It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Long, Cigs: Michelle Obama Praises CVS For Pulling Tobacco

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

What I do with my compensation is none of their business.

Well then what business does with their money is no one else's business.

If they don't want to provide healthcare=None of anyones business.

If an employer doesn't want to pay for abortion pills, and other birth control pills= None of anyone's business.

Works for me.

edit on 5-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Sovaka
reply to post by neo96

Because its Government mandated... The Government has overstepped its bounds here and there is plenty of fight on the internet about that.
Plenty of Doctors and practices are boycotting anyone with the new health care plans.

But this thread, YOUR thread, isn't about Government mandated health insurance.
You are trying to take a losing battle and turn it into something it isn't.

Government didn't mandate that CVS stop selling cigarettes.
It was their own choice, which they were allowed to do and were not mandated to do.

Back on topic now.

Nope.

THEIR BUSINESS THEIR RULES.

And yeah this thread is about so much more.

Like Beezer already called it exposing the hypocrisy.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

kaylaluv

crazyewok
reply to post by kaylaluv

Depends.
If its selling non gay products then no excuse.

If your itsselling a product that actively promotes the gay lifestyle then no it should be a choice for the buisness owner.

A wedding cake is not a "gay" product. A wedding cake is made out of the same ingredients, regardless of who purchases it.

Technically, it becomes a "gay" product when it promotes the gay lifestyle (i.e. two grooms, two brides, gay marriage). For the people making that cake, if they are against that lifestyle, then providing that cake is tantamount to supporting that lifestyle.
If they're willing to lose the patronage, that should be their concern, and not anyone else's.
This isn't very hard to understand.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Works for me too. Give me the 80% of my health care plan that they pay and put it into my paycheck so that I can buy my own health care without some dick telling me I can't get any birth control. Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

beezzer

kaylaluv
reply to post by beezzer

Last time I checked, you can still practice any religion you choose. You can worship who or what you want, go to whatever church you want. Nobody's stopping you.

Sure. Just don't run your business with those same religious principles or freedoms.

Or you'll get fines/sued/insulted

Well, if your religion tells you to kill others who don't practice your religion - I don't think that would fly, do you? You may not be allowed to do anything and everything your religion tells you to do. Practicing your religion privately is fine, but when you use that religion to publicly discriminate against a group - not so good.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
LOL what a freaking drama queen. Oh no now I only have a million stores to buy my cigs instead of a million and one!!!!
edit on 2-5-14 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Wrong Beezer... You won't get fined unless you break a law.
You may get sued for discrimination, but it will be thrown out and won't go anywhere.

You probably will get insulted and lose a fair bit of business.

But as a private business owner, it is their choice and like many things in life, they have to live with those choices.

I'm not sure why this is such an issue to be honest?
If you want to pick a fight... Pick a fight with the likes of neo whom are making a mountain out of a mole hill in a situation that isn't even relevant.

Pick a fight against those who fight those that discriminate in their private business.
Fight those that scream bloody murder that a private catering company won't provide a cake for a gay wedding.

Fight all the bull# that doesn't need to happen because someones sensibilities were hurt.
edit on 5/2/2014 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by neo96

Works for me too. Give me the 80% of my health care plan that they pay and put it into my paycheck so that I can buy my own health care without some dick telling me I can't get any birth control. Problem solved.

Oh so sticking your hands in the wallet of a business, but they can't stick their hands in your wallet 'works' for you ?

Yeah 5 bucks for a box of condoms, or 15 bucks for birth control pills at a local target because cvs is too expensive, and hell walking to a planned parenthood is even cheaper.

Sure make employers pay 80%.

Of course no one is saying you can't get birth control pills. They are just saying pay for it on your own.

Other options exist.

They always have.

So clearly 'Their business their rules' was just lip service too when it comes to other 'issues'.
edit on 5-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

It is if its to be used to facitate a gay cermony.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I'm totally going to open a gun shop and start a religion that won't let me do business with Conservatives and undercut the market by 10% every day.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Kali74

I'm totally going to open a gun shop and start a religion that won't let me do business with Conservatives and undercut the market by 10% every day.

