It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UK Drone Project Taranis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The UK have teamed up with France for the next two years to create a new drone. The project will be based on a recently built prototype by the UK named Taranis

Link also contains a brief run-down on drones: silvarizla.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SilvaRizla

Air Marshalls and there budgets.

The British Army currently runs maintains fly's the UAV fleet at the moment.
See this as no more than "empire building" by the RAF considering they aint got any planes till 2015/16.

edit on 6-2-2014 by foxhound2459 because: mong fingers

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

foxhound2459
reply to post by SilvaRizla

See this as no more than "empire building" by the RAF considering they aint got any planes till 2015/16.

Here is a cool video of it.

And speaking of Air Marshals.....

-NexusNews

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

foxhound2459

That should be Air Marshal and their.

en.wikipedia.org...

The British Army runs the tactical UAV fleet. Taranis and future larger UAVs will quite rightly be operated by the like of the RAF and Royal Navy. There is a reason why the RAF operate the Reapers due to it weapons systems employment. The British Army would have to take on the roles of maintaining and fielding Paveway LGBs and later weapons such as Brimstone. There is a reason why each air arms fields the equipment they do. You mean the Royal Navy hasn't got any combat fixed wing until 2015/16.

edit on 6/2/2014 by tommyjo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I believe me and my family got a taste of what this drone can do.

In August 2013 we broke down on the motorway on a visit to a campsite.
We were on the side of the road waiting for the RAC, when I noticed the clouds had made a circle around our position, with no clouds being in the circle.
It felt rather hot and my hubby's phone discharged, whereas it had been full only a half hour ago.

The next day my hubby came down with what can only be described as typical radiation sickness symptoms.
Then my two teenagers, and finally me about a week later, as we take anti-radiation herbs (due to Fukushima).

If we had had poor immune systems, I am sure we would have succumbed and just been another stastic.
Beware these drones are not for your protection but for taking out citizens they consider to be dangerous, for whatevver reason THEY decide.

God help us all.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I've been waiting for years for some public info about this to be released, I've been trying to follow this as best I can for quite some time. It'll be interesting to see what a final UCAV will look like and it's good that we've teamed up with the French to develop it and share the costs. It seems having BAe buried deep into the US Military Industrial machine has paid off

foxhound2459

reply to post by tommyjo

The RAF flies all the UK drones out of Waddinton - 13 Squadron has the role and operates all of the UK's current fleet of Reaper drones. I'm sure they have embedded Soldiers in there, but it is nominally an RAF op.

foxhound2459

The RAF has plenty of planes, what are you on about?

reply to post by AriesJedi

I'd suggest you lay off those "anti-radiation herbs" - they're messing with your mind. There is nothing "radioactive" about Taranis - The bloody PM and French President stood next to it last week, if it was that dangerous do you think they would have done that?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyjo

CAMC 5RDS FFE,

SHOT OVER

SHOT OUT

So the ROYAL ARTILLERY doesn't have a far superior firing platform ?

Them boys used to fire nukes, 5 heavy regt RA if I remember rightly.

Then im an old Locater 94 regiment Phoenix operator what would I know.

TR2 being phased out.

Drone operator Army usually a Corporal?Bombadier !

And Stu I don't think BN Islanders (The grey ones) count anymore nudge nudge.

Drone operator RAF a Flight officer (failed pilot).

Snobbery on the Brill boys behave IMO. Next you will be telling me the RAF Regiment are Infantry.

And yes I post on WWW. ARRSE.CO.UK

Fly Royal Navy, here's the proof.

Their skill (Royal Navy) was so renowned among soldiers on the ground that some troops specifically called on the GR7A Harriers to come to their aid instead of other allied aircraft.

Sqn Ldr Wildsmith-Gleave continued. "We had such a good relationship with one particular Army controller that he repeatedly requested our Harriers above any other aircraft. He knew they were the best aircraft for the job."

edit on 7-2-2014 by foxhound2459 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Nexusnews

And speaking of Air Marshals.....

-NexusNews

Had to star you, just for the Air Marshals video alone. That made me chuckle.

Interesting thread as well. I've never normally bothered with planes and stuff, especially as I live quiet close to Birmingham airport, so planes are always out, but the other day, I was out having a ciggie early in the morning, whilst waiting for my car windscreen to de-ice, and looked up, and something flew over, opposite direction of the airport.

It was definitely something military, not a normal passenger plane, and RAF Cosford is not that far from me either. It looked jet black, but it was very similar shape to that drone in the video. Obviously wasn't the drone, but would love to know just what it was I did see.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

I don't understand. Where was the drone that (alledgedly) caused all of these problems?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

foxhound2459

Fly Royal Navy, here's the proof.

Their skill (Royal Navy) was so renowned among soldiers on the ground that some troops specifically called on the GR7A Harriers to come to their aid instead of other allied aircraft.

Sqn Ldr Wildsmith-Gleave continued. "We had such a good relationship with one particular Army controller that he repeatedly requested our Harriers above any other aircraft. He knew they were the best aircraft for the job."

edit on 7-2-2014 by foxhound2459 because: (no reason given)

You need to work on your source reference. It might stop you looking just a little bit silly. I fully understand after you mentioned that you post on ARRSE.
I understand that in your haste to go in Crab-bashing mode you forget to analyse who made the statement that you posted!

The actual quote. No reference to Royal Navy and the nationality of the Army controller was Danish! You do realize that Sqn Ldr Wildsmith-Gleave was 4 Squadron, RAF!

The reality. I've bolded the parts so that you can see where you went astray.

Based at Kandahar airfield, the crews from IV (Army Co-operation) Squadron have flown hundreds of life-saving missions in support of British and Coalition troops during the last few months.

Their skill was so renowned among soldiers on the ground that some troops specifically called on the GR7A Harriers to come to their aid instead of other allied aircraft.

"We have worked with British, American, Canadian, Australian and Danish troops on the ground," Sqn Ldr Wildsmith-Gleave continued. "We had such a good relationship with one particular Danish controller that he repeatedly requested our Harriers above any other aircraft. He knew they were the best aircraft for the job."

Link

I'll let you get back to your Crab-bashing on ARRSE.

edit on 18/2/2014 by tommyjo because: additional info added

new topics

top topics

join