It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Postal Service Announces Giant Ammo Purchase

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

cosmicexplorer
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

this topic came up awhile back when some other organization bought like a billion rounds or something. At the tiem I was a cop and we were broke so I was getting to qualify 0 times a year with my department because i was qualifying on swat. Our average cop was shooting at most...60 rounds a year for trianing....60. In the army at times we had some extra ammo that we had to burn through but a typical range day still may have been soemthing like 60 rounds with us only having a few range days a year...and in the infantry we used blanks more than anything else. I havent read the original article but id wager any agent recieving more than 200 rounds a year is suspcious and im curious if it is ball ammunition or not.

this was the same for me....I was a boarding team officer in the US Coast Guard and we went to the range twice a year.

We shot the 92f, shotgun and m-16. It was less than 200 rounds per visit or less than 400 rounds per year.

I don't know where this idea that cops are at the range every week is coming from (federal or local)?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. For those who don't know, this a common practice called "staging".

The idea is to generate budgeted allotments of purchase orders and invoice requirements to account for expenditures that one branch cannot sustain or account for on its own. They did this with the Navy SEALS in the early days. They would show paid invoices for stuff like toilet seats and paper clips that showed these items costing way in excess of their actual costs. The allocations matched the expenditures, but the actual items purchased left a remaining balance. The remaining balances were not tracked and therefore didn't exist. That money was then siphoned into the teams and used for material purchases and weapons experiments.

In this case, they're allotting an overall requirement and spreading it out over a multitude of divisions. Each one of these divisions has specifically requested inclusions to allow for their purchases...and they have buffered their expectations based upon a 3 year requirement. The DOD then expanded upon the "buffer" by adding their own additional buffer. Congress passed the requirements privately and upheld the purchase orders through ways and means. Each of the major divisions gets an allotment which exceeds their expectations by about 120%. Notice too, this is "small arms" ammunition. This could easily be explained away by saying that investigators would need to have pistol ammo. However, based on usage statistics for small arms ammunition expenditures, less than 40,000 bullets have been actually fired by postal investigators in the last year. All of those were training rounds.

You've got the right idea here. Its also a smoking gun, to illicit a pun, that the post office has laid off so many people in the past few years, but NEEDS more ammunition...Interesting to say the least.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

727Sky
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

So now the USPS is arming up as well? In the face of ammo shortages, massive Fed buy ups of ammo and the closing down of our lead smelting plants.....it frustrates me to see even the Postal Service buying ammo.

With all the money the post office is losing maybe TPTB are hoping the employees will go postal on each other ? There has been something fishy about all the ammo purchases for the last couple of years; wonder who will be next for the big buy?

the republicans want to privatize the post office, they passed draconian laws and instituted policies for it to lose money. the reason?...so that they could call attention to it publicly and show how it is failing. the sound bites in the media, that are fed to the stupid people, facilitate this supposed outrage...................some postal inspectors carry guns, and others that may not, are still trained. people need to do some research on the crap that the post office has gone through before passing judgment.
edit on 8-2-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The reason these rumors are being passed around, Obama buying a million rounds of ammo, theyre gunno take our guns, there are stockpiles of a 100 million pine caskets stacked in the desert of new mexico, that the NSA is arming in preparation to collect or kill civilians and put everyone in camps... is because the ammo manufactures are creating these stories to sell even more ammo to the commoners who believe it! (Maybe commoner is a bad choice of word. How about the neurotic masses? IDK) And its working BRILLIANTLY. What? Fred my postman is coming to my door packing? MAN! Does anyone know what caliber the ammo is theyre buying so I can get a bigger gun????!! ah! Or take me to the official site where this announcement is posted and Ill take it all back and apologize and buy everyone a round of ammo.. on me.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I work for a medium sized police agency and I can get up to 100 rounds of ammunition to practice every month. That is not counting the ammunition I use for yearly qualifications. SWAT uses even more.

I just find it funny that there are people that will complain about how "bad" of a shot an officer/deputy/agent is after a shooting (for missed shots, too many shots etc), yet when we try to procure ammunition for practice we are criticized and accused of some nefarious plot to enslave the American people.

If your opinion is that officers/deputies/agents are bad shooters and you think too much ammunition is being "stockpiled" which would you prefer? Us to practice more and become/remain competent shooters, or not?
edit on 10-2-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by hyperrman

Great explanation. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
What happened to the amount of money the junk mail company is loosing - oh well just print some more give it to the postal folks so they can go postal and charge the interest to the slaves that keep the U.S. in taxes that pay for the idiots that dream this crap up.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Yes they have law enforcement officers and a "need" for ammunition, but doesn't that in itself make a shocking statement about America? How many unelected bureaucrats are operating independent paramilitary forces in this country now, two dozen or more? I might have to do a little googling here... I wonder how much firepower was involved in paying retirees and delivering mail in Nazi Germany- I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess somewhere between zero and half the amount used in America today.

Is the post office going to kick in your door and take you to a concentration camp? Of course not. But how many separate chances do you have to get harassed by some overblown metermaid from an armed group that most people don't even realize exists? Suppose I want to get you in trouble and I call the local cops with a spurious complaint and they know you're a good person. No problem. I've got dozens of other agencies with different chains of command, different oversight, different rules, etc and each one has its own particular molehill that they are allowed to make into a mountain. You think having 12 shots instead of one might increase my chances of finding someone who will go to your house and violate your rights for no good reason?

I'm sure I sound crazy to some of you, but then most of you have never had your step dad's ex wife show up at your house with a badge and a gun saying that she has a right to bother your mom because she claims to have found an envelope with her address out in the desert on government land. I've been there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join