It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to entry level jobs? Observations from a lazy, idiot bum.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
So I have been in the market for a while now looking for something to apply myself too. Im not looking for work at Mcdonalds or Target. Dont get me wrong their probably great companies to work for and minimum wage is great pay, HOWEVER, they are dead end jobs where you compete with 100 other people for management positions that typically higher part time employees to increase their margins. Thats besides the point though. The point is those jobs require no skills and do not lead to a better future.

Now ive already been to the local union and applied for an apprenticeship position for electrical work and im waiting on call for an apprenticeship designation. This is my first time working with a union so i have no idea how thats going to work out.

This is one of the VERY FEW options that i have found that allow for entry level positions in a field thats not slave minimum wage work. Outside of that ive noticed that entry level positions are constantly requiring experience and the opportunity for people to get in on the ground level and work their way up isnt available.

Does anyone else see this happening?
edit on 20142America/Chicagoq000000America/Chicago0828212014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

hasnt this been the case for the last so many years?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CleanCare

Maybe. I dont take what people say at face value and im starting to realize more and more this is the issue.

Dont get me wrong there probably opportunities out there somewhere like in North Dakota. Im waiting till the climate warms up a little before i take a jump like that.

However if the rest of the country isnt allowing people to work at an entry level then whats that mean for future generations with no experience?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I have noticed this as well. The employers have the upper hand right now due to the large number of unemployed people, making it so they can ask for extravagant amounts of experience for an "Entry Level Position".

Just my two cents.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AprilFooseball

Ok, so im not alone on this observation.

What long term impacts do you see coming from this?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Wonderful ! I can't honestly say why . S/F !

Most of the most profound philosophy I 've personally heard... came from the street : ' you never know... until you know '.
How brilliant is that ?

I think you know. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bazart

I know exactly what your saying.

Its like trusting people, you can only trust them untill you cant anymore.

Someones your friend until their not.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by AprilFooseball

What long term impacts do you see coming from this?

The long term impacts will be that people will make more effort to increase their human capital (i.e. earn a degree) and get those entry level jobs that they seek.

Simply can't expect everything to come easy.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

onequestion
So I have been in the market for a while now looking for something to apply myself too. Im not looking for work at Mcdonalds or Target. Dont get me wrong their probably great companies to work for and minimum wage is great pay, HOWEVER, they are dead end jobs where you compete with 100 other people for management positions that typically higher part time employees to increase their margins. Thats besides the point though. The point is those jobs require no skills and do not lead to a better future.

Now ive already been to the local union and applied for an apprenticeship position for electrical work and im waiting on call for an apprenticeship designation. This is my first time working with a union so i have no idea how thats going to work out.

This is one of the VERY FEW options that i have found that allow for entry level positions in a field thats not slave minimum wage work. Outside of that ive noticed that entry level positions are constantly requiring experience and the opportunity for people to get in on the ground level and work their way up isnt available.

Does anyone else see this happening?
edit on 20142America/Chicagoq000000America/Chicago0828212014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

yeah this is a growing problem....check out companies that offer manger training programs. Like 84 lumber, Probuild and other lumber companies. They have great programs with tons of upward mobility and pay very well.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I think it's okay to admit that minimum wage is awful pay, especially those who work in social care and can barely afford to get their own place, let alone a car. Have you looked at any technical colleges for courses on whatever you want to go in?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

A degree isnt experience and this entire world was built and designed by people that didnt have degrees.

Sorry but apprenticeships did exist and are what this world was built on. Your preconceived notion that a 4 year degree about carpentry is going to enable you to actually be able to work with wood on a jobsite is wrong.

Have you ever been on a jobsite before?

More talk of the college mythology. If you havent noticed this world is being run by people with degrees and as far as i can tell their all idiots.

Heres some wisdom for you, nothing worse then an idiot with an education.

