No, not a tsunami, just the sea getting closer the coast each year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This year the sea in Portugal has been causing more damage to the coast than I can remember of, literally invading zones it has never reached before.

NO wonder a new surf record might have been broken a couple days ago in Nazaré village, Portugal

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

Looks like storm surge, see it like that a lot in the Pacific Northwest...

Scotland just had a good one in December. Storm Surge
edit on 5-2-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

News search for storm surge in Portugal

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

Thanks for the link

Maybe this is normal in some parts of the world but not normal for Portugal. I`m 47, live in a coast city and never seen the sea cause so much damage as this year.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm in Cornwall,england just across the sea and we are also being battered by the sea.They are storm surges but it is unusual for this many to hit, as they should be further north. Expecting another storm at the weekend. Its relentless

m.bbc.co.uk...
edit on Wednesdaypm051428Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:47:05 -0600472014-02-05T15:47:05-06:00k by LadyTrick because: added link

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

it's because of all the melting polar ice!!!

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

edit on 5-2-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Climate deniers really got a good laugh out of that one, eh?
Too bad that there is really nothing funny about whats going on though...
Some folks need to learn the difference between sea ice and land ice, and their seasonal accumulation.

Is Antarctica losing or gaining ice?

There is variation between regions within Antarctica (Figure 2, top panel), with the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and the Antarctic Peninsula Ice Sheet losing ice mass, and with an increasing rate. The East Antarctic Ice Sheet is growing slightly over this period but not enough to offset the other losses. There are of course uncertainties in the estimation methods but independent data from multiple measurement techniques (explained here) all show the same thing, Antarctica is losing land ice as a whole, and these losses are accelerating quickly.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

never said anything was funny but on your ice growth/melt BS...I submit this:

dailycaller.com...

and

www.dailymail.co.uk...

and

www.washingtonpost.com...

and

www.ecnmag.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Again...
Directly from the article titles of your links above:

Global warming? Satellite data shows Arctic SEA ICE coverage up 50 percent!

Antarctic SEA ICE hit 35-year record high Saturday

And now it's global COOLING! Return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 29% in a year
533,000 more square miles of OCEAN covered with ice than in 2012

Has global cooling begun? Arctic ice caps grow by 60% in a year

The arctic ice cap is... SEA ICE...
There is no landmass at the north pole.
In case you didn't notice all these pictures, such as the one you posted above, show ships trapped. As Ships generally travel in the ocean, they are all dealing with the growth of SEA ICE...

The problem here is not SEA ICE which freezes and accumulates seasonally, its overall loss of LAND ICE which accumulated over decades. The SEA ICE has no effect on water levels as its already in the water, its the addition of LAND ICE that raises sea levels. LAND ICE is melting MUCH faster then its regenerating.

This is called “skewing data” to push an agenda...
From my link above:

Skeptic arguments that Antarctica is gaining ice frequently hinge on an error of omission, namely ignoring the difference between land ice and sea ice.

In glaciology and particularly with respect to Antarctic ice, not all things are created equal. Let us consider the following differences. Antarctic land ice is the ice which has accumulated over thousands of years on the Antarctica landmass itself through snowfall. This land ice therefore is actually stored ocean water that once fell as precipitation. Sea ice in Antarctica is quite different as it is ice which forms in salt water primarily during the winter months. When land ice melts and flows into the oceans global sea levels rise on average; when sea ice melts sea levels do not change measurably.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 2/5/2014 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

looks like we arguing two different things....when I didn't want to be arguing at all.

so...you are saying there are two different types of ice....the "land" ice is what matters. This is what causes "raising" ocean levels.

I am saying that global climate change (or archaic Global Warming) is hard to see when ice caps are growing like crazy whether it is land or ocean ice or not. Global warming people change everytime they are proven wrong which is repeatedly and often.

They change the name from Global Warming to Global Climate, they change the amount of ice melting, they change the the hockey stick graphs, they change what type of ice matters (land or sea)....it never ends.

Al Gore said the ice on the caps would all be gone by 2014.....it is growing faster than ever....even if it is in the ocean.

The earth goes through cycles....as does the Sun....it's that simple. Scientists always try to make a sky falling scenario out of any little change....

you do remember that they wanted to spray the whole north pole with soot in the 70's to make it melt because we were having a global freeze. Aren't you glad that there were people like me telling the science community that they are full of it?

georgewashington2.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
In the uk sea defences built over a 120 years ago have been washed away. This weather is freaky by anyones standards. Whats causing it?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
In the uk sea defences built over a 120 years ago have been washed away. This weather is freaky by anyones standards. Whats causing it?

