It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Met Office: SIGNIFICANT WEATHER EVENT will hit UK in days as HUGE Atlantic storm ROARS in

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Check this out; Earth wind map

You can change parameters by clicking on the 'Earth' icon.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Sorry if its been posted before but try this site. It lists an shows data of all the wave buoys around the uk, the wave buoys also log wind speed .
magicseaweed.com...

We currently have SE F10 immenint for our area

Stay safe out there people

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Lighten up! This a storm that wil probably cause loss of life . Sooner see this thread standing out than something about non existent alien planet .

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

''Best to just report the absolute truth''.

I did exactly that.

I made a thread with a video from the met office about an impending storm.

Storms here are real and are affecting real people. In Cornwall this week 15,000 people were left without power due to storms, there are areas still flooded that further storms can affect.

The met has issued severe weather warnings for the area. Knowing about it could save lives. As the report indicates people in these areas should ''be aware'' and ''be prepared''. If you don't agree with their report I suggest you call them.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1391558400

edit on 5-2-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

da pickles
Sorry if its been posted before but try this site. It lists an shows data of all the wave buoys around the uk, the wave buoys also log wind speed .
magicseaweed.com...

Thanks for that link, interesting site, not sure how to read the data on it yet but a good indicator!

Good luck with the storm. I hope people start seeing sense about venturing out and being storm tourists, of all those that didn't survive the recent storms, most weren't behaving as they should in such weather, they should have been more cautious.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

saneguy
Check this out; Earth wind map

You can change parameters by clicking on the 'Earth' icon.

Thanks for the link.

That's a great site, modern tech on these things is awesome and the graphics are great.

Here's the current picture:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
More reports on the recent and impending storms and how real lives have been affected.

There was a government Cobra meeting about the floods last night.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Thousands of homes are without power after strong winds and heavy rain hit south-west England and Wales.

The Environment Agency has six severe flood warnings in place, meaning "danger to life", covering much of the south coast from Cornwall to Dorset.

Western Power Distribution said about 44,000 customers had been affected by power cuts since Tuesday afternoon and 5,000 homes remained without power.

Message from the government from the Cobra meeting.

'Listen and act'
The Cobra meeting was chaired by Environment Secretary Owen Paterson.

A spokesman for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said: "With heavy rain predicted this week, the environment secretary has chaired a further meeting of Cobra to ensure that everything that can be done is being done.

"All requests for assistance have been met and we will continue to work closely with local authorities. It is vital that people listen and act on any advice from the Environment Agency and the emergency services."

The Met Office has an amber severe weather warning - meaning "be prepared" - for wind for southern England between 08:00 and 15:00 GMT on Wednesday, as well as warnings for wind and rain for other parts of the UK.

The Environment Agency has six severe flood warnings in place covering South Cornwall, South Devon from Start Point to Dawlish Warren, South Devon from Exmouth to Lyme Regis, Lyme Regis harbour, West Bay in Dorset, and Weymouth seafront.

It also has about 70 flood warnings and more than 200 flood alerts in England and Wales.

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency has one flood warning for Kirkcaldy in Fife, and several flood alerts.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
There is another problem that is not being addressed. Through decades of more intensive farming, more land has been cleared and the rains have naturally washed a lot of soil into adjacent rivers, making them shallower and more prone to flooding in certain areas.
There has been much talk by the environment agency of building flood defences, but little, if any, on the matter or prevention in the first place. If they start a programme of dredging it would help a lot. Deepen the channels and use the dredged silt to bolster the banks, with planting of trees and shrubs to provide better binding and water channeling, rather than spending a lot more money on very expensive "defence" schemes that will just push the problem a little further downstream.

No doubt that the issue of flood defences is, as usual, being looked at from the angle of expensive contracts for favoured suppliers, rather than the more practical and simpler methods.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Truth be told i am getting a bit bored of all the Somerset Levels coverage. I feel truly sorry for those affected but the levels have always historically been marshland. It is only the efforts of man that have made this area more habitable in that respect and provided dry land for building - therefore we should not be surprised when it floods badly - it is the same reason parts of East Anglia flood badly.

