It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How women's wisdom was lost

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
How women's wisdom was lost
Papyrus shreds reveal there was a time when female deities were fundamental to popular belief. Yet ancient geopolitics caused them to be sidelined
www.theguardian.com...

A snapshot of life on the streets of Oxyrhynchus reveals that women's views commanded more respect 2,000 years ago.

A mummified crocodile in the back streets of Oxford might not be an obvious guardian for one of life's great mysteries. But some 2,000-year-old treacle brown remains made up of recycled scraps of Egyptian papyrus, torn up to encase the reptile, hide hard evidence of a substantial historical cover-up. Now stored in 100-year-old kerosene cans and Huntley & Palmers biscuit tins, the ancient fragments were originally dumped as rubbish in ancient Oxyrhynchus (the town of the sharp-nosed fish). Their salvation, by two British archaeologists from 1896, who heard that locals were using the papyri fragments as organic fertiliser, was a godsend: these unpromising shreds rewrite history.

So far just 5% of the million or so fragments have been translated; but they embody the concerns and priorities of the man (and woman) on the street from the first century BC to the fourth century AD. Here is an unofficial snapshot of life at the birth of the modern world. Crucially, this was a time and place where Woman Wisdom, Sophia in ancient Greek, walked the streets. We find her name again and again in Jewish, Christian and pagan papyrus texts. Sophia – a mystical female presence whose appearance is only fleeting in the Hebrew Bible and New Testament – was clearly once a household name and a fixture in everyday lives.

I once spent a lot of time trying to find the hidden meanings behind the female characters in the biblical text, there is more to the story.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I once spent a lot of time trying to find the hidden meanings behind the female characters in the biblical text

For the most part I thought women were regarded as second class citizens in the bible, especially in the OT--but also in NT references to not having them in "power" positions.

But the find IS interesting. If only 5% is translated much more may be illuminated about women's roles and influence than the bible insinuates as translation continues.

(Even though I think the bible is bunk, borrowed myths, imagination, and hearsay.)
edit on 2/5/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I love findings like this.

In my own studies, so many cultures deferred to and revered women. Then it seems that all of a sudden, men had something to fear from that, and basically took over and made us the bad guys.
Yet somehow, women still secretly passed on their knowledge.

It really makes you wonder what things would be like, if it hadn't happened.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
You will probably find better female treatment in eastern religion than on Abrahamic religions.

Bunch of religions in India has female deities as few of the top.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

The truth is often hidden, maybe I will add what I found to the topic, if I have time.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I would be honestly interested to see that if you do.

I respect your threads and responses.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is very well known. Gods and Goddesses rose and fell with not only civilizations but also politics. The Egyptians were famous for it. Set used to be the God of upper Egypt and because of politics he became the devil. The title to this thread and or news article is very misleading.

edit on 5-2-2014 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I have many Praises.

Check this wiki out:
Female disciples

And how about this most amazing character (Our Friend):
Phoebe

Phoebe (Koine Greek Φοίβη) was a first-century Christian woman mentioned by the Apostle Paul in his Epistle to the Romans, verses 16:1-2. She was obviously a remarkable Christian woman of the church of Cenchreae, serving as a great demonstration of service. She was trusted by Paul to deliver his letter to the Romans. Paul refers to her both as a deaconess (Gk. diakonon masc.) and as a helper or patron of many (Gk. prostatis). Paul introduces Phoebe as his emissary to the church in Rome and, because they are not acquainted with her, Paul provides them with her credentials. Some modern commentators have attempted to use Phoebe as a biblical example to ordain female deacons (and other offices) in modern churches.

Phoebe's exceptional character, may be the reason Paul sent her to Rome where she delivered the letter to Rome. By referring to Phoebe as a prostatis, Paul solicits the attention and respect of the leaders in Rome's church, which also included other women Mary[Rom. 16:6] and Tryphena, Tryphosa, and Persis.[16:12] [1]

The Source New Testament offers a literal translation from the Ancient Greek of the Romans passage:
I recommend to you Phoebe our fellow believer, who is a minister of the assembly in Cenchrea, so that you will admit her into your company, the Lord's company, in a manner worthy of the people devoted to God, and stand by her in whatever matters she needs you to help in. For indeed she became a presiding officer over many, and over me also!

