It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Johnston Atoll: The Forbidden "UFOs/Alien" Island in the middle of Pacific Ocean? Three disks!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

This is very good additional Info,

Domo!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

charlyv
This atoll was once a living hell. Here is an account of one of the many disasters and mishaps that occurred here:

Failed nuclear test:

"Project Bluegill Prime," the second attempt to launch the payload which failed last time was scheduled for 23:15 (local) on July 25, 1962. It too was a genuine disaster and caused the most serious Plutonium contamination on the island. The Thor missile was carrying one pod, two re-entry vehicles and the W50 nuclear warhead. The missile engine malfunctioned immediately after ignition, and the range safety officer fired the destruct system while the missile was still on the launch pad. The Johnston Island launch complex was demolished in the subsequent explosions and fire which burned through the night. The launch emplacement and portions of the island were contaminated with highly radioactive plutonium spread by the explosion, fire and wind-blown smoke.

Source: Johnston Atoll

Today, most of that contamination was buried on the tip of the island and encapsulated with a coral containment dome.
It is unbelievable how much disrespect we had for the environment in those years.

No wonder the place is off limits!
edit on 5-2-2014 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

To me it appear fully operative, right in these days...
www.navycthistory.com...

For what I know, The Off Limits is only for civilians and militaries not authorized.
Neither a military vessel can approach to the Island without security cleareance and days of ask the permission.
A very very restricted area.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
More resent photos.
weburbanist.com...
towleroad.typepad.com...

the government tried to sell the island but no one wanted it.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Knowing the past history of the place, I think visiting it would be taking your life in your own hands. There is no way that they could clean up that mess good enough for me. If it was closer to a major land mass, I think it would be much more of a concern for everyone.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

For once I can't reply to one of your threads with "It's a rock..."!

Neat find. Can't really cast an opinion as to what the circular objects are. The one object definitely does seem to be casting a shadow on the water beneath it. Probably a logical explanation to be had somewhere, but S&F none the less.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

For once I can't reply to one of your threads with "It's a rock..."!

You are wrong even this time....
This time is A REAL ROCK in the middle of the Ocean!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This thread got me reading about other atrocities we pulled on this planet. I looked up the Bikini Island nuclear test..... wow what a read, and I urge everyone to google that stuff up.

Basically it goes like this.
American officials go to Bikini Island Atoll complex, gather most of the people together and tell them. "Thanks for your hospitality. By the way, we are going to blow this whole place up, and you have 6 months to leave. Don't worry, we will supply adequate housing for you on the mainland (NOT) and you will be able to come back soon, and we will rebuild your villages. (NOT). Thanks and have a nice day."

What happens after that just has to be read online, I could not do it any better justice.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Cool.

Fish farms.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   
those are camera platforms.
a reply to: Arken

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Russell01
those are camera platforms.
a reply to: Arken

Have you seen other submerged camera platforms like these? Are there pictures of them I can view?

I have no clue what they are, just trying to learn and figure it out like everyone else.

BTW - Welcome Russell. I see that was your first post. Hope to see more in the future.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I landed on Johnston once in the early 90's on good old Air Marshall Islands. Security guys with 50 cals pointed at the aircraft the entire time we were on the tarmac. The fact that one of the discs casts a shadow doesn't mean it is suspended over the water. The water is so clear that sunlight can penetrate 40 or 50 feet, so a shadow can be cast on the lagoon floor by an object on the surface. I'm going with approach light mounts for the runway. The idea of an underwater habitat is just ludicrous.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join