It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Nurse Charged With Death Of Nursing Home Patient

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I saw this article (actually, I read a few) and am left scratching my head. I also read many of the comments readers left and many of them (on a different site, not this one) said there is "no way" this nurse did this. The nurse is accused of "aggressively taking this lady from her walker" which resulted in "a broken vertebrae" which caused her death.

Nurse charged in death of elderly nursing home patient...

There seem to be quite a few holes in this story and the fact that the lady laid for almost a month after death before her cremation could be done is also strange. I've worked with the elderly and sometimes what may look "aggressive" is actually a nurse or other health care worker trying to keep them from falling, etc. If she is truly guilty, and the lady truly died from the abuse, then throw the book at her. However, the fact that nothing in the articles states which vertebrae was broken, who this "eyewitness" is, and how this came up at a family dinner leaves me scratching my head...

Regardless, hope they get to the bottom of this, for all the nurses out there. Seems like these days anyone can accuse a nurse of being rough, stealing drugs, etc. and regardless of the truthfulness of the accusations, they're thrown to the wolves (boards of nursing), fired, or thrown in jail!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

edit on 2/6/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I agree with some of the commenters on the original article. There are just too many holes in it for any kind of opinion to be drawn.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I watched the video on one of the news channels in the area and it turns out that the woman had a fractured thoracic vertebrae...they also performed CPR after she collapsed in the bathroom.

As a health care professional, who has performed CPR on people young and old, I am having a hard time believing that this woman died from the actions of the nurse. The "eyewitness" may have witnessed the nurse helping the woman to the restroom and also witnessed her arrest. Could be the nurse was "yelling" at the elderly patient (trying to get her attention/to follow direction) but the woman was at the same time, unfortunately, having a cardiac arrest. Maybe she wasn't shaking her to "abuse" her but to get her to come around if she had lost consciousness.

I find this whole story and the charges quite odd. The woman worked there for nearly thirty years as a nurse...you'd think they would have witnessed some type of rude or nasty behavior way before this incident.

Idk, something about this really bothers me, especially the cause of death. I guess the coroner couldn't find any other cause of death for this 77 year old, unless the media didn't report the entire autopsy findings. Anyhow, I hope she is able to afford a good lawyer, but again, if she did hurt this defenseless elderly woman, then I hope they lock her up for good.
edit on 6-2-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

join