Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Is it possible for a militaristic extraterrestrial civilization to exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Last time I asked if it's possible for a theocratic alien civilization to exist on this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now this time I'm asking is if it's possible for a Highly Militaristic Alien Civilization to exist? If such civilization exist how does it affect other alien species? Would the civilization be located in a few solar system or would it be a galaxy wide civilization? Would they be a big threat to the universe?

Also what kind of technology and weapons would they use? What is scientific advancement like in a militaristic alien society?

Unlike a Theocratic Society, a Militaristic Society can encourage scientific growth in order to fuel their war machine. In fact many of Earth's technological advances comes from the military.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Anything is possible..... Just read ATS

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Now this time I'm asking is if it's possible for a Highly Militaristic Alien Civilization to exist?
If such civilization exist how does it affect other alien species?
Would the civilization be located in a few solar system or would it be a galaxy wide civilization?
Would they be a big threat to the universe?

1. Yes most likely.
2. Probably just like here with warfare, bloodshed and innocents caught in the middle.
3. Unknown insufficient data. Depends on their technology level.
4. No. The universe is a really big place. Conquering a 100 galaxies would be a drop in the bucket.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Anything is possible however the question I would ask would be why ? A true space fairing race (think Star Trek or Star Wars) would be like living in the garden of Eden. If you need resources pick an asteroid to mine, you need water pick a comet, what would be the purpose of fighting and conquering when everything is free for the taking ? Slaves to much trouble.... food source not much meat on these bones and I have been told we would taste like pork.. I would be willing to bet there are plenty of planets without sentient life to get in the way of some master race's plans of world domination.... There are always problems in any group but if I had to guess any race of space fairing beings has probably grounded all the trouble makers and has some stern rules against going against the flow or imperial directive...

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Since we have no clue whatsoever as to where we really are in the span of time of linear nature...yes, advanced ET would have to be defensive in nature and science of second. In an unknown enviornment you must protect yourself first, and explore second, or you will be phazer fodder in due time. Somewhere in this or the countless other universes and beyond, some race is cruzing around checking out their unknown, and if they feel threatened will cover their tails. If there is an aggressive type race looking to take and bake, somewhere down the stream they will meet a worthy adversary.....my answer is.....yep.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
S+F for a thought provoking scenario

I think this could be possible, seeing as how our own civilization has developed, but it raises questions then with any other civilizations in the area and how they would/could interact.

A civilization dedicated to military efforts may look different than we might assume. Perhaps they would be focused on psychological warfare against lower civilizations that are easily manipulated, rather than the physical invasion/decimation tactic we have seen in movies? This could allow them to become engrained into systems across the galaxies with a much smaller force than a physical invasion would require. As such, their visible technology may appear similar in nature to an equally developed peaceful civilization while their morals and directives would have ulterior motives, displaying a difference in usage rather than a difference in development.

If the laws we observe are, indeed, universal, then one can easily assume that, given enough time for advancement, any civilization is capable of creating the same fundamental technologies to attain the same results; the difference would then be in how they are used, and not how they are made. This kind of behaviour is evident today and seen in the control and suppression of certain technologies.

I would surmise that most highly evolved civilizations would have denounced war and violence in an effort to sustain their kind equally and ensure the continued propagation of their species across the cosmos. This begs the question then, how do those levels of higher evolved beings interact? One would hope that the benevolent would outweigh the malevolent, (assuming that the physical-violent militaristic civ's would eventually destroy themselves and therefor be fewer in numbers) and as such would have devised ways to peacefully keep these negative beings at bay while not only still advancing their own kind, but also protecting those who can not yet defend themselves, or who may not even know they are in danger.

I think that any militaristic civilizations our there would likely be kept at bay by a council or union of peaceful systems/civilizations, with involvements limited to diplomatic relations, regulations and treaties.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I would say that it would only require one encounter with an aggressive alien intelligence for a civilisation to have progressed down that trak and as such they may have become conquerer's and destroyer's but What if instead as in the betty and barny hill account they were more like big alien corporations looking to expand into new market's and identify potential customers and assets to integrate into there multi species culture.

