It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Long, Cigs: Michelle Obama Praises CVS For Pulling Tobacco

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

signalfire
reply to post by neo96

The prescriptions they sell kill more people than cigarettes do..

second...

And the booze they sell kills even more. This company has every right to drop tobacco if they want to but in the long run they forget that smoking leads to even more customers seeing all the aliments that goes along with smoking.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Why would any business deliberately deny itself 2 billion in revenue?

THAT'S the real conspiracy here!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71
Lots of people are saying their business their rules. I agree 100%, they can choose not to let you poison yourself.
Now there was a thread going around yesterday about hobby lobby not having abortion pills on their insurance plan. The same rule applies right? Their business their rules.
I'm gunna catch hell for this one. Lol,hehe, snicker

Is CVS crying religion is the reason for dropping tobacco like that bonehead from Hobby Lobby? So it's not the same rules because it's totally different.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I honestly have no clue. A business is in it to make money not lose money.

However losing money is a classic symptom of the progressive ideology.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Man from a former employee there i bet that is going to make the front store people very happy. Always their biggest complaint, mainly because no one wants to ever show ID for it and CVS regs dictate a very strict ID check. Now I for one knows that doesn't happen, but you will get the clerk that won't budge.

CVS is top 15 in fortune 100 last time they came around and told us that, and then tell us that we need to make them more money. They rolled out a in store thing called "We Care" it was all about making the customer feel good and all. Had 5 main points, the ending to each of those 5 points was how each one increased the average basket spending per customer. Starting at like 3$ and going up about 20-30 cents for each thing you did to show that "we care".
I am sure they have a way to combat that 2 billion loss they are going to take, as pointed out above probably in the way of lay offs.
Or just hiking up the RX cost a little, always had to hear how CVS was already the most expensive anyway. Which I'd say was accurate

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

CVS is top 15 in fortune 100 last time they came around and told us that, and then tell us that we need to make them more money.

I find it hilarious here that they are defending one of them evil rich corporations.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

so Obama is going to have to buy his cigs somewhere else.....is he not well documented (no not talking about his birth certificate) as a heavy smoker himself?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

neo96
[

Maybe they just dont want to make money off of death?

O is it only allowed in your world for a compnay to only make money out of suffering?

No the goverment shouldnt ban cigerettes. It up to the INDIVIDUAL to decide what they do with there bodys.

But if a PRIVATE compnay wants to forgo selling cancer sticks? Well kudos to them. That there choice and if you want to carry on smokeing? shop elsewere.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

UxoriousMagnus
reply to post by neo96

so Obama is going to have to buy his cigs somewhere else.....is he not well documented (no not talking about his birth certificate) as a heavy smoker himself?

Yeah he is, and it is also well document at the billions of tobacco revenue brings the US government that is usually the first thing to get hit with tax hikes.

And tobacco is currently paying for on of Obama's children programs.

www.foxnews.com...

Well here we have 2 billion dollars and the tax income that would bring not funding that program.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

crazyewok

neo96
[

O is it only allowed in your world for a compnay to only make money out of suffering?

No the goverment shouldnt ban cigerettes. It up to the INDIVIDUAL to decide what they do with there bodys.

But if a PRIVATE compnay wants to forgo selling cancer sticks? Well kudos to them. That there choice and if you want to carry on smokeing? shop elsewere.

Why are you intentionally ignoring this comment made in the original post ?

While it is their perogative to sell what ever they want. They are not fooling anyone with this 'statement'.

Just to argue for the sake of arguing ?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

muse7
"My right to smoke is being taken away from me! But freedom of speech!!! Evil OBAMA!! Taking my guns away and now my cigarettes!!"

"They'll be going out of business soon once smokers boycott"!!!!!!11111111111111111

Seriously though as others have pointed out, their business their rules.

In my opinion it's time that businesses that purport to be interested in their customers health and well being to get out of the business of selling cigarettes
edit on 2/5/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

Right, then switch the tables and add guns and take away birth control pills and suddenly you're the one crying. Yeah yeah, we know you support Obama he's your Messiah and anyone else who disagrees is racist and evil no matter what blah blah blah.

It don't get why Obama (and his wife) feel the need to inject themselves into things like this, or the TM case or talk shows etc.. Seriously, this should not be an issue of politics but as we can see from comments like the above he sure has his little minions trained well.

All this boils down to is people only agreeing with certain business practices only when they stock whatever said people want or don't want etc.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

what statemnet? What statemnet are they trying to make?

An dif they do? So what as a private enterprise they are entiled to make what ever statement they like.

link   

crazyewok

neo96
[

They sell liquor, diet soda and prescription drugs. They still make money off of death.

link   
reply to post by beezzer

THAT'S the real conspiracy here!

I think Obama is going to issue an Executive Order.

It will be a one time non precedent setting waiver to allow an annual double write off as a campaign contribution.

That's why the White House embraced the idea so warmly.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

They sell liquor, diet soda and prescription drugs. They still make money off of death.

Yep plus chips,candy bars etc.

Guess it is only 'bad' to make money of certain kind of 'death'.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yet they still will sell Alcohol, which is linked to 75,000 in deaths per year in the US alone. Bet more people are killed by drunk drivers per year than 2nd oh yeah and now 3rd LOL hand smoke. How many harmful chemicals am I exposed to daily sitting in traffic on the 5 freeway? Here is a link about alcohol deaths. www.nbcnews.com...

edit on 5-2-2014 by kurthall because: added

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well, I don't know why they would do what they did, CEO of CVS Caremark, Larry Merlo is pretty conservative, from what I can gather.

Perhaps they are branching out. . .

MinuteClinic walk-in medical clinics are staffed by nurse practitioners and physician assistants who provide treatment for common family illnesses and injuries, administer vaccinations, conduct physicals and wellness screenings, and offer monitoring for chronic conditions.

Our practitioners can:
Diagnose, treat and write prescriptions for common family illnesses such as strep throat, bladder infections, pink eye and infections of the ears, nose and throat
Provide common vaccinations for flu, pneumonia, pertussis, and hepatitis, among others
Treat minor wounds, abrasions, joint sprains and skin conditions such as poison ivy, ringworm and acne
Provide a wide range of wellness services, including sports and camp physicals, smoking cessation and TB testing
Offer routine lab tests, instant results and education for those with diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure or asthma

www.minuteclinic.com...

Maybe they are planning to make up the revenue loss through these "Minute Clinics"

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Holy crap... Why are you so die hard against this private company choosing to not sell cigarettes?

Anyone would think your life depended on them selling you cigarettes...

They are a private company who chose to stop selling a product that brings them in $2B in revenue.
Big whoop, obviously they have weighed and measured their choice against their financial summaries, clearly they can afford to do it.

What's wrong with a company standing up and saying;
"We don't think smoking is a healthy habit and we don't want to encourage anyone from taking it up?".

Are you personally afraid that if this catches on that you won't be able to find a place to purchase cigarettes?
Are you also afraid that if this "statement" catches on even partially that the price you pay for cigarettes will go up?
edit on 5/2/2014 by Sovaka because: Spelling and Grammar

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

A company says, "we are Christian, we don't believe in gay weddings, we don't want to participate"
-gets lambasted.

A company says, "we won't accept guns in our restaurants"
-gets applause

A company says, "we will close if we have to pay for abortions"
-gets lambasted

A company says, "we won't sell cigarettes"
-gets applause

I see a trend here.

Dunno. . . . maybe it's just me. . . . .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join