It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to entry level jobs? Observations from a lazy, idiot bum.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

You must work for hoosierdaddy

No body will fault you

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I don't think we are less hardworking honestly. I do my job well enough, but if I had my own business, I would bust my a**.

We just happen to live in a world with insane communication and transportation, thus outsourcing, etc.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

I may be missing the reference.

I'm a Kentuckian though, so at face value, not hoosier anything.

I pretty much do as a please with my work though, but I am ready to do it for myself.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Sorry hoosier risked almost everything to start his business .

And now it seems he hires people

Trains them

Only to have them leave on him

But in sure it has nothing to do with his attitude

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While while our lazy butts are asking for handouts

He's busy eating steak
edit on pm220142810America/ChicagoWed, 05 Feb 2014 22:09:44 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Another_Nut

Sorry hoosier ranked almost everything to start his business .

And now it seems he hires people

Trains them

Only to have them leave on him

But in sure it has nothing to do with his attitude

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While while our lazy butts are asking for handouts

He's to busy eating steak
edit on pm220142810America/ChicagoWed, 05 Feb 2014 22:03:00 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

I've had two guys working for me for almost ten years so I must not have to bad of an attitude. I also had a felon working for me for a few years, how many places hire felons? Yeah buddy, you really know me.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Haha okay. Yeah my uncle did that. I stayed with my company for 5 years though and have worked years without calling off with no raise, so I think the option of raise or I go off and on my own is fair. It's honestly impossible to compete. I can compete locally, but they are international. One of the great evil companies as decided here on ATS.
edit on 5-2-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

Your words

Not mine

In this very thread you state after training people they quit on you

And i (maybe) a felon . Never looked into it much

But i work hard and and have never taken anything from anyone

And while finding a job may be hard in this capital rules society

My labor (along with the support of many on this site) has always won out

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Need any good workers? i'm single, no kids, young, smart, and considering looking for new work.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Amen brother amen

That's why i got trade

And even with the trade the state will take it from me if i don't pay my blood tribute
edit on pm220142810America/ChicagoWed, 05 Feb 2014 22:28:44 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

You don't know if your a felon? Ok..

Obviously you have never had anyone work for you or been in charge of any number of people. They come and they go for the dumbest of reasons. Yes I've trained a ( few ) people that leave when they learned what they wanted to. That doesn't make me a bad boss. Those people had no intention of staying when they were hired in. You should talk to somebody in human resources. They could tell you stories about workers that will make your head spin.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow

Need any good workers? i'm single, no kids, young, smart, and considering looking for new work.

That attitude will get you places.
I'm full up right now sorry, four full time and a part time janitor thats freezing in Florida. We build furniture and cabinets.
Don't let anyone discourage you about finding work. You build a solid job history slowly, just like building good credit. Learn from every job and gain experience. It will pay off in the long run.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I actually know someone that is amazing at building furniture. I saw a custom cabinet he did with wooden carved elephant posts. I'd be better in a business aspect of any job rather than crafting, though I've never been opposed to learning and labor.

Right now I am looking into starting a business making and selling the refills for e-cigs. I hope one day to own a shop selling antique guns (i like them and less hastle getting antiques and curiosities than a gun license) and coins (amateur numismatist).

If you ever have a job opening, This cat is willing to move.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

If I were younger and had it to do over again I'd probably have went electrician. But as it is HVAC is the family trade really. Add to that I am a petite woman that isn't particularly fond of heights and needed something I could do on my own and there you go. Plus most career centers and community colleges have an affordable HVAC program.

No getting rid of minimum wage will not raise wages. The jobs that pay minimum wage pay minimum wage because they can't pay you any less than that. Read up on conditions before it was implemented. The problem with minimum wage has always been it doesn't adjust automatically for inflation. So it takes an act of Congress to raise it. Which means it goes for long periods of time before it is corrected. When it automatically adjusts to the CPI it creates an actual floor that disincentives many of the cost cutting strategies currently used to compensate for it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Conditions before they implemented it were horrible, and they were horrible for 40 years after they implemented it.
We live in a day where communication is near instantaneous. Companies that pay below a living wage will be destroyed by social media.

