It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare will push 2 million workers out of labor market: CBO

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Oh yes because our failure of a healthcare system was doing such a great job in the first place wasn't it?

A failing healthcare system ?

Surely not after after ALL that regulation!

How the hell did the healthcare system 'fail' ?

The US government was on the job!

We pay more than any other system in the world and get crap for return.

So what ?

Sorry I don't think healthcare should be free. Or have the same pricing as a local Wal Mart.

People like you cry about how bad the government is when in fact it is the insurance companies that jack the rates up but doesn't give anything in return.

How bad the government is ?

That is a GD fact.

And it is also a GD fact that the US government has made those cost increase to the healthcare system because of their asinine regulation.

I do so love how government never does anything wrong, But GD we are suppose to let them run our healthcare.

That is insanity.

And Medicaid and Medicare works rather well and would have been better if it wasn't for people like Bush that created programs but didn't fund them

No they aren't. The simple fact that people on both programs WERE TOLD to supplement their 'existing coverage' with PRIVATE HEALTHCARE.

Too bad the second bill of rights didn't get passed then the ACA wouldn't even be needed.

Corporate products (healthcare) are not GD human rights. NO MATTER how much some people want them to be.

Fascists think they should be.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

ausername
I think the estimate is too conservative. ... It is going to be a disaster by design.

A lot of people in the middle class are going to find themselves unable to afford coverage under the ACA mandate when fully implemented and enforced.... There are millions being cancelled from existing plans, and many more when the employer mandates are fully implemented and enforced.

From what I recall, the primary reason for the PPACA was that "30 million Americans do not have health care coverage."

The CBO report reveals:
"About 31 million nonelderly residents of the United States are likely to be without health insurance in 2024, roughly one out of every nine such residents.”

Thus, the main goal and justification for the costs, disruption and degradation of care quality will NOT be achieved!
The law is a complete failure.

Deny ignorance.
jw

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

xuenchen
reply to post by thekaliyuga
(partial quote)

The companies are reducing hours down to part time to bypass giving their employees healthcare, I doubt the prezi is sitting around plotting our individual demise by reduction in our work hours... so if you work at McDonalds just wait,

once legislation is passed it will be illegal to reduce work force hours to essentially break the law of the land.

Interesting.

Is that in the PPACA, or is it a regulation by one of the Cabinet agencies?

Or is it an Executive Order?

It's in the deluded imaginations of Obama acolytes.
It does not exist in the real world.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Oh yes because our failure of a healthcare system was doing such a great job in the first place wasn't it?

Our Healthcare System wasn't Intentional Creating A Whole Population of Peoples that found it more affordable to be less productive than more productive because they are being giving Subsidizes, this time in Healthcare.
This is not creating a Healthy middle class or giving some one the incentive to Strive to do better for themselves and their families.

Testifying before the House Budget Committee yesterday, Congressional Budget Office director Douglas Elmendorf said of Obamacare, “[T]he act creates a disincentive for people to work.” He declared, “[B]y providing heavily subsidized health insurance to people with very low income and then withdrawing those subsidies as income rises, the act creates a disincentive for people to work—relative to what would have been the case in the absence of that act.”

Elmendorf, a Democrat, tried to claim that these people who would “have less of an incentive to work” would be “better off,” but Budget Committee chairman Paul Ryan was having none of it.

Ryan replied, “I guess I understand the ‘better off’ in the context of health care. But better off in inducing the person not to work who’s on the low-income scale, not to get on the ladder of life, to begin working, getting the dignity of work, getting more opportunities, [raising] their income, joining the middle class, this means fewer people will do that. That’s why I am troubled by this.”

link

Excuss Me!! People Like WHO?

People like you cry about how bad the government is when in fact it is the insurance companies that jack the rates up but doesn't give anything in return.

The CEO of AOL, Tim Armstrong, said on CNBC this morning that "Obamacare is an additional $7.1 million expense for us as a company."

"We have to look at our benefits programs very seriously," said Armstrong. "In the CEO chair, let me give you an example of the decisions we have to make as a company: Obamacare is an additional $7.1 million expense for us as a company. So we have to decide whether or not to pass that expense to employees or whether to cut other benefits."

