It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to entry level jobs? Observations from a lazy, idiot bum.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
One area you may need to concentrate is clearing up your credit. Many people are surprised to learn that their credit history has a bearing on their employment. Bad credit rating to an employer means bad decisions have been made. So get the credit history cleaned up as quickly as possible. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

I actually pushed to help an ex gf's step dad, who got slapped with a silly felony (a pot felony, i believe), to get his vote back.
I think I got your point, I know you weren't ribbin'. My company has had many people that just sign up to have the company pay the 200+ bucks to get their TWIC cards (which the employee keeps and are good for several years), then go off and find work outside the company that requires a TWIC.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I lost the opportunity to get a job working on a boat in new jersey because of TWIC.

Thats a conspiracy in itself.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Did you not have a TWIC, or were you not able to get a TWIC?
No need to answer if you don't want.

edit on 6-2-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I wasn't keen on the idea of giving digital copies of my fingerprints. Not that I have ever been involved in crime, but I mean.. what If I decide to turn to a life of crime?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Couldnt get it. They said i have to wait seven years. Im pretty close right now so maybe ill try again in two years. Dredging is a really good paying job.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Thank God that the workers coming into the workforce are so lazy and arrogant. It is job security for people like me who are willing to work for a living.

Is it any wonder so many 20-30 year old's are still living with mommy and daddy. They failed to teach simple lessons like everyone has to start somewhere and no job is beneath you. This attitude is what leads to success. So many will never have a family or enjoy financial freedom from there parents or the system because of apathy and entitlement.

For all of you that work hard everyday take a good hard look and be thankful.........JOB SECURITY.
edit on 6-2-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Hmm.. they do a lot of that around here, I may look into it.
You might be on a list friend.. Transportation Worker I.d. Credential.

I don't know you, who is this? I'm hanging up the phone.. prank caller, prank caller.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You just got to work hard, same as its always been. When my great grandpa immigrated over here, he worked 16 hour days at times and didn't have health insurance like we do today. Worked in mines and on farms and everywhere you can imagine. Then he settled down - I think - in a mining town. It was a tough and dangerous life for a while. In many ways we have it easy these days.

As for "illegal" immigrants, many are pulling 12-14 hour days and are extremely dependable workers. They're exactly what the industry needed. They should receive citizenship. IMHO, if someone works that hard and shows they want to succeed then you shouldn't turn them down. That's what America is about.

IMHO, if you can't hold a job and go to college at the same time, you're not trying. Somebody who's working should be constantly thinking about the future and furthering their education and getting licensed for things. Never "ride" a job and stop looking for better things. Always try to improve yourself and know what's going on around you, so if s*** happens it won't take you down.
edit on 6-2-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I disagree.
Things are very different to when are grandparents worked to make a life.

I have held down a job and gone to college, but creating a business from the ground up in the this economy is more of a task than it was 50 or 60 years ago.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

If you believe that then you need to watch this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Tech colleges are garbage. I have 2 AASs one in Computer repair the other in Opto-electronics. Unless you want to do Temping for the rest of your life.Either Military or a big ass student loan are the usual way.to get a career,join the system and become one of the lofty few who are successful cubucle rats.
I was made of more bold flesh.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Me too which is why im boxing.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

onequestion
So I have been in the market for a while now looking for something to apply myself too. Im not looking for work at Mcdonalds or Target. Dont get me wrong their probably great companies to work for and minimum wage is great pay, HOWEVER, they are dead end jobs where you compete with 100 other people for management positions that typically higher part time employees to increase their margins. Thats besides the point though. The point is those jobs require no skills and do not lead to a better future.

Now ive already been to the local union and applied for an apprenticeship position for electrical work and im waiting on call for an apprenticeship designation. This is my first time working with a union so i have no idea how thats going to work out.

This is one of the VERY FEW options that i have found that allow for entry level positions in a field thats not slave minimum wage work. Outside of that ive noticed that entry level positions are constantly requiring experience and the opportunity for people to get in on the ground level and work their way up isnt available.

