems to stick out, interesting.
edit on 7-2-2014 by Earfling because: Question already answered

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I've got to admit that this is the very first "Mars rock not rock thread" that has ever perked my interest.

It looks sculpted - cheek bone, nose bridge, brow and especially eyelids. All where they need to be. They're not ridged like seeing a face in a mountain or wave or cloud here on Earth (or like any other mars rock I've seen) - they're smooth almost with intention if I'm allowed to be subjective about it heh. The eyelids lol - it's too good to be true. Of course the fact that we only have one angle of any of these is always "meh".

If this is pareidolia it's the coolest example of it on Mars that I have ever seen.

edit on 7-2-2014 by Floydshayvious because: boop

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

McGinty
Probably the most interesting pic yet. Either proof of life, or proof that the whole shebang is shot on a soundstage.

That whole area is covered with flat rock that at one point had another layer on it that deposited material in cracks. The top layer blew off, leaving the "tiles" which have these short little ridges around them. The one in the image seems a little more regular than most (by chance), but there are others, all natural:

Curiosity will be passing by the more regular one, so we'll get a better look at it in a couple of days.

edit on 7-2-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

It's always the Robot that comes in as the voice of reason. Good post, and that dashes the hopes of finding the key to the Martian wine cellars.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Floydshayvious
I've got to admit that this is the very first "Mars rock not rock thread" that has ever perked my interest.

It looks sculpted - cheek bone, nose bridge, brow and especially eyelids. All where they need to be. They're not ridged like seeing a face in a mountain or wave or cloud here on Earth (or like any other mars rock I've seen) - they're smooth almost with intention if I'm allowed to be subjective about it heh. The eyelids lol - it's too good to be true. Of course the fact that we only have one angle of any of these is always "meh".

If this is pareidolia it's the coolest example of it on Mars that I have ever seen.

edit on 7-2-2014 by Floydshayvious because: boop

There is a 2nd angle of that area in the thread...I'm pretty sure it's on page 2 or 3.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
More curiosities...

Most upper left corner of the panorama....

Close up...

Looks like a drawing on a stone...appears to be a bird with wings spread...attacking or carrying something underneath.

Maybe...

edit:

also...some other oddities circled or pointed...not sure what to make of them... they perhaps look weird or out of place.
edit on 7-2-2014 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

McGinty
Probably the most interesting pic yet. Either proof of life, or proof that the whole shebang is shot on a soundstage.

Blue Shift
The top layer blew off, leaving the "tiles" which have these short little ridges around them.

Still a "just rocks" guy, but what that picture (when I first saw it without the highlighting earlier in the thread) reminded me most of a tarp laid down and then covered with sand/rocks. Like landscaping fabric you'd buy at home depot to keep the weeds out... You can even see what looks like wrinkles...

/tinfoil hat
edit on 7-2-2014 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

MarioOnTheFly

smurfy

That's the piece of rock I called a 'Dowel' for the purpose of this thread. There is an explanation given by NASA and concerns the 'blueberries' that abound on Mars, the round balls seen in many pictures deemed to be hematite. The balls can be seen embedded in rock as well as lying around on the ground. What is the most likely explanation is that this is a piece of rock that contained a hematite concretion, or may still, while the outer layering of the rock has eroded away leaving something that looks like a tube.
If you look at other rocks in NASA pictures, you will see similar, but also rocks still intact but full of holes. So you could say rocks with holes, eroded rock that looks like a tube, then blueberries with the rock completely eroded. Millions of years of work..and all those surface rocks are pretty much bone dry and brittle, Mars is not like Earth, it can't be.
edit on 6-2-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

ah yes....the Smurf berries. Sounds plausible...even "out there". But no matter, it's ok to speculate wildly if you're on the debunking team.

I'll go ahead and say that you are seeing "rock" berries because of Pareidolia effect....

I'd like to point out here how poisoned with preconceptions our mind is. SO we have an object that looks like a metal pipe...and in any other situation we would call it...a pipe. But, since we know it's from Mars...IT CAN'T BE A PIPE.