— Romans 16:1-2, The Source New Testament[2]

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

thanks flash, I was thinking of the women in Jesus life, but also the OT women who play predominate roles.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I have always wondered what in the world happened to the role of women over the course of our human history - and it is very frustrating to know that we do not have the full story on just about anything. I'm glad to see new information surfacing that may shed some light.

My husband, however, thinks he knows exactly why men in power have actively tried to keep women out of power over these many years:

Because deep down, they are very afraid that we would turn into a "hive", like ants or bees, where the women were the workers and the men were just "drones" and only used for reproductive purposes and then quickly killed and/or eaten afterwards.

He says he's been keeping an eye on me the whole time, just in case I look like I might find him tasty and of no use to me anymore.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Hi ..Ester is one and Ruth is another off the top of my head ...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I was quite surprised to learn in Anthropology that there still exist some societies where women are given more power in day to day living and control than men. Different roles in different settings.

Now personally? I used to wonder about the wisdom of women. Then I had my one and only true male brainstorm in life. I realized that even if I stand in the forest to say it, where no one else can hear it? I'm still wrong...so, I stopped trying to figure out quite why.

edit on 5-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Thank you for posting the topic, I think it is important to spread awareness of the Truth that women are indeed equal to men in ALL matters Spiritual and Mental. It is up to them to choose their own path, and I implore all women to stand up strongly for what they know is right.

I am a bit bias though I admit, because I am sort of obsessed with knowing everything I can about the "Spirit" (especially it's feminine).
That's why in my threads I Sing all of Her Names I can think of with all of my Heart.

It is a desperate attempt of appeasement, "Hell hath no Fury like..."
edit on 5-2-2014 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Pimpintology
This is very well known. Gods and Goddesses rose and fell with not only civilizations but also politics. The Egyptians were famous for it. Set used to be the God of upper Egypt and because of politics he became the devil. The title to this thread and or news article is very misleading.

edit on 5-2-2014 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

I think one of the issues here is that we still live in a world where the largest religions (even corporations or governments in some cases) do not accept women equally.

It's 2014 and all over we have massive ignorance. Racism, sexism, political, economic, religious prejudice etc.

Very little Love or Wisdom...
Thankfully this is Changing.
Things are improving (it's just slow and frustrating).

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I met Sophia at the Hagia Sophia deep within my Kore.

Hagia Sophia (from the Greek: Ἁγία Σοφία, "Holy Wisdom"; Latin: Sancta Sophia or Sancta Sapientia

She Taught me All about the "Holy Wisdom" and a ton of really interesting Wiki links to top it off.

I will post more if the thread doesn't get responses for awhile.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Deborah

Judges 4:4
Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that time.

Besides being a prophetess, Deborah was a judge. As told in the book of Judges, Deborah is the fourth judge to lead the nation of Israel (Judges 4:1-5:31). The Hebrew word for judge is "shaphat " which means "to deliver" or "to rule".

Others here
Women Prophets in the Bible
stronginfaith.org...

And in some schools of thought the shekinah is feminine.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

muzzleflash
I met Sophia at the Hagia Sophia deep within my Kore.

Hagia Sophia (from the Greek: Ἁγία Σοφία, "Holy Wisdom"; Latin: Sancta Sophia or Sancta Sapientia

She Taught me All about the "Holy Wisdom" and a ton of really interesting Wiki links to top it off.

I will post more if the thread doesn't get responses for awhile.

I hadn't seen your post while I was posting mine, things of the spirit.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Absolutely fantastic post!
I hope to return to this later, this is an area I'm really interested in.

S&F

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

This is very interesting. Although in the end, I aspire to the theory that Judaism defined itself from its inception as running counter to belief systems at the time that valued the female divine, and femininity in general. I think it began in Babylon and simply gained momentum over time as it became further entrenched through the generational cultural consciousness. I think this started far earlier.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Chinese,Japanese and muslims? I don't think so. The woman is to be at her husbands side not behind or in front.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join