It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to entry level jobs? Observations from a lazy, idiot bum.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

I bet it is. Sounds like fun actually and you never know where lifes taking you.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Apprenticeships used to be the mainstay of the male dominated skilled workforce in the industrial / manufacturing ages.

Now most manufacturing is automated and outsourced it leaves little scope for skilled manual work apprenticeships apart from the essential services such as electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc.

Also industries require skilled and qualified workforce as their regulations more than before, which often includes a college course.

So these apprenticeship opportunities in the style of the last century and before are less than before anyway and those that hire apprentices, at least here in the UK normally expect the apprentice to be attending a college course once or twice a week for gaining qualifications needed for the industry.

Sometimes college courses have placements in industry which is another way of gaining the relevant qualifications and skills learned during work experience.

link   
reply to post by onequestion

Maybe you should find a full time job. One that pays either fortnightly or weekly.

I really don't understand why it's so hard to find work though. But I guess that just shows the difference between America and Australia.

Makes me sad.

For you.

link   

Electric is the best

Lots of book work learning your code

Find a journeman you get along well with

Chances are they will keep you around

My first journeyman is still one of my best friends

We have worked at many companies together

He took me wherever he went

Being a good apprentice is like being an indispensable tool

They want go to work without yoi
edit on pm220142808America/ChicagoWed, 05 Feb 2014 20:06:13 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

Yeah i imagine its like trucking. You want to spend your day with someones company you enjoy.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

This i can understand. Taking classes while doing an apprenticeship makes more sense because it means the person can actually work their way through college. I can completely agree with your position.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

You . And as long as you keep up at it it is possible to get your journeymans list. In two years ( sooner if you have a goodwork ethic and a boss who will fudge the paperwork)

And after 1 year as a journeyman its test time for contractors lisc.

Then its on your own if you want

Not to mention its a lot easier to be homeless when you know how to get power

I plug my van in and slept at the jobsite most of last year
edit on pm220142808America/ChicagoWed, 05 Feb 2014 20:12:53 -0600_2000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

Is your country suffering from an unemployment rate that's really closer to 20 or 25% than the 7% the media keeps telling you it is?

When you have to start looking for work in that kind of a labor market and can still say that it's no sweat finding a job, get back to us.

In that kind of hypersaturated labor pool, if you aren't the perfect job candidate, you often won't even get a call back. I've been looking for full-time work ever since the crash started although I admit that for a couple of years in there I wasn't looking as hard as I could have been, but I've only landed three callbacks, one editing test and one full interview in that time. Thankfully, I have a part-time job in the field I'm looking in so I've continued to accrue experience. However, they've recently started asking me why I've spent so much time working part-time.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Here's a tip.

More and more people aren't employable as they can't spell or use grammar correctly. This thread is a great example. If you're serious about making yourself employable, while you're sitting around waiting for opportunities, give yourself grammar and spelling lessons. An example is the correct form of "there", "their" and "they're", which has been botched a number of times in this thread and in most threads around here. Same as "your" and "you're".

I'd personally never hire anyone who didn't know the difference. But that's just me and I have that right. If I'm not confident you can come across even half-educated when sending an email representing my business, you surely will not be working for my business.

If you even want a profession with options where you can move up, you're going to have to learn proper spelling/grammar, unless you're starting your own business where it wouldn't matter as much. Work for someone else though and want or expect a pathway to management, you damn well better know the difference between "your" and "you're", or "higher" and "hire".
edit on 5-2-2014 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

You try typing fast on a phone keyboard with awful auto correct lol

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

You've probably missed out on many exceptional candidates through that kind of screening bias.

Your choice!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

That's a good tip, but it's hard to tell by judging an internet post. I never proof myself overly well, and I know I make typos all the time. I see one you made.

Still, polishing your communication is a good tip, but don't assume that if you can't write perfectly you won't go anywhere.

I proofread and we see degreed professionals who are worse off than you and work in a professional health care capacity.

I won't say how because I don't want to jeopardize my job, but it can give you a leg up. Personally, I'm not sure how they got hired. I guess they hired someone like me to polish their resume and cover letter.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Oh the technical college route. They've been flooding the market with their graduates for years.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
There are a few questions you should ask yourself before becoming an electrician
1 are you scared of heights
2 are you scared of enclosed spaces
3 are you scared of being electrocuted
4 will you work in the elements

Those are the biggest

I have been in some VERY tight places very high off the ground in very cold weather with a good chance of being shocked
edit on pm220142808America/ChicagoWed, 05 Feb 2014 20:38:35 -0600_2000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Look at going to your local career center or community college and enroll in their HVAC program. The get on Craigslist and look for a job with an HVAC company. After that your options are wide open once you clear your debt up, you can choose to open your business and bring in money all by your lonesome. You are a felon and you are pretty much going to have to do something along those lines, because you will always have the disadvantage negotiating a wage.

I been there myself and through the grace of God ended up in the right place at the right time. Two years later I am now an equal partner in the company. Your story may not end up exactly like mine but you just have to be willing to do what it takes.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

samuel1990
reply to post by Another_Nut

Move to Australia. Electricians, plumbers and the like are paid close to $150 to $200 P/H (AUD) for house calls.

Again. Australia is awesome!

Here in the states (Oklahoma) its about $100 usd first hour 80 after for service calls

But i charge 75 for side jobs( side jobs are a great way to make money)

Installing recessed lights (cans) can be an excellent way to get cash

And relatively easy

But don't forget that has to cover gas and all other non materials ( time and material jobs)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

MysticPearl

If you even want a profession with options where you can move up, you're going to have to learn proper spelling/grammar, unless you're starting your own business where it wouldn't matter as much. Work for someone else though and want or expect a pathway to management, you damn well better know the difference between "your" and "you're", or "higher" and "hire".
edit on 5-2-2014 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

I too will not hire anyone, even at an entry level position, that can't communicate using proper spelling and grammar. If you didn't learn these simple skills in high school; I don't have time to train you.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Interesting idea. This is definitely worth pursuing. Im going to have to check into this more.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I laughed out loud when i read your response. It was hilarious.

Good thing this thread isnt an application where you hire huh? Its just a thread on a forum on the internet.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Minimum wage is NOT great pay.

Also.. they don't give raises anymore.
I've worked for the company I work for for 5 years. I am considering starting a business, but I haven't moved on from this one because it's easy work, and I work alone. That said, they don't give raises (i asked a few months back). I think that's a problem created by minimum wage existing. Businesses have gotten into the habit of setting wages and not budging on them.

People also don't shop for jobs which shapes the appearance of the American work force. People apply for ten jobs, but they take the first one that will have them because they are all minimum wage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join