Because we know for certain...beyond any reasonable doubt...that there never was any civilization on Mars. We know that for a fact. How do we know it ???

It's not written about in the Bible

I don't know what you are rambling about in bibles and preconceptions, that's for the birds.
This is what I am talking about,

Caption for picture,

"These hematite-rich spherules were embedded in this Martian rock like blueberries in a muffin and released over time by erosion. The Mars Rover Opportunity found this cluster at its Eagle Crater landing site and analysed their composition with its spectrometers."

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

yet not a single pipe in that pic...

Epic fail smurfy...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It looks very interesting. Here's the thing that sticks in my mind. Directly beneath it, or really to the left on the picture, is a rock which is shaped very similar. Yet it doesn't have all the distinctive 'facial features.' This leads me to think it could be a fairly normal rock formation, with this one just happening to have a few indentations which make it look like a face.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cavedweller88

That episode will be aired on the 24th. If you would like to join that discussion let me know via u2u and we can talk about it.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Indigent
All these rock threads are just Pareidolias

People saw things before in clouds or the face of Jesus in toast, now faces in mars rocks

I'm sure someone has probably mentioned this but, after the initial pictures of the face of Cydonia were collected, it was postulated that if were not a 'natural' occurrence, then on closer inspection at higher resolution we may expect to see further details of the face (like eyebrows and finer details). Indeed the likelihood of these being present is low if the occurrence was a natural one. When a higher resolution picture was obtained on a later mission (names escape me - sorry), we saw that the face in fact possessed the same finer details postulated if it were intelligently created (very sorry but cannot find where my link for this is - I'm not very good at names or dates - but i try - maybe someone can back me up
). I think there may be alot of misinfo about Cydonia circulating, as the implications of explaining it as intelligently created are profound.

The possibility of these rock formations being created artificially rises the more accurately the formation resembles a face - especially when the proportions are more or less accurate to a real face (unlike the 'Grey Man of Merrick' rock formation shown earlier).

Please think of the mathematical probabilities of individual formation's origins - if they seem too remote that they were created by nature, then that is probably the correct assumption. We need to be careful not to tar everything with the same brush - I have a Psychology degree and understand that we are predispositioned to see faces in things - It comes from when we are learning to see as babies - but please, what are the chances of a near-perfectly symmetrical face occurring in nature? Do we know of any such occurrences?

Sweeping statement like the one above do nothing to further investigate the matter and should be taken with a pinch of salt as not alot in this world is black and white, especially in this area. I don't see how one can make this statement - it seems at best irresponsible to me.

I apologise for a lack of source on the face of Cydonia - I'm positive this can be corroborated though and will post the link back here when i find it!
edit on 7-2-2014 by g9000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

g9000
When a higher resolution picture was obtained on a later mission (names escape me - sorry), we saw that the face in fact possessed the same finer details postulated if it were intelligently created (very sorry but cannot find where my link for this is - I'm not very good at names or dates - but i try - maybe someone can back me up
).

Actually I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of how it went.

No eyebrows
edit on 7-2-2014 by fatdeeman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by g9000

Hi, and welcome to ATS, and gave you your first star for both coming aboard and for a good concise post. First of all, the face/statue in question is a collection of several rocks. And secondly, I've been reading on this thread about faces in clouds, and now your question of can a face created by nature have so many human characteristics. Yes. Here are several pics from a thread on many faces in the same cloud. The photo of the cloud is in black and white, but I've colored these faces so they can be quickly seen (but did not change any detail besides color and contrast).

Here's one which has a perfect right eye with iris and eyelashes:

A very cute woman holding up a flaming torch and wearing a tiara:

And a face with eyes closed:

All three are almost photogenic in quality once you see them. They are all from the same photograph. And there are many more faces and images in this same photo, several of those are very apparent once you spot them. Nature is sometimes a harsh mistress, but at other times, as playful as a bunny.

edit on 7-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

fatdeeman
Actually I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of how it went.
No eyebrows

Those sketchy JPEG teeth disappeared pretty quick, too.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join