I assure you, getting rid of minimum wage will equal employees doing better. We live in a different world now. The goverment is basically setting a wage that people feel is okay and employers are happy to give because it's low. The business I work for could do 3 dollars an hour more easily (i know what they charge per hour to contract us). Also people work less enthusiastically and don't search for a job they prefer because they all pay the same.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

I hope you don't take me serious

I am a tradesmen its in my blood to rib those in a different one

And i love all my tradebrothers (and sisters)

You included

Just can't help myself kinda feels like being on a jobsite again

Just can't see another trade without a little ribbing

Hope you understandand

If not?well I'm an electrician

So ha

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

samuel1990

Maybe you should find a full time job. One that pays either fortnightly or weekly.

I really don't understand why it's so hard to find work though. But I guess that just shows the difference between America and Australia.

Makes me sad.

For you.

Imagine there is a 3rd world country connected to Australia, and imagine your country is the only one on the entire planet that cant manage to enforce its border.

Now imagine around 20,000,000 illegal workers entered your workforce in a 20 year period of time and flooded the entire jobs mark at every level except the top with labor that pays less than half the minimum wage.

Now imagine yourself trying to get a job in the environment. Why would anyone higher you for even minimum wage, when they can higher 2 of the illegals for the same price?

Of course there are laws against this, but just like the border laws, the federal government just cant muster the energy to enforce them at any level.

Be an illegal, or higher one, nobody will stop you, role through a stop sign though, and the SWAT team will be there to taser beat body cavity search and generally ruin your entire year in moments.

It is like the LEOs are trying to overcompensate for their many failures on several fronts by over doing it way to much on the silly stuff.

If you can imagine this situation, you will understand the reasons for all that the OP is talking about.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

You don't need to get an apprenticeship with a Union to do electrical work. Find the largest non-union electrical contractor in your vicinity and walk in and ask for a job. You will get hired at $13-17 just to carry tools to electricians and they will pay for your night school (typically 2 days a week). Electrical contractors are one of the few in a boom right now while everyone else is busting.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

What's worse is not only do they get hired, it's alot more than minimum wage
& it's CASH! I have seen this in 3 states now. Five yrs ago I saw gardeners making
$15 / hr cash, I was shocked.

The best thing about knowing trades is that it is a craft no one can take away
from you & it is a necessity...need electric, water, & homes. I have done some
carpentry in the past & I loved it. I'm too old now unless it's finish work or working
on my own place.

I am a Lic Veterinary Technician since 1995 & 13 yrs were emergency. I am looking
for a change & would like to eventually work for myself.

I too am taking online courses for web design.

Cheers
Ektar

edit on 522014 by Ektar because: miss spelling

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Ektar
reply to post by oblvion

What's worse is not only do they get hired, it's alot more than minimum wage
& it's CASH! I have seen this in 3 states now. Five yrs ago I saw gardeners making
$15 / hr cash, I was shocked.

The best thing about knowing trades is that it is a craft no one can take away
from you & it is a necessity...need electric, water, & homes. I have done some
carpentry in the past & I loved it. I'm too old now unless it's finish work or working
on my own place.

I am a Lic Veterinary Technician since 1995 & 13 yrs were emergency. I am looking
for a change & would like to eventually work for myself.

I too am taking online courses for web design.

Cheers
Ektar

edit on 522014 by Ektar because: miss spelling

I grew up in Indiana, worked construction out of high school, made good money too, first drywall, then roofing, then siding, then landscaping, then masonry, then concrete. I left all of these jobs for the samae reason.

The illegals came in and all the contractors started accepting crap quality for cheaper pay, and slowly but surely all the work dried up. Sure there were plenty of things being built, but only by the illegals that swamped all these trades in my home state.

In the end I went to industrial maintanence and installation. Every job in the area is warehousing anyways, and all those loading docks, overhead doors, dock plates etc... need maintanence, and the pay is still pretty great.

I statred through a temp service at $8 an hour. Within 3 months I was making $16 and the boss man was looking to put me in charge so he could retire to the paperwork.

I had to move though, too bad, I really liked Daniel. The ex-wife wanted to move to the Great state of Texas, I didnt want to be away from the kiddos, so I moved on down to the lone star state as well.

Still looking for good employment, but I am employed, working 6 days a week most of the time, so I am getting by.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

As strange as it sounds i have no idea

A decade ago i was hit with some silly charge

It was deferred its still there when i look up my name on oscn

But when i apply for jobs i never mention it

And i have never failed a background check

Never bought a gun from a store

So i have no clue what my legal status is

And never cared

top topics