Night vision

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I can't/ Won't post anything beyond these

400 meter closing starting from more then a mile and then in vicinity of 1 and 1/5th klik of tgts of interest from back in '05 the stuff today is even better.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Nooooo, absolutely not. that LRaz is a fine piece of equipment tho

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

This was the "paintbrush" (made famous in that clancy movie when they laser paint that building and blow up a jacked up ford in colombia) L-Raz FP made by FLIR integral mount rifle optic and HUD back then they were irratating because of the wire attachment to the optic and box, then again this is also at the time when HARRIS were becoming a new name in comm units. L-RAZ tech is still cutting edge because they are still developing some of the best optics on the planet.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Sorry just got in from work and put phone on charge. I see people have mentioned why I'd want extra kit for a trek. To be honest those who asked that are right. The only answer I can provide is .. And it sounds very sad .. I like a gadget
so sorry if I seem a little stupid lol

Thanks again for those who replied I'll go through the replies and links now

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Aliensun
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

If you are indeed on a "trek" and won't be walking at night, I can't imagine why you would want to burden yourself a piece of equipment that is not essential. A good head band LED outfit is perfect for trekking. --Not to mention the enormous cost you seem to ignore in your thinking about upgrading. Actually, most experienced trekkers would laugh at carrying even the device that you have.

Point taken alien .. Let them laugh. At the end of the day when I trek, I trek for myself I don't need people to tell me what I can and can't carry. If I'm happy to carry an extra weight just so I can have my enjoyment while playing in the dark then so be it

Sorry if this post seemed rude i never meant it to be like that

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

butcherguy
I found some material relating to the red lenses from the American Optometric Association.

For maximum utilization of scotopic vision, 20 to 30 minutes in total darkness are required to attain satisfactory retinal dark adaptation. An alternative is to have the aircrew member wear red goggles for 20 to 30 minutes before flying. When worn in normal illumination, red goggles will not interfere significantly with the ability to read most maps, charts, manuals, etc., as long as the printing is not in red ink. Red goggles block all light except red, which enhances rod dark adaptation because red light does not stimulate the scotopic system. There are some drawbacks to wearing red goggles or using red cockpit lighting. When reading maps, markings in red on a white background may be invisible. Red light also creates or worsens near-point blur in older far-sighted, presbyopic (decreased near focusing ability due to age), and pre-presbyopic aircrew. Under red light or using red goggles in normal light, red light is focused behind the retina due to the optics of the eye and more "near focusing" than average must be used to provide a clear image when reading at near.

American Optometric Association

Short n sweet .. Thanks I'll be reading this later once I've had a good old fashioned cup of tea

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

200Plus
There are optics out there for every person and every way to pass time.

In the military I went from the PVS-7 to the PVS-8 and the jumped to the 14's. Just a world of difference in quality and comfort between to monocular night vision and the old "Cyclops" and binocular systems.

As a civilian (as in you will not be running and gunning) dropping massive amounts of money on optics to play with is insane. I carry a Night Owl X-Gen 3X Monocular when I am trekking, camping, and kayaking. I carried similar models when I was deployed in Iraq during several deployments. They are lightweight, cheap(ish), and fairly ruggedized.

I would definitely suggest you look into them if you haven't already.

I wouldn't say I have massive amounts of money to mess around with. But agree with you I'm not going to go crazy buying some decent NV. And to be fair I only made this thread so I can get people's opinions. Thanks for your reply

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Snarl

LINK
Pricey ... but you won't ever buy another. I prefer the monocular as it allows me something akin to normal vision and I don't become disoriented walking about. The head-strap this comes with is all you need and the device works well mounted on my AR.

This was the last piece of gear I bought, but considering what I bought it for, it should have been the second or third, in hindsight.

I bought the same item from the same distributor. You can get a mount for this helmet and the hole is already pre-drilled in just the right spot. But be sure to specify the ACH mount.

