Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

$&&$&@ Girl Scout cookies!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I hate Girl Scout cookies! Ok, no I love those stupid things. What I hate is getting hit up to buy cookies every time i go to the store. I can ignore the Red Cross bell ringers but those cute little Girl Scout puppy dog eyes stare me down and crap, I'm out $3.50. That bugs the heck out of me too, $3.50 for 7 ounces of Carmel delites! They shouldn't cost that much if they were made out of real Girl Scouts!
One thing I should mention, my daughter was a Girl Scout a few years ago so that probably doesn't help me.
Something most people dont know, the scouts have to buy the boxes before they receive them. At least thats how it worked for me.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

I have to buy.. I'm American and can't afford it ! I know what it's like to say no ... could FEMA camps be worse than the treatment you get then...I don't know. Hold fast, man...hold fast.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
You have to support the girl scouts and buy their cookies. I was programmed years ago to say this. I like the peanut butter ones myself.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Something most people dont know, the scouts have to buy the boxes before they receive them

Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me. Next thing you know, they'll be telling you about how you can "start your own home business, be your own boss."

I know how those scams operate.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Wow, this just made me realize that I can never eat another Girl Scout cookie.

Enjoy your small expensive packages of awesome cookies.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

kx12x

Something most people dont know, the scouts have to buy the boxes before they receive them

Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me. Next thing you know, they'll be telling you about how you can "start your own home business, be your own boss."

Lol. My kid sold over 400 boxes. Know what she got? A badge that said 400... Cheap jerks, that was $1400 in cookies.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Samoans with chocolate ice cream sandwich. Oh to die for.

Thankfully, I now have control...I only buy one package at a time. Not the wipe out my bank account like I used too.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

kx12x

Lol. My kid sold over 400 boxes. Know what she got? A badge that said 400... Cheap jerks, that was $1400 in cookies.

Worse. The Girl Scouts are shuttering camps and "consolidating" them.
Most of the cookie money is now going to pay for the corporate pensions and salaries.
I'll post more when I talk to the gs mom I live with...but she is ANGRY about this and is going to probably quit as soon as they close her camp. No parent wants to drive three hours for a day camp. But hey, cookies.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Oh man the Girl scouts... I have even been taken by a mom with a card reader. Used the ole, sorry I would but have no cash. Barely finished my sentence and the reader was out. And that was like 5 years ago, so no square reader on a phone but one of old like 1500 dollar ones.
Moms seem to make some money off of it, some gung ho cookie selling monsters at my old job...
Peanut butter ones are the best, stick them in the freezer and let them get nice and cold.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

LOL I feel your pain...well I use to.

I was a devout thin mint fan for decades. I use to go out every year in February and hunt those Girl Scouts down. They were not always in the same place esp where I use to live. I remember leaving the mall years ago and seeing them in an obscure corner of the mall. I immediately made my bf turn the car around so I could get my fix. I bought 10 boxes of Thin Mints and about 4 boxes of Caramel Delights. Yup I spend a pretty penny on them BUT I had cookies for the entire year. As a matter of fact I still have one box of Thin Mints that i just opened the other night from last year. I am slowly enjoying them since they will be my last box...EVER.

I cut out HFCS and well unfortunately they have HFCS in them so I will no longer be able to enjoy those minty little pieces of heaven. I had two cookie vices in my life, Oreo's and Thin Mints. I cut out Oreo's and learned to make my own and let me tell you they are just like Oreo's only without that added HFCS and other toxins I choose to not eat anymore. Now I will have to find a recipe for Thin Mints.

I was a Girls Scout and I can't remember for the life of me what they cost back in the mid 80s but I don't think it was what it costs today.

I will probably still just donate to them or buy the cookies and send them to my husband. It will be like having gold where he is since there are no Girl Scouts let alone GS cookies on the tiny island he is on.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

kx12x

Dammit, Jim - I MUST buy cookies... There is no option within the ' no - win scenario ' which would allow me to avoid same.
My salesgirl says, ' calm down and eat your cookies ' . I will , and so should you ( BTW - 200 boxes is only $ 1200 for ' scouts ' ...but I push her to do better ). Good rant...S/F. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Sremmos80
Oh man the Girl scouts... I have even been taken by a mom with a card reader. Used the ole, sorry I would but have no cash. Barely finished my sentence and the reader was out. And that was like 5 years ago, so no square reader on a phone but one of old like 1500 dollar ones.
Moms seem to make some money off of it, some gung ho cookie selling monsters at my old job...
Peanut butter ones are the best, stick them in the freezer and let them get nice and cold.

Parents and kids dont get any money just stupid badges. Some of the mothers are cut throat monsters though. Lil jenny has to sell more cookies that the rest of the kids cuz that proves I'm the best mom. Lol, it's ridiculous .

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

Sremmos80

Parents and kids dont get any money just stupid badges. Some of the mothers are cut throat monsters though. Lil jenny has to sell more cookies that the rest of the kids cuz that proves I'm the best mom. Lol, it's ridiculous .

It is ridiculous .

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The trick is to avoid all eye contact while running and shouting "i'm allergic to children!" that way they think youre crazy and won't try to hit you up on your way out

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Is nothing sacred?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

kx12x

I never buy the cookies for just this reason. I'd rather donate 5 bucks that goes straight in to the chapter. If the kids want to buy their own cookies ... that's not my concern. Did my best.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Geesh people

The point of selling gs cookies isn't to see how much you sell and then see what you get out of it. It defeats the purpose, lol. It is supposed to be a selfless act.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
What?!

No one gets hit up with the door-to-door sneak up attack at your house?!

It's not like we open the door for just anyone, but if you have children, and they have friends...well, paths get crossed, you open the door for a child in the neighborhood, and boom!!! Last year we spent over 100 bucks on the cookies.

Maybe they haven't been out yet due to extreme cold temps and/or snow above their heights, but this thread is a great reminder to set up some limits on these sweets, if forthcoming.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

nixie_nox
Geesh people

The point of selling gs cookies isn't to see how much you sell and then see what you get out of it. It defeats the purpose, lol. It is supposed to be a selfless act.

I would think a selfless act would be giving without receiving in return. My problem with this rackets is that they use peoples guilt to sell overpriced cookies. I would happily give them some cash for their group but the cookies make me feel cheated.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join