It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Long, Cigs: Michelle Obama Praises CVS For Pulling Tobacco

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Sovaka

A company says, "we are Christian, we don't believe in gay weddings, we don't want to participate"
-gets lambasted.

A company says, "we won't accept guns in our restaurants"
-gets applause

A company says, "we will close if we have to pay for abortions"
-gets lambasted

A company says, "we won't sell cigarettes"
-gets applause

I see a trend here.

Dunno. . . . maybe it's just me. . . . .

In case you forget the country is very divided. For everyone lambasting, there is another applauding. I seem to recall chik-fil-a having a boom in sales after their anti-gay statement. The anti-gay crowd formed huge lines to eat their bland chicken sandwiches and send a message. Same goes with the guns cigarettes and abortions.

I think it is just you.
edit on 7-2-2014 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This kind of reminds me of when Michelle Obama made the common sense suggestion for kids to eat healthy and exercise, causing people to flip out acting as if it was government mandate, and new laws where passed. They where screaming "don't tell me how to raise my kids!!!". Idiot politicians showed up at schools with donuts and cookies, fighting their war against common sense. Her statement was completely non controversial, but everything MUST be divisive in politics land.

All first ladies have harmless seemingly non controversial agenda's like telling kids not to do drugs, and planting trees. Michelle choose encouraging good health. She praised a company for making a move toward better health. She didn't send the gestapo to your front door to pull the cigarettes out of your mouth. Even though some of you see making a statement that way, it's not reality.
edit on 7-2-2014 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It's even more ironic since Obama is a chain smoker. But once again the rules don't apply to them, only to us peons.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

jjkenobi
It's even more ironic since Obama is a chain smoker. But once again the rules don't apply to them, only to us peons.

How does one retailer making the decision on its own to stop selling cigarettes set up some kind of "rule" that applies to "us peons" and not to President Obama? Is CVS going sell directly to the White House only?

I honestly don't understand what you're saying.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

jjkenobi

What rule are you talking about?

There are no new laws here, there was no government action taken. She made a statement after the fact. CVS made this move on their own.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Onslaught2996
Conservatives just looking for any reason to B and Moan about the Obama admin..

The same thing happened here and guess what?...the drug stores did not fold due to lack of business.

I smoke and have yet to wonder why the government has not banned this poison. If they weren't so widely available, maybe I wouldn't smoke and would have quit long time ago.

I didn't realize the smoking issue was a political thing for right/left?

Wow... A day without partisan focus would be like a day without sunshine. The world would pause and wonder what broke, I'm thinking. (sigh)

I know it's really not appropriate to pull out a comment for special appreciation beyond the Star we can all give, but I have to say here ... your statement is right on track, Wrabbit. WE are going to quibble like the Hatfields and the McCoys over these trivial meaningless bones that are thrown to us while TPTB put another billion in the bank and laugh, if they even pay attention anymore. This partisan BS day-in-day-out-24 hours-oo-oo-oo has become a self-perpetuating virus.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Look at it this way:

Obama has mandated that all American's must buy health insurance (or face penalties). Therefore, he is feeding an industry (and entire industry) a ready supply of $300mil customers. I can imagine with our population concerns that health insurers won't have much trouble adding to that, for each new birth is another customer. But that little piece of paranoia aside....

...on the other side he is denigrating another entire industry (tobacco growers/producers). Obviously this protects his insurance companies (which he has shown himself so fond of). But this is our president choosing to chime in on a situation where CVS was doing their own thing.

No right winger on here brought Obama into this. Obama brought himself into this.

Yep. And if he had said, "Hold on here CVS, we need to increase the number of cigs you sell" that would have gone over just dandy. Maybe to the 2 out of 10 people that still smoke in this country (that are still alive). Was it Obama that passed the law restricting cigs from being advertised on TV? Did Obama mandate cigs were no longer part of the rations for the Armed Forces? Did Obama pass the laws restricting smoking in eating establishments and bars? Was it Obama who decided to write the movie "Thanks for Smoking"? MOST people (a huge majority) despise cigarettes and what they do to people. It would be bad politics if he said anything other than what he did.