Does anyone else see this happening?
edit on 20142America/Chicagoq000000America/Chicago0828212014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

Is this a sarcastic post?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   

CleanCare

onequestion
reply to post by AprilFooseball

What long term impacts do you see coming from this?

The long term impacts will be that people will make more effort to increase their human capital (i.e. earn a degree) and get those entry level jobs that they seek.

Simply can't expect everything to come easy.

Yes, they'll get themselves thousands of pounds in debt only to realise to realise at the end of it...

Everyone else has got a degree to...

Capitalism has f*cked the whole world.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think you made the right choice of applying for an apprenticeship. You will find that it is no get rich quick scheme but you will see people taking pride in their work and being fairly compensated for it.

I think more people need to do this. Every trade imaginable has a union and an apprenticeship program.

Good luck. With my brother being IBEW i can say study up on the math before you are invited to take the test.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by buster2010

I actually think that doing away with minimum wage would bring alot of benefits.
I think it would mean higher wages. It creates expectation and competition.

As I said earlier. When someone applies for ten jobs knowing they are all minimum wage, they take the first one. They don't decide based on the job anymore because the jobs all pay the same.

Believe what you believe, but i assure you, get rid of minimum wage and both wages and quality of work go up.

If you get rid of minimum wage get ready for companies to start offering everyone the wages they pay immigrants. You are talking like employers care about their employees and the standard of living for the employees now employers could care less about employees. Back in the 50's what you said would be true but now all that matters is how much profit they can make and paying higher wages cuts into that. If you compare companies that is owned by foreigners to companies owned by Americans on average the foreign companies always pay better and offer better benefits.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

AprilFooseball

I have noticed this as well. The employers have the upper hand right now due to the large number of unemployed people, making it so they can ask for extravagant amounts of experience for an "Entry Level Position".

Just my two cents.

Yep, this is exactly the problem. I've been looking for a job and most of what I see requires special skills or experience that you can only get by being hired and trained in the first place or by having a college education. I'm actually considering joining the Army just to have a guaranteed job.
I can't get an education because I have no job, and I can't get a job because I have no education.

The other problem, if education and training don't apply, is the sheer number of people competing for the jobs. I did an application for a part-time position, maybe 20 hours a week, at this tiny little out-of-the-way gas station and got an interview... The only problem was, the manager told me that she had received so many applications, she had to just go through them and pick people at random to interview. Another time I went in to this little convenience store for a job fair between 4 and 7 or something, and it was absolutely packed just from the few minutes I was inside.
Something is really wrong with the employment situation in the U.S. when you have hundreds of people competing for every minimum-wage part-time job.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by CleanCare

A degree isnt experience and this entire world was built and designed by people that didnt have degrees.

Sorry but apprenticeships did exist and are what this world was built on. Your preconceived notion that a 4 year degree about carpentry is going to enable you to actually be able to work with wood on a jobsite is wrong.

Have you ever been on a jobsite before?

More talk of the college mythology. If you havent noticed this world is being run by people with degrees and as far as i can tell their all idiots.

Heres some wisdom for you, nothing worse then an idiot with an education.

First you will say that i should start at the bottom and work my way up, then i tell you ok no problem. Then when i say you cant start at the bottom anymore now i have to get a 4 year degree. Then i get out of college and you tell me i need experience to get the job and i say ok let me start at the bottom. Then whats next?
edit on 20142America/ChicagoquAmerica/Chicago1828332014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

Such an ugly response. You don't expect anyone to devalue you because of your lack of a college education, but you don't hesitate to bash anyone who does by lumping them into the "idiot" category. There are a lot of idiots in the world, but they are both educated and self smarted.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Interesting. Did you notice the two rather obvious errors you made while you were talking about others making errors?

To the OP: I am with the posters who suggest trying to work for yourself. It's a completely different field, but I got a degree and now work as a freelance editor and writer simply because, like you, I had such a difficult time finding jobs that did not require me to have 2-5 years experience.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join