Man may win the odd battle but nature always wins the war.......

And yes, upland woodland and dredging would help but possibly not that much in the Somerset Levels. I do think though sod the bird sanctuaries - people come first every time.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

OK, in all honesty this is weird. But it seems like everytime the UK is hit with a storm, here in Ohio, we get slapped down as well.

I blame the UK this year for the weather. Damn you limeys! *Shakes fist to the east* LOL

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

TDawgRex

OK, in all honesty this is weird. But it seems like everytime the UK is hit with a storm, here in Ohio, we get slapped down as well.

I blame the UK this year for the weather. Damn you limeys! *Shakes fist to the east* LOL

Funny that, i always blame the sneaky French.......

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

da pickles
magicseaweed.com...

Cardiff area (and by extension i presume the mouth of the Severn Estuary area) are forecast approaching 12 metre wave heights.

Not the best place for any "look how big the waves are" pictures....but i bet we see some tomorrow in the media.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Flavian

TDawgRex

Funny that, i always blame the sneaky French.......

You may be onto something there...

Excuse me, my freedom fries are done...LOL.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

If they planted more trees it would be more habitable.

All this is a reminder of just how precarious some of the UK's habitable land actually is. Whilst it may have been fine in an environmentally stable 'golden age', I think we now have to consider unpredictable and extreme weather events as a major factor in where we choose to live and how we manage the land.

The government should act now, prevention is better than cure. Firstly it should tackle the EU rules that pays farmers for getting rid of the trees on their land in order for receiving subsidies.

Perhaps environment farming can be a new thing, sustainable forestation of areas prone to flooding and ways of farming flood planes that aerates the soil and collects the water in managed way.

If Holland managed to make their land habitable then I am sure the UK can too, and now rather than letting it go to pot.

People need to campaign these things, we need some sort of 'sense' committee that questions policies and suggests solutions to things.

The tsars and think tanks are just hot air it seems.
edit on 5-2-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
ok....

I live in oregon...and 2 inches here is more like a light drizzle .. 4 -6 is rain...

2 inches is NO more than 1 human thumb in length from bottom knuckle to the top.. Hyping it out a little there MET office ?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Komodo
ok....

I live in oregon...and 2 inches here is more like a light drizzle .. 4 -6 is rain...

2 inches is NO more than 1 human thumb in length from bottom knuckle to the top.. Hyping it out a little there MET office ?

Kom

Do you ever have to go to the ATM cash dispenser in your Canoe very much..?

Latest storms over and heading to UK & Ireland.

PDUK

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

The rain hasn't stopped in NE Scotland (for a significant amount of time) in months. I've forgotten what the sky looks like! And I'm sick of nailing up my fence once a month. The wind is constant.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Here 2 inches of rain isn't that much either but when it happens daily for months in places already flooded and on ground saturated from last year it has an environmental impact that is affecting lives.

There have been a few storms here that have caused lot of damage to sea defenses, a lot of cliff erosion, railway lines as well as the usual trees.

The UK has a specific landscape and is densely populated, the ecosystem is rather fragile and interdependent so sometimes small amounts of rain or extreme weather affects the environment and a lot of people.

Oregon is about 98,466 square miles with a population estimated at nearly 3.8 million.

The United Kingdom is about about 93,278 square miles with a population of more than 61 million.

The met aren't really overreacting when there are villages flooded for weeks and people have died because they weren't being cautions enough, so they have to let people know, it's their duty.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by angryhulk

Same here, I felt like I was getting SAD. One day when the sun shone for a few hours it was like I felt more alive than I have felt in ages.

There's rarely been a day where the indoor lights haven't needed on during the day. Grey skies, non stop rain, ugh!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Recent update from the Environment Agency. Video on link. a Dawlish resident reckons it was like a hurricane as his house is about landing in the sea.

www.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join