It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13th floor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Has anyone ever been in an elevator in a tall building (or otherwise I guess) that has a 13th floor and had a strange occurrence on that floor?

Maybe like the elevator stopping on the 13th floor for no reason, opening, a strange bright flash of a mixture of blue and white light, and then closing for no reason just to safely bring you to your destination floor?

You can probably guess why I am asking this question...

I have searched through a bit of the internet but there is so much BS on the 13th floor that I couldn't find anything.

Anyone heard of this happening to people?

As ya'll probably know, many buildings exclude the 13th floor because so much strange stuff seems to happen on the 13th floor of buildings. I can think of 1 local news story that is really unnerving. A guy shooting at two girls in Detroit just to jump off the top of an elevator and land on - you guessed it - the 13th floor. The girl he hit and killed was also 13 years old, coincidentally. detroit.cbslocal.com...

Anyways, I am getting side tracked. Anyone ever heard of this happening with the light?
edit on 5-2-2014 by FreeWillAnomaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeWillAnomaly

Sometimes, in a building with 12 floors, you can go up to the 13th floor - the roof - at night and it's very very very dark. There may be bats and owls there. Scary as hell.

Anyway, many apartment buildings and condos are built with no 13th floor, at least not what they call the 13th floor, because people don't want to move onto it. Lots of superstitions about the 13th floor. Good topic.

There's a Wikipedia page on this:
en.wikipedia.org...

The thirteenth floor is a designation of a level of a multi-level building that is often omitted in countries where the number 13 is considered unlucky.[1] Omitting the 13th floor may take a variety of forms; the most common include denoting what would otherwise be considered the thirteenth floor as level 14, giving the thirteenth floor an alternate designation such as "12A" or "M" (the thirteenth letter of the Latin alphabet), or closing the 13th floor to public occupancy or access (e.g., by designating it as a mechanical floor).

Reasons for omitting a thirteenth floor include triskaidekaphobia on the part of the building's owner or builder, or a desire by the building owner or landlord to prevent problems that may arise with superstitious tenants, occupants, or customers. Based on an internal review of records, Dilip Rangnekar of Otis Elevators estimates that 85% of the buildings with elevators did not have a floor named the 13th floor.

edit on 5-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I got the link up to the story now if you are interested.

Yea, hospitals are often built without them due to a lot of deaths on the 13th floor.

What could be behind this? Demons? Demons do seem to be associated with numerology. Considering the path you took, maybe you know more about this than I do. I'm sure you have studied them, at the least, from a scientific standpoint (not sure if you believe they are literal entities or not).

There are a lot of strange things about the number 13 itself, but that is a topic for another thread. I am specifically talking about elevators here. You ever heard about the flash of light thing happening? That one is really bugging me. Has been for years. I just never really talked about it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Oh the dreadful 13th floor lol. doesnt this whole crazy idea relate to the actual number 13, being bad luck or something. Seems a bit stupid, so what about a building with 12 floors and a basement, technically thats 13 floors. Or heck a building with 100 floors still has a 13th floor, its just not numbered, silly

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The path I took? Wha? Doesn't involve any demons, because demons are all in a person's self-created universe (Robert Anton Wilson had a great story about facing his demons, doing a ceremony, seeing demons, getting scared, then realizing they were all created by him, then they turned into nuns from his childhood and he laughed and they poofed away).

People nervous about any superstition have already built that belief into their subconscious. We have family superstitions which I do not break, but could if I chose to. If someone gave me a free hotel suite on a 13th floor for a week, I'd pack my bags and move right in.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

nvm
edit on 5-2-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Well, all i can tell you is, i worked as a technician (maintenance, but i like the other word better) for a hotel group with 6 hotels in Copenhagen, we didn't have any rooms with the # 13, so each floor it jumped from 112 to 114, 212 to 214 and so on.

My main hotel was 100 years old and had been cut in half after a huge fire, so it had it's ghost storys, in the 9 years i worked there i saw and heard stuff that would scare the crap out of people who didn't know the building, but, no real ghost unfortunately.

MORE PIC'S INSIDE OF THE OLD LOOK

This is the one, nice and scary, but no 13th floor though.

Our bar, which is the only room which still have the old look.

edit on 5-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Some hotels don't skip the 13th floor anymore.

Amid the ongoing building boom in the U.S. hotel industry, one thing will be left unchanged: Most of the new high-rise hotels still cater to superstitious travelers by skipping the 13th floor.
"It was one of the first things I learned: Don't go to 13," says industry veteran J.W. "Bill" Marriott Jr., chairman of Marriott International.

Starwood and other big chains generally discourage hotel owners from designating a 13th floor. Nonetheless, in the last 18 months, Starwood opened four Westin hotels with 13th floors. It's opened two hotels without them over the period.

Today, 13th floors are rare enough that many travelers say they've never seen one.

