It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Met Office: SIGNIFICANT WEATHER EVENT will hit UK in days as HUGE Atlantic storm ROARS in

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Aaw, Happy Birthday Woogle. Think you should treat yourself to a cake as well.

Weather still crap here. More wheely bins in the roads than cars.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

Cheers Miss Beck, aye same here, bin day this morning, wheelybins doing cartwheels down the road, seagulls dodging roof tiles, and my li'l Pom couldn't stand still whilst taking a pee.....

Actually, I think I heard a seagull swear.....trying to land on a roof, gliding in carefully, gust of wind threw it back up....so again it tried, got ever so close to the rooftop, then whoosh, off back up it was threw....I could have sworn it went "F*******" rather angrily

edit on 12/2/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Yeah, can't be fun, being a bird in high winds. More important though, did you get your birthday beer?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

Oh yes, mission success. 4 cans of Stella and 35cl Bells...happy days, now to sit down, drink and watch the new Thor film in 3D...

Hope your evening (what's left of it) will be as cheerful as mine

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by Korg Trinity

What you see outside your window could not be less relevant. This is a situation which has been in the making for two months, so it is the prevailing weather over that period which is important, not the colour of the sky in your area at any given moment.

You're panicking....

Yes we have floods.... will it bring down the ecconomy or kill thousands of people?

I think not....

We will survive and prosper... If changes need to be made then let the recent events be a wake up call for the authorities....

Other than that... it's just a wet weather spell.

In 6 months time most of Britain will be talking about football and east enders and not a single neuron will be spent thinking about the floods... other than the people it directly effected, which is a tiny small fraction of our total population....
Peace,

Korg.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

theabsolutetruth

It is being reported that some areas have experienced the highest rainfall for 250 years.

www.theguardian.com...

The deluge that has engulfed southern and central England in recent weeks is the worst winter downpour in almost 250 years, according to figures from the world's longest-running weather station.

The rainfall measured at the historic Radcliffe Meteorological Station at Oxford University in January was greater than for any winter month since daily recording began there in 1767, and three times the average amount.

Well that explains the miss quote.. thank you.

There you have it.... in one isolated area of England there was more rain over the winter period since 1767....

What about the rest of England?????

This kind of thinking is like saying the world ends when you die.... yes it does for the person dying but for the rest of us it's mojitos and suntan lotion.

Now if those stats had stated country wide.... then it would truly be the event the media have sensationalised.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   

The recent storms have affected a lot of people, brought record rainfall counts, major destruction, large scale flooding, coastal erosion, as well as many commercial implications that affects peoples lives and is a major wake up call that climate change is here and has to be addressed.

It isn't ''media hype'' it is all real whether your locality has suffered majorly or not.

The clearing and fixing from these storms costs billions and some places might be flooded for months, so many thousands of people affected.

Apart from a few 'nothing to see' detractors such as yourself, there isn't any 'end of' doom mongering on the thread, just rational concern and reporting of facts on events that are happening here, right now in the UK, affecting people now and in the future.

Maybe you want us all to ignore it and the media not to report it but the general population have a right to know, it's news and it's all over the news and media for the correct reasons.
edit on 13-2-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
A welcome lull today though another storm due on Friday.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Tens of thousands of homes are without power and commuters are facing renewed travel disruption after hurricane-force winds battered the UK on Wednesday.

Forecasters are predicting some respite on Thursday from stormy weather but the Met Office is warning of further heavy rain and strong winds on Friday.

Sixteen severe flood warnings remain for Berkshire, Surrey and Somerset - all already hit by severe flooding.

Train services in parts of the UK are cancelled and some roads are closed.

Environment Agency programme director Toby Willison said a number of rivers in south-east and south-west England, including parts of the Thames, were at their highest recorded levels.

"This is an exceptional event, it was the highest rainfall in January since 1776 and we think it is likely December, January and February will be the highest for 250 years," he added.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

But it is all over the damn country. Wales has been walloped, the West Country is underwater, the Thames is bursting its banks in the South East, the North saw gales and at the moment Scotland is extremely snowy and is still recovering from the New Year storms. The ground is saturated with water. More storms will mean more floods.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Korg Trinity

Now if those stats had stated country wide.... then it would truly be the event the media have sensationalised.

Peace,

Korg.

The rest of the country is suffering, I live as far away (in England) as you can get from the south floods/storms, and we have it bad.

I have never in my life seen the sea, not only come up over the harbour wall, but flood the Northside road as well.

The coastal road to Allonby/Silloth is submerged, there are road closures all over the place up here, if it isn't flooding and/or winds it's snow.

My dad who is 62 years of age has said HE has never known it to be this bad.

I also cannot recall a time when the jet stream went right over England.

To quote my Southern friends, mother nature is taking the Mickey Bliss.