UK Sea defense is down? Interesting!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

and what agenda do we have...Defcon5? We just don't want to pay carbon taxes to Al Gore and his buddies. That is our only problem with this. If you tell us we won't be taxed for it....then we will listen to whatever pseudo-science stuff you guys want to throw at us.

The only agenda there is ....is the one the Global Warming crowd has .... and that is to tax and regulate everything on earth because of it .... this is why we want absolute proof before we move ahead and the proof is not good....not good at all

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
170 year old sea fronts gone www.telegraph.co.uk... and it aint over yet.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
170 year old sea fronts gone www.telegraph.co.uk... and it aint over yet.

thanks for sharing that....hurricane force winds and torrential rain must be making that a nightmare.

looks like the walls are holding though....

do you live in this area?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

No ,thank goodness. It seems all western shorelines are taking hits since october.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

UxoriousMagnus
I am saying that global climate change (or archaic Global Warming) is hard to see when ice caps are growing like crazy whether it is land or ocean ice or not.

Only sea ice levels are growing, and that may be the result of the loss of land ice.
In other words, global warming is actually creating more sea ice as the salinity levels of the ocean change and the gulf stream slows. Land ice is not growing significantly anywhere, and over all its rapidly decreasing.

UxoriousMagnus
Global warming people change everytime they are proven wrong which is repeatedly and often.

I don't see that at all. What I do see is an interest group, headed by the fossil fuel industrial complex, which is muddying the waters just like I showed you in the articles you listed above. I have yet to see any credible scientist, who is not on the payroll of an interest group, deny that we are reaching a dangerous situation regarding the loss of ice. NASA's said it, NOAA's said it, etc...

Anyone who says that man cannot influence the climate through our activity needs to go back to retake their basic science classes. Just in building roads and cities we influence the climate, effect the temperature, and change the wind and rain patterns. Simply from the heat retention of large concentrations of cement we alter the radiant temperature of an area.

UxoriousMagnus
Al Gore said the ice on the caps would all be gone by 2014.....it is growing faster than ever....even if it is in the ocean.

you do remember that they wanted to spray the whole north pole with soot in the 70's to make it melt because we were having a global freeze. Aren't you glad that there were people like me telling the science community that they are full of it?

Its a very complex system, and I don't think anyone fully understands all the nuances of it yet. Just as I mentioned above, the loss of land ice may increase the amount of sea ice. Also, and for the same reasons, some areas will get colder rather then hotter as a result of global warming. A good example is the UK. Their winters are directly resulting from the warmth of the gulf stream. If you stop the gulf stream they will have record breaking, off the chart, winters compared to normal. So even though they get colder, the "root cause" is actually a result of global warming.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

UxoriousMagnus
The only agenda there is ....is the one the Global Warming crowd has .... and that is to tax and regulate everything on earth because of it .... this is why we want absolute proof before we move ahead and the proof is not good....not good at all

NASA:Consensus: 97% of climate scientists agree

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities,1and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.

The other 3% work in the oil industry.

Also check the charts here: NOAA

Nah, there's really zero doubt, but you do have a bunch of people in denial as they will find any excuse to not modify their lifestyle and don't want to feel any guilt about it.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Things are going to get a lot worse over the next decade, and how much worse is mainly a matter of guess work.

Not only is the melting of glaciers increasing, the ocean is warming up, and as it warms, it expands.

What is more alarming is that deep ocean water is warming, and the expansion of deep water has a considerable larger effect than surface waters.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

defcon5

UxoriousMagnus

NASA:Consensus: 97% of climate scientists agree

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities,1and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.

The other 3% work in the oil industry.

Also check the charts here: NOAA

Nah, there's really zero doubt, but you do have a bunch of people in denial as they will find any excuse to not modify their lifestyle and don't want to feel any guilt about it.
wheres that hockey stick gone?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The whole climate change / global warming bit. This is the stupidest argument in the history of mankind.

Didn't much of the USA used be covered by this land ice? Didn't large parts of the earth goes to desertification? Hasn't all this change occurred before man ever burnt carbon or even existed? And weren't the changes much bigger than what we are seeing now?

Leave it to man and his ego to think that he can heavily influence natural processes that have been occurring since the earth came into existence. We should be worried about pollution of our air, land and water but to frame it as climate change/global warming is ludicrous. Anyone promoting it may as well be screaming about Nibru coming next week, which is probably more likely than man being responsible for the land ice melting.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join