"In 11 years (of travel), I've never come across an elevator with a 13th-floor button," says Keith Kaser of Highland Heights, Ohio.

So when a 20-story Embassy Suites opened in November in Tampa with a 13th floor, it quickly became a conversation piece. Front desk clerks use it to "break the ice" with new guests, says front-desk manager Jeff Silsbee. Two guests have requested floor changes since the hotel opened in November, he says.

People are becoming less superstitious?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mason mike

A pic from the Wikipedia page. Not only is 13 missing, where'd 4 and 14 go??? Did they take out "4" because one and three add up to four? Spooky......

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

I agree that it sounds superstitious. If not for all the weird stuff that happens, I would say there is absolutely nothing to it. Is this random probability, or like someone seeing the number 13 in the clouds whenever it rains, or is there something to it? I mean, there is just as much evidence that there IS something to it as there is that there isn't. I would like to believe it is superstition.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Oh.

So you have studied them from a scientific standpoint, though, right? Whether you believe they are a construct of the human consciousness or not, most people who have read the things that you have most likely read given our last discussion have read a lot about the history of that topic.

Regardless, I would move in too. I'm not afraid of 13th floors. Just kind of strange all the stuff that happens on them. Plus I was hoping someone would know something about the light.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I"m pretty sure I"ve never seen a 13th floor. I don't remember ever seeing one.
The tall buildings I've been in have gone from 12 to 14 ... skipping 13th floor.
I think that's pretty traditional.

Side note - I've been to the top of the World Trade Center and the Empire State Building.
I don't remember if they have/had 13th floors.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese don't like the number 4...Unlucky as I recall.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Without checking statistics, or doing any research whatsoever, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the number of deaths on a 13th floor are not significantly removed from the number of deaths on any other floor... and that Hospitals leave it out for exactly the same reason anyone else does. Some people just don't like the number. Honestly, you're already going to a hospital. The place where you're most likely to interact with sick people. Why not just rule out some superstitions in advance to reduce the number of things people have to worry about?

And now that I bring that up... do you suppose just worrying about being on the 13th floor, for a superstitious subset of the population, could cause a statistical bump in the occurrence of stress-induced heart attacks?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yeah most buildings skip them. A LOT of weird stuff has happened on them.

lol @ the avatar I forgot about that episode

nice

On the path Aliester was going with this,

I wonder if all of the strange occurrences could indeed be due to people's belief that the 13th floor is cursed. Could people's belief be causing this?

I know in Christianity, when it comes to blessings, Jesus says it will be done for you as you have believed. Maybe the same applies when too many people hold on to a superstition?

PLEASE tell me someone knows something about the light.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

minkmouse

If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese don't like the number 4...Unlucky as I recall.

Ah, that explains leaving out the 4 and 14 on the elevator pictured. Thanks, learn something new every minute. Chinese love the number 8, so the 8th floor would appeal to them.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I wonder if the Chinese simply believing that the number 4 is unlucky has caused bad things to happen that are associated with the number 4... Really starting to wonder about that...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
So ghosts and demons must be dumb? calling the 13th floor the 14th floor confuses them?
Its kinda discriminatory too isnt it?

This day and age of political correctness, you cannot offend anybody. I say somebody should sue these hotels that blatantly discriminate against the spirits by not providing a labeled 13th floor.

I'd stay on the 13th floor with a black cat, an open umbrella, sleeping under an open ladder...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

tinner07
So ghosts and demons must be dumb? calling the 13th floor the 14th floor confuses them?
Its kinda discriminatory too isnt it?

This day and age of political correctness, you cannot offend anybody. I say somebody should sue these hotels that blatantly discriminate against the spirits by not providing a labeled 13th floor.

I'd stay on the 13th floor with a black cat, an open umbrella, sleeping under an open ladder...

Woah don't mess with an open ladder! That is what will do you in. Imagine if it was 13 steps on each side of the ladder?!! Or I guess it would have to be 6 on each side plus the top making 13...
As stated before, the 13th floor would still exists, just lacking the correct label. So is it the location of the floor or just the number? If we put a 13th floor on the 115th floor, would the craziness now take place up there?

Sounds just like catering to the customer to me.
Also what about room numbers? I've stayed in #13 rooms or 1/2 13 rooms plenty of times. Unless that is just the military not catering to superstition, which would be strange since the military is full of superstition..
edit on thWed, 05 Feb 2014 13:44:48 -0600America/Chicago220144880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Here are some explanation on some superstitions inc. the #13.

Unlucky number? The story behind dreadful 13 (and 12 other superstitions)

"At the Last Supper in Christian theology, there were 13 dinner guests, so that number is unlucky because Christ was betrayed. ... And in Norse mythology, 12 benevolent gods were gathering in a hall and the evil god Loki attacked the group. Loki was the 13th guest, and the god Balder was killed in the melee."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join