It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Long, Cigs: Michelle Obama Praises CVS For Pulling Tobacco

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

beezzer

Kali74
reply to post by kaylaluv

I'm totally going to open a gun shop and start a religion that won't let me do business with Conservatives and undercut the market by 10% every day.

With whom will you sell to?

LOLZ

There are plenty of Liberals and Leftists that believe in gun ownership.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

My point was that the Neo's of the world won't get their guns 10% cheaper at my shop. It's a silly analogy. As silly as getting all upset over a drug store not selling cigarettes.

Okay, as long as you meant it to be silly.

Personally, as a smoker, I roll my own and wouldn't buy from CVS if I didn't. All in all, this is only going to hurt the very people that support CVS on this issue.
edit on 2/5/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Typo

link   
reply to post by Kali74

Take the cotton out from between your ears. Health care plans are compensation for the work you provide your employer with.

Yep some people do need to take the 'cotton out of their ears'.

Business gets to decide what products they sell, and what products they get 'give' people.

Because it is THEIR BUSINESS THEIR RULES.

link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Yeah it's crazy isn't it.

It just boggles the mind to even comprehend how their minds work.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos

kaylaluv

crazyewok

Depends.
If its selling non gay products then no excuse.

If your itsselling a product that actively promotes the gay lifestyle then no it should be a choice for the buisness owner.

A wedding cake is not a "gay" product. A wedding cake is made out of the same ingredients, regardless of who purchases it.

Technically, it becomes a "gay" product when it promotes the gay lifestyle (i.e. two grooms, two brides, gay marriage). For the people making that cake, if they are against that lifestyle, then providing that cake is tantamount to supporting that lifestyle.
If they're willing to lose the patronage, that should be their concern, and not anyone else's.
This isn't very hard to understand.

Is it an "adulterous" cake if they sell it to people who have committed adultery? Is it "liar's" cake if they sell it to people who have lied? Is it a "dishonoring Mother and Father" cake if they sell it to people who do not honor their Mother and Father? Nope. A cake is a cake. If you sell cake made of flour, baking soda, sugar and eggs - then that's what it is - regardless of who buys it. If you sell cake, then you must sell it regardless of gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. You can't say, "I sell cakes, but only to white people".

Now, if you only make and sell Kosher cakes, then I can understand not wanting to make a cake that wasn't Kosher. But if a gay couple wants a cake made the same way you make it for anyone else, it's discrimination if you don't sell it to them.

Getting off topic here, but bottom line - not selling cigarettes to ANYONE is totally different than not selling wedding cakes to gay people only.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Your rights stop when your blowing toxic crap into my face however..then your infringing in my rights.

Yeah well funny that 'progressive's' don't feel about that toxic crap that is sold under 'medicinal usage'.

ncidentally, CVS is not a progressive movement, its a drugstore...and Obama saying good job to making a health choice in product selling is about as scandalous as suggesting you should wear sunblock in the sun.

Well the progressive agenda is why smokers can't smoke anywhere anymore, and are paying outrageous prices. To the point where they are trying to ban what they do in their own homes.

I need sunblock from the progressive agenda if they made such a thing.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

kaylaluv

ProfessorChaos

kaylaluv

crazyewok

Depends.
If its selling non gay products then no excuse.

If your itsselling a product that actively promotes the gay lifestyle then no it should be a choice for the buisness owner.

A wedding cake is not a "gay" product. A wedding cake is made out of the same ingredients, regardless of who purchases it.

Technically, it becomes a "gay" product when it promotes the gay lifestyle (i.e. two grooms, two brides, gay marriage). For the people making that cake, if they are against that lifestyle, then providing that cake is tantamount to supporting that lifestyle.
If they're willing to lose the patronage, that should be their concern, and not anyone else's.
This isn't very hard to understand.

Is it an "adulterous" cake if they sell it to people who have committed adultery?

That all depends on if the particular couple is having an openly adulterous marriage, doesn't it? If the couple in question were doing so, I would bet you dollars to donuts that the very same Christian bakery would have an issue with providing the cake.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Wrong... You can.

You will just get a lot of negative press and lose a lot of business.
But as a private business owner, you are allowed to make that choice.

link   

neo96
reply to post by Kali74

Take the cotton out from between your ears. Health care plans are compensation for the work you provide your employer with.

Yep some people do need to take the 'cotton out of their ears'.

Business gets to decide what products they sell, and what products they get 'give' people.

Because it is THEIR BUSINESS THEIR RULES.

Great let me opt out of the health care plan my employer pays 80% of and give me the cash value instead. What's hard to understand about this?

link   

kaylaluv

Getting off topic here, but bottom line - not selling cigarettes to ANYONE is totally different than not selling wedding cakes to gay people only.

Right.

Because one is based on a business decision, and the other is based on a religious decision.

And we ALL HATE RELIGION!

(shakes an angry fist at Christians!)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

BrianFlanders
Is that why Canadians are such assholes? They don't know any better? They're used to everyone else thinking for them?

As a Canadian...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

neo96
I need sunblock from the progressive agenda if they made such a thing.

Unfortunately, they don't make that product, and we're all getting burned by the progressive agenda.

***EDIT***
If someone did make that product, it would be banned for sale in the U.S.
edit on 2/5/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Great let me opt out of the health care plan my employer pays 80% of and give me the cash value instead. What's hard to understand about this?

So why should employers pay 80% of your healthcare when they are already paying half of your social security contributions, half your your healthcare ALREADY by medicare contributions. They are paying your unemployment insurance, they are already paying for your workmans comp insurance.

So force the employers to pay for your insurance 4 times?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

beezzer

kaylaluv

Right.

Because one is based on a business decision, and the other is based on a religious decision.

Not sure if serious?

But I feel that it may be a reference to one of my posts where I sarcastically said that the connection is that everyone hates religion

Religion will always get peoples hackles up... Either for or against.
Business decision is one thing because no one has a frame of reference.
But when it is based off of a religious belief, then you do and then everyone has a say.

Point is... If it is a private business... The decision to not sell a product can be either Religious, Personal or Business.
You'll get mixed responses but all are allowed.
If it is Government, it can only be a Business decisions, it cannot be based on Personal or Religious beliefs.
That is when everyone has a right to butt in and try and change it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Folks..

Let's get back to the topic please.

~Tenth
ATS Staff

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

beezzer

kaylaluv

Right.

Just because it's a "religious decision", doesn't mean it should be allowed. If someone's religion says its okay to kill people who don't follow their religion - you okay with that?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

dfens

totallackey
I can remember in the 1980's when the tobacco companies were forced at the end of a government lawsuit to pay well over 250 BILLION USD to the US Government. I can then remember the US Government (in concert with the state governments following suit) commencing with the institution of "sin taxes," driving up the prices of a pack of cigarettes over 5.00 USD in nearly every state.

Without these taxes, a pack of cigarettes might cost .50 USD...

So now, where are the crooks going to turn for their money??? The printing press...or simply declare it is a sin to be alive and breath...

Dude... In the 1980's my corrupt sister was forging notes from my mom authorizing me to buy cigarettes and giving me a handful of change. I was more than happy to do it because I could get me some candy. I was between 6-9 years old. I think you got your decades mixed up.

I may have given everyone the impression I was placing the 5.00 USD cost in the 1980's...

I was not...The 5.00 USD is the result from the witch hunt started in the 80's...prices i the 80's went from .50 USD to around a 1.00 USD...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Reductio ad absurdum.

The OP isn't a result of someone dying because of the decision.

Any decision that would result in harm, loss or death of another is not lawful.
Be it personal, religious or business.

Please provide a valid argument.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join