It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are only warning flags displayed, and not applause?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
As you can see, I'm a bit prone to recieve warnings (some earned, some...errr...not).

But what people don't know is I've recieved almost as many "applause".

Shouldn't the applause rewards also be displayed? By looking at my red flags one might get the mistaken impression that I'm a troll or a troublemaker.

I appreciate your consideration.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ibn Iblis
By looking at my red flags one might get the mistaken impression that I'm a troll or a troublemaker.

What you aren't?!
Just kidding, well, a little.

But, applauses are reflected in your point bar. The more applauses you get, the more the color of your point bar will change. I think it goes to red or orange or both...

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
On the main forum page, left side.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Recent Applause
Montana Warpspeed Cade Kano minimi minimi amantine theRiverGoddess UofCinLA Mokuhadzushi Djarums Ibn Iblis

Yup, there you are.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Note that Amantine is often on the applauds list...

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think perhaps what he means is, why should we allow posters a direct link to view someone's negative comments but not a direct link to someone's positive contribution to the ATS community...

If links to a member's warning are considered beneficial to our community b/c it provides further insight into WHAT NOT TO DO....Then why not incorporate a feature of WHAT TO DO....

just my 2 cents

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
shouldn't we all already know what to do ?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
But, applauses are reflected in your point bar. The more applauses you get, the more the color of your point bar will change. I think it goes to red or orange or both...

It looks like the mod's don't like me

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Note that Amantine is often on the applauds list...

And for good reason! Amatine's got some brilliant responses and superb research. There's much to admire there.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
shouldn't we all already know what to do ?

Okay....well maybe I wasn't making myself clear enough...

Perhaps what I meant to say was - Wouldn't it be nice to SEE the things other members do and say to make this community what it is as opposed to getting off on people's mistakes and their attempts at getting banned...

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I agree with Enron...

I'm pretty curious as to what posts some of these people are getting applauded over.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
So as not to duplicate answers, you can see the discussion on this very issue here:

[edit on 22-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I agree. Would be nice to see in a side profile a list of Applauds, to wear as a 'badge of distinction/recognition' as it were...rather than just a display of ones 'naughty-ness'.

Perhaps one of the issues with that is that there are quite a few members who have received numerous warns...and in some instances to display them all would require a profile the length of the screen.

As has been pointed out, Applauds are reflected by way of the coloured bar in the side-profile. Still - love your idea.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
I agree. Would be nice to see in a side profile a list of Applauds, to wear as a 'badge of distinction/recognition' as it were...rather than just a display of ones 'naughty-ness'.

Perhaps one of the issues with that is that there are quite a few members who have received numerous warns...and in some instances to display them all would require a profile the length of the screen.

As has been pointed out, Applauds are reflected by way of the coloured bar in the side-profile. Still - love your idea.

The subject has been broached, I can only assume with a system in place (the post bar color) and the upcoming technical changes (new servers), that this is pretty far down the food chain for SO's appetite. I do agree that an emphasis should be put on the positive contributions a members makes, but there should be a punitive measure as well (for members who step well over the line).

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
What you aren't?!
Just kidding, well, a little.

I thought it was votes for the Way Above Top Secret Award (T.W.A.T.S.) that made the bar change color.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Thank you for the 'heads Up' Mirthful...and great to hear of DISC's good work and focus.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I had read that the bar color diff was to indicate the person was a moderator...?

I would like to add my 2 cents......Several days ago, I noticed a familiar name in the 'recent applauds' list, but all I could recall of that member's posts were nit picks at wording or grammar of others. I even went in search of his recent posts, curious to see what he had said that merited an 'atta boy'. I'm still at a loss as to why, even after reading a doz of his recents.....?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I just wanted to add that.... when I first joined I received applaus on probably 3-4 occasions, as a newbie...

I have not received applause in quite some time now, and think that my posts have gotten better. I try to add good content and only make well thought out posts....

I am wondering if "older" members are sometimes "forgotten" or "over looked" when applause is handed out ?

I know.... somebody's going to say.... "well maybe you have not done anything recently to deserve applause." yea yea I know...

this is just an observation of mine...

NOTE : this is not a brown nose attempt at trying to receive applause.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
We could also have icons below the avatars to show how many times a member spouts crap

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Pisky....... that's good...

I was going to say... like the little red "warn" flags, would the applause be little pictures of hands clapping ?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I've never got applause from anyone
but I've never got any warning either,so I suppose that cancels each other out.
And no, Pisky, I've never got one of your symbols either (even though I've probably posted crap a few times at least)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join