And you'll be out of business very quickly. Way to prove the capitalist point.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Sovaka
reply to post by beezzer

You may get sued for discrimination, but it will be thrown out and won't go anywhere.

But as a private business owner, it is their choice and like many things in life, they have to live with those choices.

If you want to pick a fight... Pick a fight with the likes of neo whom are making a mountain out of a mole hill in a situation that isn't even relevant.

Pick a fight against those who fight those that discriminate in their private business.
Fight those that scream bloody murder that a private catering company won't provide a cake for a gay wedding.

Fight all the bull# that doesn't need to happen because someones sensibilities were hurt.

There is an open bias against Christian businesses. Believe it, don't believe it.

All I'm doing is pointing out hypocrisy.

Progressives get all upset when you point it out.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

neo96

Kali74
reply to post by neo96

Oh so sticking your hands in the wallet of a business, but they can't stick their hands in your wallet 'works' for you ?

Yeah 5 bucks for a box of condoms, or 15 bucks for birth control pills at a local target because cvs is too expensive, and hell walking to a planned parent is even cheaper.

Sure make employers pay 80%.

Of course no one is saying you can't get birth control pills. They are just saying pay for it on your own.

Other options exist.

They always have.

So clearly 'Their business their rules' was just lip service too when it comes to other 'issues'.

Take the cotton out from between your ears. Health care plans are compensation for the work you provide your employer with. If they don't want to provide health insurance because it may mean "buying" birth control, then they should legally allowed to be able to as an alternative pay the cash value of their portion of the health care plan. They are dishing out that money for my employment anyway, what difference does it make if it's cash or a service?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

beezzer

Sovaka
reply to post by beezzer

There is an open bias against Christian businesses. Believe it, don't believe it.

Progressives hate all hypocrisy, except for their own.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Kali74

With whom will you sell to?

LOLZ

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

My point was that the Neo's of the world won't get their guns 10% cheaper at my shop. It's a silly analogy. As silly as getting all upset over a drug store not selling cigarettes.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

neo96

SaturnFX
Your absolutely right, the progressive agenda is trying to make people quit smoking and eat healthy, so you really should revolt against the nasty progressives and smoke 3 packs a day and overeat by huge margains...that will no doubt show us...

Yeah well the progressive agenda is all about the right of a person being able to do what they want with their bodies.

Now we all know how full of crap they are.

Your rights are fine.
Your rights stop when your blowing toxic crap into my face however..then your infringing in my rights.

But by all means, smoke your brains out in your own home or in designated areas...I personally am libertarian minded when it comes to persons taking substances if they want.

Incidentally, CVS is not a progressive movement, its a drugstore...and Obama saying good job to making a health choice in product selling is about as scandalous as suggesting you should wear sunblock in the sun.

Conservatives are now a relic, the more they scream outrage at things like the potus giving a thumbs up for health, the more in the fringe the whole group left. Keep it up though, I am enjoying the crazy getting so far away from mainstream America and rational thinking that people would rather eat their cat than vote in the nutty ones demanding smoking is good or whatever it is the scream is now.

link   

Kali74

Awesome !

I am going to run for congress, and get elected, and create a government program that gives everyone a free gun.

Then keep at it until it becomes so big, and bloated that it will become a sacred cow that no one will want to touch it.

link   

ProfessorChaos

beezzer

Sovaka
reply to post by beezzer

Progressives hate all hypocrisy, except for their own.

Haters gonna hate!

link   
"$2 billion in revenue".....lol. That means nothing. So they will lose $2bil in cash flow. What are the margins on that cash flow? I suspect very, very low.

So the impact to their balance sheet will be what, again? A meager loss in profits from 1 line item. Meanwhile, they will offset that loss with free advertising/marketing via the buzz that the headlines create. I would suspect that they will net out in the black after all is said and done. The "phase out" ends in October. So they will close the fiscal year with all the tobacco revenue. And the benefit of the advertising from the story. And still retain the ability to renege on the whole thing by concocting some nonsense ("The demand from consumers was so strong, and we wanted to show we were listening. So cigarettes are back at CVS").

Believe nothing, folks. Its all a marketing ploy.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join