And then add one of these to the equation and you will be at a distinct unfair advantage.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

These guys know more about what to tell you is good or to buy or whatever, but I have some info for you on a personal level concerning NV. I am one of those folks who NV messes with, and want to express my concern if you use anything else but a mono on a "trek". You dont know how you react to the goggle type unless you use them.. and Id HATE for you to get disoriented, injured, etc in unfamiliar territory. I can use a mono or a scope okay, but with those darned goggles.. they act like drunk goggles with me and Im stumbling around and etc.
With my weirdness with them, like if we are goofing off in the woods or shooting, my husband has the NV and gives me coordinates or direction.

edit on 5-2-2014 by Advantage because: I left out a K in know... somehow!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I have used night vision equipment for security work.

The first i ever used was the am-pvs 2 and the latest was a monocular head band type.

I have also used night vision cameras and rifle scopes.

You would not believe how many people believe that they are hidden in the dark.

one fun case i worked was at a privately owned hot springs.

They had people coming in a night and skinny dipping and trashing the place.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

ThePeaceMaker
Good afternoon Ats hope all is well. Sorry to create such a small thread, no conspiracies here or anything

Later this year me and a few friends are doing a 5 day trek through the cairngorm mountain range in Scotland. I have most equipment and I'd say I'm a pretty good amateur when it comes to trekking and what not. I currently own a hand held night vision monocular it does the job for spotting wild life and also on a trip to wales was able to help me and a friend tell whether some lights we saw at night was an army land rover or walkers.

Anyway I get the point. I'm looking at upgrading my night vision equipment. Several questions if like to share before purchasing a new toy

1. My monocular is ok .. However id like something with a bit more power. Is it worth getting head mounted goggles or go with a nice decent pair of night vision binoculars

2. If I were to buy head mounted goggles I've seen different types. I've seen one with just one eye piece, a night vision sight that sits over one eye while the other eye is free of any device and can see normally. The second is where you have an eye piece for both eyes. Which would be best ?

3. If anyone can advise me or can share their experience with night vision as to what to go for best of happily listen to people's suggestions.

Am willing to buy products from around the world so if anyone has any websites that arnt in the UK is still be happy to look. Any questions are welcome if it helps narrow down what I need

Thanks again ats users

The Russian Gen 2 is almost as good as ATN Gen 3 and a hell of lot cheaper too.
If you buy the 1x you may drive or walk in the dark, but if you buy the 5x NVS for your rifle you’ll be able to see very far and play a better game of tag, your it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by waltwillis

if your batteries don't die of course, catch me if you can!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Brotherman
reply to post by waltwillis

if your batteries don't die of course, catch me if you can!

I shot two baggers last year with the scope and keep 10 year batteries in large supply.
Also have a spare scope too!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Just an observation I thought would be worth posting here.

I've used NV and thermal for many years and I basically never pull the NV out anymore unless I'm showing somebody what it is like. The Thermal is just way more versatile and gives way better situational awareness. This is mainly because it is so much easier for people and animals to blend in with NV whereas thermal highlights anything living (warm blooded).

NV is also practically useless in most situations in urban environments. Expensive NV is needed for use in rural environments, especially in canopy or on cloudy nights.

NV is also useless in smoke and fog where thermal can cut right through smoke like it isn't there and fog also to a lesser degree.

Thermal can tell you where weak spots are on ice, help you to seek warmth, tell you where heat is escaping from your clothes or shelter, tell you if a vehicle has moved recently, or even if a vehicle was parked there. It can even be used to asses your own thermal camouflage (since this is in the survival forum) and avoid people with fevers. In the spring I spot birds incubating eggs in tree cavities all the time with my thermal imager, and in a survival situation I think I would be weighing my hunger over the ethics of hunting that way.

Disadvantages of thermal is that batteries don't last as long, identification of some objects can be difficult, and it is expensive. Units afforded by most consumers may suffer from range limits where high quality, passive NV can see much further in similar conditions.

Also, it surprises me that no one here has mentioned another benefit of monocular over binocular. A monocular will only deplete the night vision of one of your eyes, so that when you stop looking through it you can still see out of one eye.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join