CJ

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

ColoradoJens

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Look at it this way:

Obama has mandated that all American's must buy health insurance (or face penalties). Therefore, he is feeding an industry (and entire industry) a ready supply of $300mil customers. I can imagine with our population concerns that health insurers won't have much trouble adding to that, for each new birth is another customer. But that little piece of paranoia aside....

...on the other side he is denigrating another entire industry (tobacco growers/producers). Obviously this protects his insurance companies (which he has shown himself so fond of). But this is our president choosing to chime in on a situation where CVS was doing their own thing.

No right winger on here brought Obama into this. Obama brought himself into this.

Yep. And if he had said, "Hold on here CVS, we need to increase the number of cigs you sell" that would have gone over just dandy. Maybe to the 2 out of 10 people that still smoke in this country (that are still alive). Was it Obama that passed the law restricting cigs from being advertised on TV? Did Obama mandate cigs were no longer part of the rations for the Armed Forces? Did Obama pass the laws restricting smoking in eating establishments and bars? Was it Obama who decided to write the movie "Thanks for Smoking"? MOST people (a huge majority) despise cigarettes and what they do to people. It would be bad politics if he said anything other than what he did.

CJ

No, it is bad politics that he had a public opinion on this to begin with.

Had he said nothing at all....that would have been the right answer.

The rest of your post is positioned from the viewpoint of zero sum thinking. This isn't "either/or"....because doing nothing is actually a choice. A choice that he ignored (just like in your post....you seem to not acknowledge the passive option of just not saying anything).

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

That is an option. Do you not agree if he agrees in principal with a majority of voters he is best suited to respond in the positive? Why wouldn't he? Why is it bad politics when most see cigarettes as bad?

Edit to add: many presidents before him have said the same thing.

CJ
edit on 7-2-2014 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

TRUTH

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Wasn't Dubya a coc aine user? How many people were sent to prison under his regime?

Didn't his wife Laura kill some people with her car? And yet she walks free?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

ColoradoJens

That is an option. Do you not agree if he agrees in principal with a majority of voters he is best suited to respond in the positive? Why wouldn't he? Why is it bad politics when most see cigarettes as bad?

Edit to add: many presidents before him have said the same thing.

CJ

I take exception to any president steering public opinion to the ill effect of industry. Especially in a time when we will sink untold trillions in keeping industry afloat. At the end of the day, the POTUS has a responsibility to the people. And people still work in a legal industry growing and processing tobacco.

Other presidents may have done the same thing. Group consent doesn't do anything to validate bad behavior unfortunately. LIke mom said, "If they all jumped off the bridge...." (referenced in this thread, actually, where I joke we should throw Michelle Obama off that bridge).

The president should not side with any majority. That is called mob rule, and I detest that worse than outright tyranny. The president needs to uphold the virtues of our nation. Its been a long time since that has happened. Anymore, they don't want to be seen as the "best man for the job", and prefer to be seen as "one of us". Typically in an awkward fashion.

Cigarettes may be bad for people. "Let the buyer beware" is a cornerstone of American commerce. It isn't Obama's job to protect anyone (other than his own family). it IS his job to lead our nation to prosperity. Hows that working?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

And here we are again. Back to bashing the President on a thread about a private corporation doing what they want. And what, you think President's aren't human? He can't voice his opinion on anything? In your opinion, you should be able to but not him? Again, you are fighting history. EVERY President has voice their opinions on just about every subject. It's your choice to think they shouldn't but that isn't reality.

Agreeing with a decision to stop selling smokes has nothing to do with shutting down industry. Passing laws against that industry does.

Edit to add: Politics has nothing to do with doing the right thing by the people. In theory yes, but in reality, well...

CJ

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

ColoradoJens

And here we are again. Back to bashing the President on a thread about a private corporation doing what they want.

SIGH...and here we are again, explaining to you that had the President not had comments denigrating an agricultural industry that feeds entire segments of America, we would have nothing to say about him. And likely nothing about CVS either. Since it IS their business to do with what they want.