Linky

edit on 6-2-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by thekaliyuga

I find it endlessly hilarious that despite cold hard facts in front of your nose, people would rather believe a lie than read between the lines. Have you really bought into the fear mongering so much that you believe the dribble of Fox news? Funny that FOX NEWS AND IT SUBSIDIARIES ARE THE ONLY NEWS STATIONS REPORTING THIS TRASH.

Will this isn't FOXNEWS, is it.

On Tuesday, the Congressional Budget Office released a new study finding that the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, will cause "a decline in the number of full-time-equivalent workers of about 2.0 million in 2017, rising to about 2.5 million in 2024."

Here's how it will work (or rather, discourage work): Obamacare offers Medicaid to people earning up to 138 percent of the federal poverty line in states that opted into the program, and it provides subsidies to people earning above that amount, up to 400 percent of the federal poverty line. As your income increases, the subsidy decreases.

CBO explains that "the phaseout effectively raises people’s marginal tax rates (the tax rates applying to their last dollar of income), thus discouraging work."

For some people, CBO notes, the incentive to reduce their hours or quit their jobs will be especially strong: "People whose income exceeds 400 percent of the FPL are ineligible for premium subsidies, and for some people those subsidies will drop abruptly to zero when income crosses that threshold."

The Obamacare subsidy cliff is so steep that if you earn just $1 above the threshold, you could end up paying anywhere from a few thousand dollars to $20,000 more for insurance, depending on your age.

Watch Out for Obamacare
edit on 6-2-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I can say that the AHCA, or whatever the heck one wants to call it... is borked.
Part of me would like to blame that legislation, and another part - directed to the companies themselves.
Just today our store manager was complaining that his higher ups were talking about turnover rate.

70% Turnover rate, in 2013.
Yep - that looks pretty bad, given the statistics.
Fortunately, most of our part-timers are retired military -
so they already have some form of health care.
That is the only upside here.

On a whim, I looked up what it would cost for myself and one dependent (if I chose to add her) and was shocked...
it's like $300 a month, based on our wages.

For two people woking for around $11 an hour each, it's ridiculous.
Even more so when one works full-time, and the other is job-based or seasonal work.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The leftist progressive commenters are doing their very best to spin harsh reality, bad news and failure into imaginary success stories out of their devotion to a failed president and failed ideology.

USN&WR is now floating the proposition that a stalled economy may be a good thing:

What the truth might be, and what few politicians would dare say, is there might simply be some value in lower economic growth.
Danielle Kurtzleben, associate editor, U.S. News & World Report.

www.usnews.com...

If anyone needed proof of the blind idolatry of the left to Obama and his failed PPACA, then this statement, alone, should be sufficient:
" ... there might simply be some value in lower economic growth."
What is "progressive" in policy that admittedly and determinedly stifles progress?

deny ignorance
jw

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
how is this possibly a "job killer"?....if a 65 year old worker can now retire and get affordable healthcare, that job they left, still has to be done by somebody, the work that needs to be done is still there, and still needs someone to do it. companies hire people to do jobs, so that company can stay in business, they don't hire people just so the worker has healthcare....geez...talk about denying ignorance

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
"Think of an economy where people could be an artist or a photographer or a writer without worrying about keeping their day job in order to have health insurance." --Nancy Pelosi

They also like to believe that unemployment actually creates jobs, and that welfare actually stimulates the economy.

Maybe we should all just quit working, and let the government take care of us and pay for everything, I am sure that is going to make this once great country the greatest country and economy in the world again?

Save America, sign up for a free ride today!!

edit on 8-2-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
HOW TO CREATE A SOCIAL STATE
by Saul Alinsky

There are 8 levels of control that must be obtained before you are able to create a social state. The first is the most important.

1) Healthcare – Control healthcare and you control the people.

2) Poverty – Increase the poverty level as high as possible, poor people are easier to control and will not fight back if you are providing everything for them to live.

3) Debt – Increase the debt to an unsustainable level. That way you are able to increase taxes, and this will produce more poverty.

4) Gun Control – Remove the ability to defend themselves from the government. That way you are able to create a police state.

5) Welfare – Take control of every aspect of their lives (food, housing, and income).

6) Education – Take control of what people read and listen to – take control of what children learn in school.