Yes it is possible and may have already happened many time's over possible to disastrous consequence for other species they encountered but it would require them to make the jump to stella travel before they destroyed themselves.

Look at our own history, the most innovative time's have been during or just after a war and I am including the like's of the cold war as arms race's puch technological boundaries, if a actual war is avoided it is possible that for techological innovation that the new cold war that is looming with china may be good for such but is it worth it.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Great question ( S/F ) !

Experience indicates that Jesus ( all due respect to Mormons ) didn't get around much, but - Cortes did. Maybe not Buddha ... but Genghis Khan did , and so on. Bad guys seem to travel more , that's all. Maybe the Cosmos isn't proportionally filled with 'bad guys '... but , what I'm sayin' is that ' bad guys ' are more likely to appear.

They will instantly realize that this is a Plant World , and won't bother much with us , I'm afraid.

They will negotiate in the Rose Garden with the Honchos... not the Oval Office with the parasites.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I would say it's not just possible but very likely.

Simply look at the human race...

If an outsider were to observe & categorize our civilization I'd venture to guess that they might just check the box next to "militaristic"

Persistent state of turmoil/warfare
Long history of bloodshed
Historic trend of increasingly deadly & efficient weaponry
Violent tendencies
Disproportionately high military budgets
Unstable & rouge nation states

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Bazart

Great question ( S/F ) !

Experience indicates that Jesus ( all due respect to Mormons ) didn't get around much, but - Cortes did. Maybe not Buddha ... but Genghis Khan did , and so on. Bad guys seem to travel more , that's all. Maybe the Cosmos isn't proportionally filled with 'bad guys '... but , what I'm sayin' is that ' bad guys ' are more likely to appear.

They will instantly realize that this is a Plant World , and won't bother much with us , I'm afraid.

They will negotiate in the Rose Garden with the Honchos... not the Oval Office with the parasites.

And what if the Australien soap Neighbours is actually offending them, at some time in the feint distant future when the radio signals finally reach there solar system sized radio antenna will our children be able to defend themselves when they come knocking, Ha made me laugh but so true but then religion has conquered more and with longer lasting stabillity than any of those conquerer's with the notable fact in cortes case he was using religion to justify his conquest and gain support.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Is it possible? Sure, I don't see why not. However, I believe it is highly improbable. In my opinion it would require a selfless civlization in order to be able to work together as one to achieve a goal. Take a look at our human civlization for example. We are going to destroy this planet far before we will achieve the ability to travel to the stars at this rate. If we are any indication of life on other planets, the probability is low.

That isn't to say that it could not be done, I just believe it to be difficult feat to achieve. If a Militaristic Society society such as humans were to travel the stars, I think it is safe to say the threat to the universe and its occupants would be great. They would spread and consume as much as possible, and for all we know, that could be exactly what happened and the reason we are here.
edit on 4-2-2014 by roncoallstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I've only seen the new movies, but in Star Trek isn't there a race called the 'cling-ons'. Same kind of concept right? S&F either way

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

A true space fairing race (think Star Trek or Star Wars)

Um,yeah there was wars in those. It didn't seem like they all got along and sang Kumbaya. Just saying.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

A good point, F&S.

Probability dictates that the more advanced technologically a culture becomes the more likely somebody soul-ugly is going to run it, or want to. That means conquest-- probably local at first. With the natural resources of your home world exhausted you look elsewhere for them. Question: is our basic life force itself of value to them?

In the statistical UNlikelihood of us being found by the Big Boys and our having anything useful to them, we're either being farmed as we speak or ignored. If the universe indeed abhors a vaccuum between a dictator's ears however, maybe Bigger Boys get together to police the upstarts.