First you will say that i should start at the bottom and work my way up, then i tell you ok no problem. Then when i say you cant start at the bottom anymore now i have to get a 4 year degree. Then i get out of college and you tell me i need experience to get the job and i say ok let me start at the bottom. Then whats next?
edit on 20142America/ChicagoquAmerica/Chicago1828332014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I know... two posts for 1 response.

Asking to start on the bottom and work your way up isnt the easy option.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by twfau

Have you looked at tuition costs for technical colleges?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Bazart

I know exactly what your saying.

Its like trusting people, you can only trust them untill you cant anymore.

Someones your friend until their not.

Trust people... and , make trust . It's all we can do , until proven... naïve - NOT wrong.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Give it 2-5 years and you will see a major crisis hit, due to this very thing, and the general employment situation in general.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Providence1

Can you add more to what your saying?

Very interested.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
A route someone with a lacking resume and skill list COULD do in the US is get a job at Lowes or Home Depot and get certified to operate a forklift and/or reach truck. You might make a little bit above min wage depending on how well you can argue the justification of a higher wage. More skills equal higher wage but you need to know how to talk in an interview to get it, most are afraid to negotiate and just take the wage offered.

Anyways after working for said company for about a year, apply at a warehouse doing the same forklift reach truck work but you could potentially earn up to $16 per hour depending on location. Of course you will probably have to re-certify through who ever owns the warehouse, but you will have knowledge and experience on the machines they also operate, in turn making you a desirable employee. You will never get that kind of an raise or income increase by working for just one company, use the companies to gain knowledge and experience then learn to apply that towards your own.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
My name may be Bum, but I'm not lazy or an idiot

But seriously, in my experience in looking for computer work, a temporary staffing agency usually have a variety of entry level jobs available and they are usually hire people quickly after they apply.

Apply to all the jobs that pertain to you regardless of required diplomas or job experience, because they might make an exception for you.

You can try to get certified for a specified job position that you enjoy doing. No college or experience required, just pass the test and you're certified to work.

If you are computer savvy they have plenty of jobs for people who are self taught.

Good luck on your job search

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I've given up looking for work at the time being!!!!

heres my story
Went for being a electrician, apprenticeship. Broke my leg, they didnt take me

Quit college became part time janitor. The guy didnt like me when i worked as a janitor, a new boss entered in and i was let go!
Then i was soldering 1/4 inch cables and microphones cable. Said they would keep me for three months and then you are in!!! Four months later i was laid off.

Went back to college for elementary teaching degree ftw.
Became a direct care worker helped handicap people out, left to wrap up education, undergrad
Worked at meijars for 3 months and was fired over the fact i didnt have my shirt tucked in,fact i was just retucking it, bad timing

My neighbor wanted to teach me a trade cnc lathe, worked there last year for 5 months. Except he bullied me throughout and i spoke up on it

I've been in and out of work since I've been out of high school

Wanted to be a sound recordist, audio engineer

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

onequestion

A degree isnt experience and this entire world was built and designed by people that didnt have degrees.

Sorry but apprenticeships did exist and are what this world was built on. Your preconceived notion that a 4 year degree about carpentry is going to enable you to actually be able to work with wood on a jobsite is wrong.

Have you ever been on a jobsite before?

More talk of the college mythology. If you havent noticed this world is being run by people with degrees and as far as i can tell their all idiots.

Heres some wisdom for you, nothing worse then an idiot with an education.

First you will say that i should start at the bottom and work my way up, then i tell you ok no problem. Then when i say you cant start at the bottom anymore now i have to get a 4 year degree. Then i get out of college and you tell me i need experience to get the job and i say ok let me start at the bottom. Then whats next?
edit on 20142America/ChicagoquAmerica/Chicago1828332014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

You are right about the part about the world being run by people with degrees. Maybe they are idiots like you say, maybe they are not. What is true though, is that they put hard work and effort and started from the bottom. Everybody starts from somewhere.

edit on 5-2-2014 by CleanCare because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join