7) Religion – Remove the belief in God from the government and schools) Class Warfare – Divide the people into the wealthy and the poor. This will cause more discontent and it will be easier to take from (Tax) the wealthy with the support of the poor.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

That's the bait and switch of Obamacare. The insurance companies will be blame for the high costs that Obamacare creates. Then people will beg for a single payers. It's the Hegelian Dialect - problem, reaction, solution. Cause the problem then pose as the saviors.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

jimmyx
how is this possibly a "job killer"?....if a 65 year old worker can now retire and get affordable healthcare, that job they left, still has to be done by somebody, the work that needs to be done is still there, and still needs someone to do it. companies hire people to do jobs, so that company can stay in business, they don't hire people just so the worker has healthcare....geez...talk about denying ignorance

Because if all you're doing is replacing labor, then you aren't creating any new jobs. The economy is stagnating, not explanding.

How do you feel as an unemployed person knowing that all you have to do is wait for someone to darn good and ready to retire before you can even have a sniff of a chance at a job ... especially when we all know that the real retirement rate is closer to 20% than it is to 6%?

Not only that, but how would feel being stuck in a job that you know you are ready to be promoted out of and knowing that you have no chance of moving up and improving your life until someone at the top gets darn good and ready to retire?

I can tell you. I've been stuck at the bottom for five years, and I just finally for my shot to move up. FIVE years.

Do you know what effect that has? It slows everything down. It slows down the rate at which you get hired out of school, the rate at which you can save for you retirement and pay off your school debt, it slows down the rate at which you think you can start a family.

How many kids are close to 30 and still living with their parents because of this? A lot.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Studies have been done and the most jobs lost at the maximum is 300,000 and those are minimum wage, menial jobs.

OK, let's see your Studies, Please, and until then I'll attach this article for your reading enjoyment.

America now has a government that views work as a trap and celebrates those who escape it.
That is the upshot of last week’s remarkable exchange over ObamaCare. It began when the head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reported that the interplay of taxes and subsidies in the law “creates a disincentive for people to work.” The report predicted the mix would lead to fewer hours worked, costing the equivalent of nearly 2.5 million jobs.
In response, President Obama’s spokesman pleaded guilty — with pride and pleasure.

“Opportunity created by affordable, quality health insurance allows families in America to make a decision about how they will work, or if they will work,” Jay Carney said. Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi applauded the law for freeing people from “job-lock.”
They never mentioned the implications of this distinctly Obama-ish New Deal. The subsidies that enable some Americans to decide “if they will work” mean higher taxes from those who must or want to work.

linky
edit on 9-2-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I have to ask, you the supporters of obamacare, are you going to work better hours and have better jobs and be able to work the days you want and retire early now that obamacare has been enacted and you're so much better off, you're making enough money that you can come home a cook a meal and eat as a family at your dinner table.

Your hours and days are cut, do you have a home, food or a dinner table? Maybe you should let obama know, so he can fix that problem!

The discussion began when round-table host Jonathan Karl asked Congressman Tom Cole (R-Okla.) about a CBO report showing "the equivalent of two million-plus workers coming out of the economy" due to Obamacare.
Cole said, "Obamacare has been an issue from day one that's hurt Democrats and helped Republicans." And he said it's "not going to go away" as an issue "because it's fundamentally a flawed, bad policy."
Ellison countered that the CBO report on the reduction of hours worked means, "We are going to have parents being able to come home, working reasonable hours. People are going to be able to retire. People might actually be able to cook dinner rather than have to order out and get some takeout."
He added: "If you look at international comparisons country by country, Americans work way more that the average of industrialized countries around the world."
He said the report showing fewer work hours gives us the chance "to look at our work/life balance," which he described as "a great opportunity."

link
What a Total Obama Lab Dog!
YEAH! You have more time to watch Honey Bo Bo and Gator Boys, or maybe cut your neighbors lawn for gas money or money for diapers. ( Unless your neighbor is also in the same boat as you )
Your hours are cut, you're making less money, but you're going to set at home and think just how Great Every Thing Is, Because,,,, Obamas going to pay for your car and rent or mortgage and your utilities. You don't need to worry, the Government will take Real Good Care Of You!

edit on 10-2-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join