I tend to reminisce on the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still" for possibility two.
Summary: highly unlikely for a simultaneous militaristic and noble society.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I think its possible. Just look at the militaristic characteristics found in nature here on earth. If the aliens are like ants they would have a hive structure. If they lived on a world that would allow them to grow large enough to develop big brains and have jaws that could cut someone in half they would be dangerous. The species would be driven by chemicals produced by the queen and do anything to get the resources she needs. If they had the intelligence to detect resources on other worlds and the technology to get off there planet the rest would be easy for them.
If they are like some insects they can freeze and survive. Long trips could be done in large massive armies. The best weapon they have is there large numbers.
The worlds they invade would have to create a defensive military to stop them. I think there weapon of choice would be chemical. Large cans of Raid.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Yeah, possibly. One very popular argument against this is that if aliens become advanced enough to travel the stars, they would have to stop being violent because otherwise they will have wiped themselves out.

But perhaps, they unified their civilization AGAINST all the other ones. Ronald Reagan (or as I like to call him, RAY-GUN!) once said that he thought the only way Earth would be united is if we went to war against an alien species. Perhaps somewhere out there, another civilization would have unified itself through a sort of extreme xenophobia. However, the notion of alien invasion for our resources is kinda ridiculous when you think about it. (The next part was copy/pasted from a previous post on another thread of a similar topic).

They would easily be able to get those resources in much higher concentrations and quantities in these super novas and element-rich gas giants/densely packed asteroids then they would ever find on Earth. And on said asteroids there wouldn't be any angry natives with nukes, so much easier.

Actually, invading the Earth for it's resources would be kinda like beating up a fat kid for his ice cream when your one block away from a 31 flavors.
You could have had a much easier time if you just payed for a scoop of ice cream. Not only that, but you wouldn't have to go through the inconvenient process of beating up a fat kid. And once you get the ice cream, it would be covered with his drool. (by this I mean that many of Earth's resources have already been used by us humans).

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
While it is possible, I'd suspect they would be rare for the reasons others have discussed in this and other threads.

If you can travel the stars there's little reason to be militaristic.

The prime reason militaries exist are to "protect" political borders which themselves enclose resources.

There's little reason for political borders in space as there are staggering numbers of resources out there that make invasion of another inhabited planet for them silly.

For every inhabited Earthlike planet there are likely to be anywhere from 1,000 to 1 million or more uninhabited ones, just in our galaxy alone.

Beyond this, I suspect a militaristic society wouldn't last long because as above, so below, there is always a bigger fish.

While that fish may not be militaristic it may choose to eradicate a militaristic society in self defense and perhaps as a service to other inhabited planets in the galaxy.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
aliens might have different motives for war. what if the first thing a new star power does when they develop warp drive is fry several planets with a blue shifted gamma ray burst when they pop out of warp drive and the accumulated extreme blue shifted photons in the warp bubble skin are freed? perhaps the aliens therefore find such civilizations so extraordinarily dangerous that they annihilate anyone when they first detect odd gamma bursts around planets where there shouldn't be any. the first thing these aliens do is send a fleet of massive relativistic impactors towards the offending planet. they might view other lifeforms as dangerous parasites. or bio-hazards due to pathogens carried by aliens. or maybe they need slave labor or resources and find destroying civilizations before they have technology that would allow them to resist to be the most efficient means to deal with upstarts like us. there is no guaranty that aliens are any more enlightened than us. have we really become any more civilized than our ancestors? we all cry peace peace but there is no peace. think of the advanced civilizations that have fallen in antiquity to present. having advanced tech does not equate to being peaceful. war generally drives technological innovation more than any other factor.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Primitive civilizations cannot evolve without conquering their enemies and environments.

When a species climbs higher up the food chain they can then defend their civilization with less energy. That surplus energy can then be used for technology advancement.

None of this is achievable without an organized military.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It’s not possible - it’s certain. Because they’re already here.

And their strategy: colonization of planets through infiltration.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join