It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to entry level jobs? Observations from a lazy, idiot bum.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

So true gogo

When i started as an electrician i told the man i would take 8/hr but i expected to get a raise after i proved myself

Within 6 month's i was up to 11/hr

Trades will pay for you work if you show them you are serious

But don't get taken

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Interesting idea. This is definitely worth pursuing. Im going to have to check into this more.

It also has the benefit of being a field that is needed wherever you go.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
There are many jobs for entry level training:

1. Military - You can usually work in the field of your choosing
2. Over the Road Truck Driver - Cost a few thousand to learn to drive an 18 wheeler - some campuses allow Pell grants or loans for this.
3. Freelance computer programming - Must be a good programmer and be able to sell your product.
4. Merchant Marines - Get training to work on a maritime vessel

In response to your comment about college being nothing but drunken partying, it is for some. Don't go to college if you are not extremely motivated to succeed with a B or better average. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
There are many jobs for entry level training:

1. Military - You can usually work in the field of your choosing
2. Over the Road Truck Driver - Cost a few thousand to learn to drive an 18 wheeler - some campuses allow Pell grants or loans for this. The training institution will help you get your CDL.
3. Freelance computer programming - Must be a good programmer and be able to sell your product. Develop a portfolio.
4. Merchant Marines - Get training to work on a maritime vessel

In response to your comment about college being nothing but drunken partying, it is for some. Don't go to college if you are not extremely motivated to succeed with a B or better average. Anything else is a waste of time and money.
edit on 5-2-2014 by eManym because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

But hvac? You!

Trade order system

Electrician> plumber/ hvac

Eta never listen to the other tradesmen they just don't want anyone else lording our greatness over them

edit on pm220142809America/ChicagoWed, 05 Feb 2014 21:14:59 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

link   

Its a pretty grim outlook. I wonder what it is was like to grow up in 1950's america with the world at your finger tips, even if you made a dumbass mistake or 2. Man they really had it made in that generation.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

Oh yeah. I dont mind making 10 an hour for a few years and grinding it out for a chance at a better future. Thats not even a question.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Entry level jobs have kind of lost there place in most companies for several reasons.
One reason is that training someone is expensive so they would rather hire a trained person.
That leads to problem two, after they train you, you leave.
That one happened to me a few times.
I actually had a guy say "I'd work harder if you paid me more" wth? Your lazy! Why would I pay you more?

I understand what your going through. All I can say is work hard and keep trying.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Best plumber saying

My dad needed a trap cleaned out so he asks me

" hey wanna make ten bucks"

I said

"Hell yes"

So i stuck my hand down there

Turds and sh!t started floating out

Been doing it ever since

Best hvac saying

No one talks to the hvac guys

So i have no clue

Love you keli!
edit on pm220142809America/ChicagoWed, 05 Feb 2014 21:24:27 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by CleanCare

A degree isnt experience and this entire world was built and designed by people that didnt have degrees.

Sorry but apprenticeships did exist and are what this world was built on. Your preconceived notion that a 4 year degree about carpentry is going to enable you to actually be able to work with wood on a jobsite is wrong.

Have you ever been on a jobsite before?

More talk of the college mythology. If you havent noticed this world is being run by people with degrees and as far as i can tell their all idiots.

Heres some wisdom for you, nothing worse then an idiot with an education.

First you will say that i should start at the bottom and work my way up, then i tell you ok no problem. Then when i say you cant start at the bottom anymore now i have to get a 4 year degree. Then i get out of college and you tell me i need experience to get the job and i say ok let me start at the bottom. Then whats next?
edit on 20142America/ChicagoquAmerica/Chicago1828332014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

You just accurately described the problem in Canada. Everyone has a degree or diploma now and its sickening. The average wage for a new grad in the first five years after graduation? A dollar or two above min wage. Oh and the cost of living is almost twice as high here as it is in the US.

