It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sochi plans mass killing of stray dogs ahead of Winter Olympics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't know how they view dogs.
I tried looking into that be for I posted.

The man in charge of culling them called them " biological waste".

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Well, if he stood in America and said that? I'd call him biological waste. Given that it's a different nation and culture though? I suppose there are reasons I'm happy with where I live and won't move just anywhere, if not here, eh?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I wonder if anyone on this thread knows anything about the Circassian Genocide ?
Sochi is actually one big MASS GRAVE of Dead Circassians .

I do have the symphaties with dogs of Sochi , they could be caught , neutered and released , instead we have this barbaric attack on K9's .

Russia's Sochi Olympics awakens Circassian anger
Little-known indigenous group bands together in months ahead of Games

On the surface, the Russian resort town of Sochi provides an ideal setting for the world to convene for the 2014 Olympics.

Its subtropical coastline on the Black Sea offers beautiful palm-lined seashores for the tourists — February temperatures should be in the 10 C range — while the nearby snow-covered mountains present an ideal staging ground for outdoor winter sports.

"But historically and politically, it's a loaded area," warns John Colarusso, a professor of humanities at McMaster University and a freqent writer on the language and culture of the Caucasus, the mountainous region between the Black and Caspian seas.

Indeed, as Russian authorities scramble to prepare Sochi for the Winter Games in 18 months time, a little-known indigenous group from the region is raising its voice in protest.

It turns out that the year 2014 is not just of Olympian importance. It is also a symbolic lightning rod for the Circassian diaspora.

The year marks the 150th anniversary of the mostly Muslim Circassians defeat and expulsion by the Russian empire from their homeland — the Sochi area — and the diaspora is intent on having its message heard.

"We don't want the Sochi Olympics to happen on our ancestors graves," argues Zack Barsik, a Circassian-American member of the Circassian Cultural Institute. "It's an injustice."

The New Jersey-based institute is spearheading a No Sochi 2014 campaign calling for a boycott of the Sochi Games. Circassians began protesting as soon as Putin presented the Sochi bid in 2007.

"Russians have handed the Circassians a silver tray upon which to air their grievances to the world," said Colarusso, a linguist who studies the North Caucusus and also served as backchannel adviser on the area for the U.S. during the Clinton administration.

"It's a genuine blunder on the part of Putin, I’m afraid. He’s otherwise fairly astute as rulers go."

The Circassians

Commonly called Circassians, they refer to themselves as Adyghes.

Circassians were indigenous to the northwestern region of the Caucasus mountains, now part of southern Russia and Georgia.

Ninety per cent of the estimated five to eight million population live in exile outside of Russia. Roughly four million Circassians live in Turkey. Hundreds of thousands live in Syria, Jordan, Egypt and Germany. Up to 400 reside in Canada, primarily in Toronto.

The Circassians were killed and expelled from their homeland by the Russian empire in 1864 after a decades-long war.

Source: Circassian Cultural Institute, McMaster University professor John Colarusso

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
When I was in Eastern Europe (Chisnau, Moldova) they had such a problem with stray dogs, the "mayor" (or whatever the elected leader is called) won the election by pledging to solve the stray dog problem. Their solution?

Set out buckets of anti-freeze. When that didn't kill them all off, they sent out police squads with AK-47's to finish off the rest. The people I talked/interacted with seemed fairly indifferent to the entire thing.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

violet

What a horrible country Russia is.

Yeah, because this only happens in Russia www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Yeah, here is Denver after the Pit Bull ban. We aren't any better than the Russians in this regard.

blogs.westword.com...

If you really love dogs, you might not want to look at this link.

Oh and these dogs were someone's pets at some time or another.
edit on 5-2-2014 by TheConspiracyPages because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I would say it's already done. We are pretty close so watch "all dogs go to heaven" and shed your tear.

Also, if it's done humanely.. meh, what's the difference between them going to a pound and being euthanized and this?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
domestic animals have no place running wild anywhere on earth. if they are without owners they should be captured and killed.
if they are with owners, they should be captured, and owners fined.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheConspiracyPages

Dog bans are b.s.
I wouldn't give my dog over. If you hand your dog over for execution you are a weak American.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
P.S. as a country we can't complain.. did you see what we did to stray dogs in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Yeah, it wasn't humane.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yeah, I actually left Denver over this.
edit on 5-2-2014 by TheConspiracyPages because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

The anti freeze is completely f---ed up. I mean, honestly, AKs completely humane. Anti-freeze? Shoot the people that supported that. I almost don't even believe they used anti-freeze as the solution.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Okay. So I love dogs, and would find this hard to accept. However, to say that Russia is a horrible country based on this...Well, gee. Seeing as how THOUSANDS of BABIES are killed in America every single stinkin day, that would make this a pretty horrific place.

Don't you think?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Bisman
domestic animals have no place running wild anywhere on earth. if they are without owners they should be captured and killed.
if they are with owners, they should be captured, and owners fined.

In one way I agree, I am not a fan of big dogs on the loose. I'm scared of dogs. I used to be scared of cats though, until I got a cat. My fear of dogs was taught by my father who is scared. He kept saying they will bite me.

I think they might be saying that as a way to justify the brutal way of addressing the problem.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Well I don't know about that. I'm guessing you mean abortions? I won't comment about that, thank you.
Americans shoot people every day and that to me is really bad.
I still don't like Russia and their policies. Will learn more about the country when the Games begin in a few hours.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
P.S. as a country we can't complain.. did you see what we did to stray dogs in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Yeah, it wasn't humane.

No I didn't see that, only saw what was done to innocent human beings.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by violet

I would say it's already done. We are pretty close so watch "all dogs go to heaven" and shed your tear.

Also, if it's done humanely.. meh, what's the difference between them going to a pound and being euthanized and this?

There was no mention euthanasia was used, it was beatings and poisoned meat.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join