It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Long, Cigs: Michelle Obama Praises CVS For Pulling Tobacco

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This is great. I hope it snowballs. My mother probably won't last another 5 years. She is only 55. Anyone who wants to cry about this decision, go choke on a smoke, and cut your life short. I won't feel sorry for you, I promise.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

neo96
reply to post by RickinVa

Cigarettes are bad for people plain and simple.

So is the US government don't see anyone trying to ban them.

CVS isn't banning cigarettes, they have made a decision to no longer sell them. There will always be places to buy cigarettes.

I can drive 5 miles down the road and go in a diner right on the main street of a town you've never heard of. Having been a Virginia resident for the last 20 years, I was kind of shocked to see people smoking in there. Now that I think about, I might have been the only person in there that wasn't smoking. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to smoke in a public restaurant, even in Kentucky. But a couple of the smokers also happen to be local cops so who you going to complain to about it? lol

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Why am I not surprised by all the ATS members who are less than thrilled by this action on CVS's part? A big company that is associated with health care items suspends selling an addictive, toxic, carcinogenic and mutagenic product. And worse still The First Lady applauds the decision. The horror! What right does some company have to choose not to sell harmful products, and just where does the First Lady get off praising this decision?

Apparently someone with CVS has a sense of morality, and no longer wants to make money off of the back of Death and Disease. Then again, maybe it sees the legal writing on the wall and wants to limit liability. There have been several arrests related to the heroin OD death of Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's about time that we start holding accountable the distributors of nicotine products as well.

edit on 6-2-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
CVS investors wont be so happy about this.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I bet this is just the beginning.

Then they will start firing employees that smoke or give them some type of ultimatum like the hospitals did.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The only nicotine products that pharmacies should be selling are patches and other quitting aids..

Tobacco has no place in the local chemist store... "PERIOD"!!

As for pharmacy products killing more people than tobacco, that's bull$@#t. The painkillers and antibiotics I got from my chemist, after major surgery have done nothing but help me recover.

The US needs to catch up with the rest of the world in health issues, you're one of the most unhealthy, fattest countries on the planet.

Pharmacies in Australia haven't sold tobacco in over 50 years.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Ironclad2000
reply to post by neo96

The only nicotine products that pharmacies should be selling are patches and other quitting aids..

Tobacco has no place in the local chemist store... "PERIOD"!!

Pharmacies in Australia haven't sold tobacco in over 50 years.

That's crazy talk, mate.

I'm curious if the ban on selling tobacky product in pharmacies was mandated by the government? I am assuming it was. Apparently there is not a big tobacco lobby in Australia because it isn't grown there.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I can't believe it's 2014 and people still enjoy inhaling poison, and fight tooth and nail to keep the poison in stores.
edit on 6-2-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Smoking cigarettes is basically committing suicide.
This is a good move...though there are other worse things out there that should be removed...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
A Pharmacy that sells tobacco? Pretty bizarre if you ask me. I applaud CVS for their revolutionary decision.

Maybe if greedy corporations realize they can make more money in the long run by caring about people, maybe there will be some light at the end of this tunnel for the 99%.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Thats why I buy my tobacco and tubes from a TOBACCO STORE...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

WeAre0ne
I can't believe it's 2014 and people still enjoy inhaling poison, and fight tooth and nail to keep the poison in stores.
edit on 6-2-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

So....still like inhaling ther poison from your car???

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

I'm curious if the ban on selling tobacky product in pharmacies was mandated by the government? I am assuming it was. Apparently there is not a big tobacco lobby in Australia because it isn't grown there.

Oh there are lobbyists alright. Whenever prices are raised, they say the black market will take over. When plain packaging was introduced, they said the black market would take over. And when cigarette display cases were removed...that's right, the black market would take over.

And guess what? every since these laws were introduced no one I know has ever bought a pack of smokes that's 'fallen of the back of a truck.' These lobbyists are grasping at straws and it's pathetic.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
What's the big deal here? CVS is a private company and can decide what to sell and what not to sell. So they aren't going to sell cigarettes anymore. Oh well, go buy them somewhere else. All my friends buy cigs at Royal Farms anyways.

(post by crazyewok removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I wonder if they will receive subsidies?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I think the quote about the 2 Billion dollar revenue loss says it all. In this country, money is king. When CVS realizes that they are losing massive market share to Walgreen's, they'll backtrack. They'll look like fools.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spacemanjupiter

But that's the thing; It would be that persons choice. For the record, I don't know anyone who ever bought cig's at a CVS.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I am having a real hard time trying to figure out what the complaint is in regards to this?

Private company makes private decisions, which public entity applauds...in a nutshell?

Isn't this exactly how it is supposed to go?

I see a free choice made and a freedom of speech used...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

peck420
I am having a real hard time trying to figure out what the complaint is in regards to this?

Private company makes private decisions, which public entity applauds...in a nutshell?

Isn't this exactly how it is supposed to go?

I see a free choice made and a freedom of speech used...

Don't bother trying to figure it out any more than you did. Your description is apt. There is nothing to figure out other than the feeble attempt to drum up anger, even when the example has no direct bearing to that anger.

CJ

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join