And what, you think President's aren't human? He can't voice his opinion on anything? In your opinion, you should be able to but not him? Again, you are fighting history. EVERY President has voice their opinions on just about every subject. It's your choice to think they shouldn't but that isn't reality.

When voicing an opinion damages American industry, especially when we can least afford it due to sky high unemployment and empty coffers from all the bailouts....that isn't the role of a leader. Every President can slap their wife...it doesn't make it right. That is "mob rule" mentality.

Agreeing with a decision to stop selling smokes has nothing to do with shutting down industry. Passing laws against that industry does.

Maybe. But law suits are won based on concepts like "slander" and "libel". And they are won for a reason.

Edit to add: Politics has nothing to do with doing the right thing by the people. In theory yes, but in reality, well...

CJ

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
"James....take me to the nearest 7-Eleven !!"

Presidents' Executive Privilege.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I smoked for 24 years. I was finally able to quit 4 years ago with no relapse.

I have emphysema and an enlarged heart. I'm 47.

There is no doubt that smoking is a health hazard.

There is nothing wrong with POTUS saying that smoking is a health hazard.

There is no questioning the science. Use of tobacco kills late or soon.

Big Tobacco is not an "industry," it's a poison dispensary.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I think the smoking rate in the US has dramatically decreased in the last 15 years from 40% to about 20% today. That is roughly 1 in 5 people smoking. Health trends are changing to preventative rather than reactive methods because before-care costs substantially less than after-care. My guess is the company sees the US tobacco market drying up and when they ran through data to make a determination whether to sell or not to sell, they found it was a wash or going to lose profit. They will make up for that profit loss by instituting other product and pharmaceutical winners, maybe small clinic care. It may be a way to attract a new clientele that is the economic driving force today. I don't think the move to stop selling tobacco is health related, but that is a handy tag to use and it is in vogue to project a healthy image. The presentation of "healthy" does seem a bit hypocritical for CVS. I found this blog, CVS and Cigarettes and thought it was a valid point of view.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

whoops never mind

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Gryphon66
I smoked for 24 years. I was finally able to quit 4 years ago with no relapse.

I have emphysema and an enlarged heart. I'm 47.

There is no doubt that smoking is a health hazard.

There is nothing wrong with POTUS saying that smoking is a health hazard.

There is no questioning the science. Use of tobacco kills late or soon.

Big Tobacco is not an "industry," it's a poison dispensary.

In a free society, free people should be free to make their own decisions.
It would be a lie to say smoking was good for you, for sure. But I know some folks who put food on the table working in those fields. And while Big Tobacco is there, so are regular folks like you and I. Regular folks who, right now, have jobs and aren't on unemployment. Which is more than we can say for a few million Americans at this very point.

While I will likely never agree with any president speaking ill of legal industry, i would say it is particularly dull witted to do so when consumer confidence is already dwindling, folks are still unemployed, and unemployment benefits are about to sunset for them.

ETA: should clarify: it isn't growing season. "Right now" is a touch of hyperbole.

edit on 2/7/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Oh come on, there are NO redeeming values to cigarettes. Sure, smokers enjoy them, but what addict doesn't enjoy their drug of choice? That's the rewired brain signals talking so yes, smokers love their smokes. However, they are bad for not only the smoker's health but everyone around them. Not only second hand smoke, but also the lingering molecules left behind when the smoke settles onto objects. What? Less revenue? Really? Is that a reason to continue with an unhealthy, as in really quite unhealthy, item for sale? Okay, going to compare it to other bad things like too much sugar or fat? Still, attacking something else is not a defense of cigarettes.

Maybe, if we could force the issue, and smokers could actually see all the ingredients that go into a cigarette or come out of one, there would be less use. It would be a very long list and cover a lot of the packaging though! And why is it most smokers take it up during their teen years? Because that is the time kids are more rebellious and liable to try something dangerous or forbidden. And why do so few adults take it up? Maybe because they are a bit smarter by then? Defend your cigs, you love them. But there is no argument for their continued use. They are poison.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join