Im working on an advanced diploma as a Technologist right now. Im in the last three months and im worried im not going to get a job in my field. This is my third college trades course. I do have some experience which helps but never managed to get past entry level or temporary part-time positions for the first ten years of my career. Youre always told to wait your turn. It sucks and its very discouraging. To make money youre told to move 1000 Miles away to the oil patch if you ever want to be middle class.

Even apprenticing now you need college first for damn near all of them to even be considered for an interview. WHat we are experiencing here is called academic inflation. You dont want it happening there. Ive always envied how in the US one could work their way up the ladder or support families on jobs that didnt require college or university. In Canada, that hasnt been a reality for many years now. No college or University here? Have fun working at McDonalds or Tim Hortons for the rest of your life earning mere pennies above the min wage and never being able to do things like own a car or buy a house no matter how much you save.

And from the looks of it, this disease is working its way into the US.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

Damn well said.

That really put some things in perspective.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Instrumentation > Electrical

That is all.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

whats that mean, can you elaborate?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

onequestion
So I have been in the market for a while now looking for something to apply myself too. Im not looking for work at Mcdonalds or Target. Dont get me wrong their probably great companies to work for and minimum wage is great pay, HOWEVER, they are dead end jobs where you compete with 100 other people for management positions that typically higher part time employees to increase their margins. Thats besides the point though. The point is those jobs require no skills and do not lead to a better future.

Now ive already been to the local union and applied for an apprenticeship position for electrical work and im waiting on call for an apprenticeship designation. This is my first time working with a union so i have no idea how thats going to work out.

This is one of the VERY FEW options that i have found that allow for entry level positions in a field thats not slave minimum wage work. Outside of that ive noticed that entry level positions are constantly requiring experience and the opportunity for people to get in on the ground level and work their way up isnt available.

Does anyone else see this happening?
edit on 20142America/Chicagoq000000America/Chicago0828212014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

You obviously were not born into one of the better families so you should just learn your place and take a job at Micky D's or target because that is all you are good for. You should be grateful that there is a minimum wage if the Republicans had their way there would be no minimum wage you only need a few hours sleep so why not work the rest of the hours you are awake?

Joking aside do you know anyone in the Unions you have applied at? It helps to have a member or two recommend for you to be accepted. Because there are a lot of people out of work and these positions will be filled quickly. Best of luck on finding a position.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

haha

different trades are like gang turf wars. That one said electrical was better than HVAC, which is true, but Instrumentation is way better than electrical.

lol I do both so its even better.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I bow in your presence m'lord

That's what it means

Eta as soon as i get this star thong figured out this thread is getting plastered with them

So many great comments
edit on pm220142809America/ChicagoWed, 05 Feb 2014 21:46:59 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Yep. I have been gleaning what I can from my job and I am planning to ask for a raise or strike out on my own.

I just turned 28, and although I work by myself, i'm ready to start something of my own.

So I guess I will see. I plan to ask for a raise again after winter. I actually only answered the ad for this job because they offered 13 and hour. I made that for maybe 2 months then they moved me and I made substantially less.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I will tell you.. those people made real livings.

My grandfather was in his thirties in the 1950's and my family would not have made out as we have without his hardwork.
He owned and ran a brick factory and bought the land that most of my family now lives on. He has owned several businesses.

I have tried to explain to the older generations in my family how it's different now, but they really don't understand. I would start a business if I could (i am trying).

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I actually think that doing away with minimum wage would bring alot of benefits.
I think it would mean higher wages. It creates expectation and competition.

As I said earlier. When someone applies for ten jobs knowing they are all minimum wage, they take the first one. They don't decide based on the job anymore because the jobs all pay the same.

Believe what you believe, but i assure you, get rid of minimum wage and both wages and quality of work go up.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Yeah that generation was something else. They worked hard, made good decisions, they were loyal and honest.

Its like they came from real struggles from an old world into a a new world and they took action and kept it that way. At the same time this happened they got taken advantage of and were very niave. Niave people are usualy really good people who dont understand, they are too trusting.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join