It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suffering is one of the greatest gift of life

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Ok... but I like yours better!

edit on 2/5/2014 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

new_here
reply to post by Jarring

Ok... but I like yours better!

it does seem more "where the wind blows" ay

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Bone75
reply to post by new_here

Thank you, but on this part...

...pay attention to who's there to witness your suffering and the effect it has on them.

And if the ones witnessing are the ones throwing the salt on wounds they admittedly perpetrated. The 'salt' being blaming me as over-reacting to discomfort they predicted, followed by silent treatment.
("Your Mom's not gonna like this..." spoken in front of me to adult daughter)

Let me be clear that nothing physical happened to me here. The wound is to my spirit. The salt is words of condemnation, the belittling of my gut reaction.

Why am I embarrassed to tell what I've said? What the hell does THAT mean?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Hope that wasn't just more confusing...

No it was perfect. Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

new_here
reply to post by kalunom

Conscious suffering sounds like dwelling on it, which causes (for me) continued suffering for me and those around me. Please explain what you mean. I really want to understand.

Thank you all for answering this thread and sharing your experiences.

As for your question new_here, I'll do my best to explain what conscious suffering means in my head.

Have you ever realized most emotions comes from thoughts? For example, when you are angry about something you will have experienced a negative thought process at first. In fact, it's as simple as this:

Random event -> Thoughts -> Emotion
-> Repeatitive thoughts -> Emotion continuing and getting stronger
For example:
Someone drives dangerously in front of you -> 'What an idi...' -> Frustation
OR
'' '' -> 'Everyone makes mistake' -> Forgiveness

So in order to be conscious while suffering you have to understand this concept first. Thoughts create emotions.
By knowing this you permit yourself to be in understanding of what's really going on deep within you. That doesn't mean it's going to stop the pain but at least it will help increase your awareness. Now, the secret is to stop denying the suffering that's going on inside of you and instead accept it wholeheartedly. Using let go is the key here.

Normally, one woud try to put a distance between the pain and himself. However, consciously suffering imply that you stay aware of the process taking place inside, keeping in mind that thoughts create emotions while actively observing thoughts and emotions independently. By doing this you should feel releaved of the negative energy because you allow yourself to fully experience it therefore understanding it. When there is understanding there is also place for forgiveness.

I hope this makes sense for you.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

btw, i don't think i have the patience to write a book about it.

The title "the happenstance of power to see it out"

inside it reads the rest of the book "everything wrong with the world"

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I don't find suffering to be a gift.

Sometimes too much suffering leaves you numb and unable to feel anymore...

I had someone close to me years ago get me a book "When Bad Things Happen to Good People," and honestly I didn't read much of it just skimmed it. I was in a "dark" place you could say, too much suffering which I didn't to be any kind of gift. It was given to me because this person SAW my suffering and was trying to make me feel better. In a way it helped some but it didn't fix anything in my life at the time.

Sure suffering can make you stronger due to whatever circumstances caused the suffering but sometimes too much suffering can leave you cold and hardened inside.

edit on 2/5/2014 by mblahnikluver because: hit enter too fast

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

i agree
high five to the long endured ~.~;

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

mblahnikluver
I don't find suffering to be a gift.

Sometimes too much suffering leaves you numb and unable to feel anymore...

I had someone close to me years ago get me a book "When Bad Things Happen to Good People," and honestly I didn't read much of it just skimmed it. I was in a "dark" place you could say, too much suffering which I didn't to be any kind of gift. It was given to me because this person SAW my suffering and was trying to make me feel better. In a way it helped some but it didn't fix anything in my life at the time.

Sure suffering can make you stronger due to whatever circumstances caused the suffering but sometimes too much suffering can leave you cold and hardened inside.

edit on 2/5/2014 by mblahnikluver because: hit enter too fast

hmmm.. you might find yourself come to fruition later in life.. I've come to realizations much later in life that had me thinking my suffering from my deep past had prepared me for future endeavors.

i do agree that suffering is not always a gift, but you may still find in the future that you've grown from it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Suffering stop being a gift when its existence is based upon the reccurence of a distant and unresolved past.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

yeah, and it never was a gift to the innocent who still suffer from that same past.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

There is no such thing as innocent people.

We are always responsible of what happens to us.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

innocence is accredited wherein innocence is found, just as fault. you can't say that a random victim of power beyond their control is always their fault.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
don't get me wrong, i understand where you're coming from, and can relate to it with a personal sense of suffering.

but i've seen too much of it to completely believe it is all in just deserves.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Light is not noticeable without shadows.

A warm breeze is good when its cold.

Anything worth doing takes sacrifice.

The duality of life is so simple yet can give way to such great complexity. Thank God we are not living in a tripleality.

Your conquered sorrows shared gives strength to those who are living them.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

I believe in karma and the law of cause and effect.

My signature pretty much says it all.

We deserve every situations we are in.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

St0rD
That's the reason why it happened to me. So I could appreciate life for what it is and realize just how magnificent it is. A simple truth becomes obvious: When you lose everything you get to cherish everyhing.

Well ... I"m happy for you that you have come to that place in your understanding of life.
You are in a better place than I am.
I'm chronically ill. I do appreciate what I have ... but I'm pissed at what was taken.
I have to keep telling myself - 'others have it worse'.
But that usually makes me angry at God for making others suffer too.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yeah ... that.

Pollyannas will say - God doesn't give you more than you can handle. But that's dead wrong.
From what I've experienced, and what I've seen others experience, there is a lot of PTSD in this world.
And PTSD isn't a 'gift'.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

well, i'm done trying to explain my point, if you don't get it, you don't get it. as obvious as it is.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

St0rD
Have you ever realized most emotions comes from thoughts?

MD Junction - Where do our emotions come from

Some people are under the assumption that your emotions come from your thoughts. That would be wrong. It is a bit more involved than that. It's not just what we think about, or put our attention on that determines our emotions. Contrary to some current self-help philosophy, your emotions don't come just from your thoughts.

More at the site.

There is a whole lotta' chemistry behind emotions as well ...
Emotions information

n psychology and philosophy, emotion is a subjective, conscious experience characterized primarily by psychophysiological expressions, biological reactions, and mental states. Emotion is often associated and considered reciprocally influential with mood, temperament, personality, disposition, and motivation.[1] It also is influenced by hormones and neurotransmitters such as dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, oxytocin, cortisol and GABA. Emotion is often the driving force behind motivation, positive or negative.[2] An alternative definition of emotion is a "positive or negative experience that is associated with a particular pattern of physiological activity.

edit on 2/6/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join