It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge: Warning Drivers of Speed Traps with Flashing Lights is Free Speech.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Well, I have certainly done this before several times in my life. Flashing my lights to oncoming traffic to let them know there is a speed trap or a cop with a radar gun ahead. I have also done it after leaving "driver's license checkpoints". Although I have never been ticketed for it before, I have heard of others receiving infractions. Also, people that gather on the streets and wave signs warning drivers of the checkpoints ahead have been forced to move and cited for some bs commercial law that didn't even exist.

IMO cops are way out of hand in this time and age. I am glad to see this ruling.

A federal judge in St. Louis ruled Monday that a driver flashing their lights to warn other drivers of an impending speed trap is protected free speech.

On November 22, 2012 Michael Elli received a ticket for flashing his lights to warn fellow drivers of a speed trap, according to Fox 2. The American Civil Liberties Union helped Elli fight the $1,000 ticket all the way to federal court.

Judge Henry Autrey of St. Louis ruled a driver has the right to flash their lights under the First Amendment. Autrey issued an injunction to stop Ellisville Police from enforcing the policy.

The Rest

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Seems like if their real motive was to slow people down...They would welcome it.

But, we really know they are trying to make money...

Salute to the judge....A man with common sense.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
A $1000 ticket. Holy cow or is it a cash cow. It's about money it seems.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

whyamIhere
Seems like if their real motive was to slow people down...They would welcome it.

But, we really know they are trying to make money...

Salute to the judge....A man with common sense.

They put up speed signs, they make campaigns, they patroll, every where you look as a driver it tells you not to speed but people do it anyway.

The only thing that stops them from speeding is hitting their wallet, then they suddenly understand.

I had two nice freinds, but 3 years ago they meet a speeding driver who lost controll of his vehicle and they got killed, i really miss them.

It might be free speach to warn others about speedtraps but it's at the same time complety idiotic, as people only slow down to avoid the ticket.

Now carry on with your silly disscussion

edit on 5-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'd strongly recommend confirming what jurisdiction this federal decision may apply toward for a precedent being established ..and then carry a copy of the case around with you on a small clip in your wallet or purse if you plan to do it.

I know cops can get real mad over this and definitely have known drivers to get tickets over doing this. Improper use of lights for conditions or similar code for the specific ..but it's B.S. to keep from being busted by other drivers, as we all know.

Good for the decision. I hope it gets appealed to rise higher, actually. The wider the better for that one.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

You have never went over the speed limit in your life, silly?? This is not about going 10 miles over the speed limit which generally, especially on highways and freeways is generally safe. This is about police state crap. And yes I will help my fellow American out whenever I can. Now if they are doing it in a school zone that is another thing all together. You obviously missed the point.

It sounds like the driver that killed your friends was reckless, not just speeding. Big difference.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

I don't drive.

If answear you with more i will break the T&C.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

You know when you start a thread you get the drive-bys.

Not silly at all. They write you up for this.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Here where I live, it's known as the world largest speed trap(you can read about how many tickets they write each year). There have been people put that slogan on billboards before you enter this town. lol But, there's a reason for it. Money. And, many out-of-staters are going way over 50mph and running red lights and killing the locals. Many out-of-staters have been killed here too. It's sad, it really is. My drummers dad was instantly killed as he went to cross the highway when his light turned green because an 18-wheeler ran the light. RT. 19 is one of the most dangerous highways in the US, particularly in this area. It is a major through-way.

I use to warn people but I don't anymore because I may be saving theirs, or someone else's life. I always watch the speedometer when going through that place because I have better things to spend moola on.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have never flashed my lights or otherwise warned other drivers about a nearby police presence. Ever. I always follow the speed limit and obey traffic laws, and point and laugh at the other drivers who don't and get pulled over. I have been in so many near-collisions due to reckless drivers in my city that I relish when they get caught.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

They put up speed signs, they make campaigns, they patroll, every where you look as a driver it tells you not to speed but people do it anyway.

The only thing that stops them from speeding is hitting their wallet, then they suddenly understand.

Well, that is relative. Fines are not given out based on total wealth so that basically states that some can afford to speed and some can't. Penalizing the people with the least money. (As % of total wealth deducted.)

And in fact, if you look at empirical data, many studies suggest that speed limits are not used in the fashion that is claimed. (To make streets safer.)

By defining driver compliance as the number or percentage of drivers that travel at or below the posted speed limit, major changes in compliance occurred when speed limits were raised or lowered. However, as reflected in small changes in vehicle speeds, driver behavior did not change, but the standard for measuring compliance, i.e., posted speed limit, changed. [Higher limits mean a greater number of drivers traveling at the limit instead of over it.]

What's interesting is that a while ago there were studies done showing that safest speeds are often 10+ from posted limits. Showing that accidents actually happen more going less than the speed limit. And in some cases safer at higher speeds.

www.motorists.org...

(No link to second study as it's off the top of my memory).

Now, not to say speed limits are completely useless, but their use is for safety concerns supposedly, and not about revenue. But another thing I think it may take away from is awareness, by confusing people that if they are travelling a certain speed they need not be alert when driving. (Cruise control idea even if its by the foot). AKA Checking the speedometer instead of the flow of traffic and the road conditions.

The following discussion is an analysis and comparison of Montana’s experience with the Reasonable and Prudent speed limit, no speed limit in any form, and fixed numerical speed limits on two classifications of highway: 4 lane Interstate and rural federal-aid primary two lane highways.

Reasonable and Prudent speed limits are not based on numerical maximums, but rather they require motorists to drive at speeds considered safe for prevailing conditions.

After 4 years of no numerical or posted daytime speed limits on these classifications of highways outside of urban areas, Montana recorded its lowest number of fatal accidents on the affected roadways.

"people don't automatically drive faster when the speed limit is raised, speed limit signs will not automatically decrease accident rates nor increase safety, and highways with posted speed limits are not necessarily safer than highways without posted limits."

www.hwysafety.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I have a blue LED bar hidden in the intake cowling of my car for this very purpose.

join