It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sochi plans mass killing of stray dogs ahead of Winter Olympics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Sochi plans mass killing of stray dogs ahead of Winter Olympics

A local pest control company has been ordered to exterminate the animals after a stray dog interrupted last week's dress rehearsal for the Olympic opening ceremony. Authorities refused to specify whether the dogs will be shot or poisoned, or how their carcasses will be disposed of.

NYDaily News

This is cruel.

There's been plenty of time before this event to have implemented other means to reduce the population of homeless dogs.
To do this in the 11th hour, days before opening ceremonies?
Because of image?

What a horrible country Russia is.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thats so inhumane & sad! How disgusting. I saw on the news this morning they pushed residents out of their homes in to rundown hotels etc aswell all for accomodation, all for the olympics how pathetic.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

How are dogs viewed in Russia? I know it can vary wildly around the world. In the U.S., we love our dogs and I have two myself who I'd fight to defend without question. If I were in some parts of Asia, by contrast, I'd be able to choose my own dog like a lobster in the tank at Red Lobster ..and for the same ultimate outcome/purpose. Such is life around the world for radically different values. Ask a Hindu about getting a Big Mac some day..(on second thought..don't. Not all are peace loving folk..lol)

So, are dogs considered family like the are in many Western nations or something less? Is the stray dog population at the level of a problem or threat? In some areas of the world, stray dogs are at a level where they pack up and threaten humans, not to mention lesser animals as the next dinner item. (Maybe revenge for those menu listings across Asia)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well that's not very nice
...Poor puppies

edit on 2/5/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

What else they can do than killing them?

This Dogs are a danger for the People and before they
start to put them in to a Shelter they should take
care of their homeless Kids and Seniors.

Russia is not a Pleasure Park with Ponies, Campfire and free Cookies for everyone!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

They have a very large number of wild or stray dogs over there, buddy was over there for a while and got bitten by one had to get rabies shots for a while just in case. I'm not even talking you see one or two every block or so, there is enough they form packs. They've let it get way out of hand.

Guessing they're wanting to clean up their image be for everyone gets over there and someone gets bitten.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

A Dog is seen as a Dog in the rural Area
and as a Family member in a Town.

"Homeless Dogs" are seen as a plague because they are dangerous
for the People and for the Lifestock!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

violet

There's been plenty of time before this event to have implemented other means to reduce the population of homeless dogs.
To do this in the 11th hour, days before opening ceremonies?
Because of image?

What a horrible country Russia is.

Yes, clearly they could have done this months ago.

Then all they would have needed to do would be paint a sign saying 'Собаки запретили' and stick that up to keep them out for the remaining time before the games started. Or even better a dog in a red circle with a line crossed through it for the ones that can't read.

Or do it again just before the games started.
edit on k085302bamWed, 05 Feb 2014 08:53:09 -0600 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
On the positiv side, they will leave the Rat's alone.

As other has said there is no better alternativ, stray dogs are not to kid with.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I have often thought about this. We butcher and eat cattle while others consider them sacred. To those people... we are disgusting. Lots of other folks eat dogs, cats, etc. and we are appalled because we have domesticated them, brought them into our homes and loved them as members of our own family. We were raised with them as companion animals, not as food or wild animals. If we were not raised to think that way, our view of such things would be drastically different IMO. We tend to forget that many other countries do not think like we do.

While I have my own dog and find this really, terribly sad... it should not come as a surprise to so many. I am sad for the animals and wish they could find a better way to deal with this situation, but if they see nothing wrong with it that wish is wasted.

To OP - This is nothing new in Sochi. It's an ongoing thing and has been for a while from what I can gather. As said above.... I hate that they are doing this at all, but apparently it is just accepted by those who live there.

www.foxnews.com...

"We should understand that it is done not only before the Olympics but constantly," she told the AP in an interview in downtown Sochi, where she was trying to find homes for seven puppies she recently rescued near the Olympic Park. "Two killers from that company work for the city to kill 300 dogs a month."

Sorokin's company operates in the Krasnodar region, which includes Sochi and the neighboring area. He refused to say how many dogs they kill a year, calling it a "commercial secret."

"Commercial Secret"?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Just saw this on tv. If I had even the remotest interest in the olympics, this news now kills it. Almost hoping for terrorism on those folks now.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
So Russia is a horrible country for getting rid of a load of diseased dogs what are renowned for attacking humans?...I would be more worried about the looming terrorist threat from the Dagestan and chechen rebels. You know those terrorists what kill innocent people

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Really? As opposed to the millions of cats and dogs euthanized each year in the US? Or the millions that are now wandering the streets, starving?

Clean your own house first.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

TheDoctor46
So Russia is a horrible country for getting rid of a load of diseased dogs what are renowned for attacking humans?...I would be more worried about the looming terrorist threat from the Dagestan and chechen rebels. You know those terrorists what kill innocent people

I think folks are thinking about Sochi's stray dogs like America's stray dogs. I don't think they are thinking diseased, feral, vicious, dogs that travel in packs. I could be wrong, but I am assuming that is one of the main reasons why there is such a reaction to it.
edit on 2/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
DP
edit on 2/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The ones they're putting down are not pets, most where never pets to anyone. For a U.S. equivlent it'd be like shooting coyotes.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Wow. After reading about his place, Russia is ghetto as hell! They dont have door nobs at the hotels where they are staying in there? No show curtains, but no worries, you cant shower there because the water is yellow and dangerous.

Yah cancel that s#it. If I were forced to stay there, I would leave and forfit.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Russia and some other countries in the eastern Europe have a serious problem with stray dogs. See videos below

There are to many videos like that. So my take is that their action is to provide a safe and secure environment and not animal cruelty. Russian government wants to make sure that all the tourists and visitors during the Olympics are safe. And believe me, stray dogs can be very dangerous. A real threat.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
So ridiculous!!!

Could these Olympics get any weirder?

I think the Olympic committee bears some responsibility...did they look into Sochi and it's realities prior to awarding these games?

As for Russia...the point is to showcase the best and most modern or relevant of your country as well as it's cultural uniqueness while hosting the games. Apparently they got confused - they just went with bizarre. LoL!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
A bit late, no? Most everyone competing has already arrived, and the opening ceremonies are tomorrow. I suspect Soschi is full of people at this point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join