EDIT:

Oh and another thing, the media generally avoids anything north of Birmingham when there is something to report "darn sarf"...there's dragons and hobbits up here you know, they tend to stay away.
edit on 13/2/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   

That is so true about the media and the north south difference in reporting.
My dear old Ma said "Good it's about time the southerners get worse weather than us"

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

No... With respect, I am not panicking at all. I have not run out to purchase a boat, and I am not busily filling bags with sand, digging a moat around my neighbourhood, or assembling a submersible escape vehicle.

All I am doing, is keeping appraised of the situation, as it develops, and passing on details to the membership here. I live in the Thames Estuary, so I personally have very little to worry about, as there is plenty of land between where I am, and the nearest serious flooding. My passing on details, as they come in on the news, and from the met office, does not constitute a panic sir, but it does mean that I am aware of the seriousness of the situation, and do not have my head firmly wedged inside the cleft of my buttocks, in a vain attempt to avoid reality.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

theabsolutetruth

The recent storms have affected a lot of people, brought record rainfall counts, major destruction, large scale flooding, coastal erosion, as well as many commercial implications that affects peoples lives and is a major wake up call that climate change is here and has to be addressed.

And I suppose by your reckoning all the other storms the UK has had to endure in the past brought none of the above??

If people are only now waking up to climate change then they must have been on mars for the last two decades....

Apart from a few 'nothing to see' detractors such as yourself, there isn't any 'end of' doom mongering on the thread, just rational concern and reporting of facts on events that are happening here, right now in the UK, affecting people now and in the future.

I didn't say there was nothing to see.... I simply state it is not as ground breaking as you and others are making the weather out to be.

You have played right into the hands of the tabloid papers that would love for everyone to believe this is some kind end of the UK senario.... If you hadn't noticed the press's headline have been getting ever so more extreme to try and compete with digital outlets.....

They have you hook line and sinker.... just where they want you.

Peace,

Korg.
edit on 13-2-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

AngryCymraeg

But it is all over the damn country. Wales has been walloped, the West Country is underwater, the Thames is bursting its banks in the South East, the North saw gales and at the moment Scotland is extremely snowy and is still recovering from the New Year storms. The ground is saturated with water. More storms will mean more floods.

BBC news this morning stated there was 14 sever flood warnings in place.... 12 of them along the Thames....

Korg.

edit on 13-2-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

You are arguing the media attention of the recent storms, floods etc in the UK.

It is clear to all that these events deserve attention and are 100% newsworthy.

Neither I nor anyone else on the thread are claiming some 'end of the UK' due to recent events.

Furthermore there doesn't appear to be any of that in the media either so stop making irrational presumptions about me, other posters and the media.

You need to stop derailing the thread and attacking people. The thread is about the storms etc so please keep it relevant.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
An article that the Doom Sayers here could do well to read...

Every time the weather does something, somewhere, we break out into the same argument, about what it means for the climate change debate. Cold weather in the US, hurricanes in the Philippines, droughts and heatwaves in Australia, and, of course, drenching storms in Britain: is it caused by (or does it disprove) anthropogenic climate change?

I want, therefore, to make the obvious point: the world is a big place and the climate is a complicated system. At any time, somewhere in the world, somewhere will be experiencing "the worst X in 100 years" or "the longest Y since records began" or "the wettest Z since the Second World War". That's always going to be the case, and the fact that we happen to be the place that is experiencing it at the moment does not mean that we can extrapolate globally, any more than if I won the lottery I could say that everyone in Britain has just become a millionaire.

It goes on to say... and quite rightly so...

What's interesting, then, is not whether any particular place is undergoing some spectacular climatic event, but whether those events are becoming more common in general, worldwide.

With hurricanes, and storms in general, that's very hard to tell – they're fairly rare events, so trends are hard to distinguish – but the answer is "very slowly if at all". Last month the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory released a review of the literature, which found a very slow trend towards more storms – about five extra storms per century in the Atlantic.

It concluded that "It is premature to conclude that human activities – and particularly greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming – have already had a detectable impact on Atlantic hurricane activity." Similarly a 2010 World Meteorological Organisation study found only a very slow increase over centuries, and was unable to “conclusively identify anthropogenic signals” (ie human causation). Whatever else we're doing to the climate, we can't reliably say we're making more storms.

Source: - The Telegraph....BLOG

So the severity of a storm is not a key indicator of global climate change... it is the frequency that we should all take notice of... increase in extremes is indeed a by product of climate change... and as I mentioned earlier if you were one that thought the climate was a static model then you need re-educating.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

This isn't a ''doom'' thread, there aren't any ''end of the UK'' comments, nor are any of the posters here ''doom sayers'' so stop attacking people posting on the thread.

If you don't agree to the media reporting the news then I suggest you write to them, maybe use their complaints procedure instead of griping about people that care about the news talking about it on this thread.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

theabsolutetruth

You are arguing the media attention of the recent storms, floods etc in the UK.

It is clear to all that these events deserve attention and are 100% newsworthy.

Neither I nor anyone else on the thread are claiming some 'end of the UK' due to recent events.

Furthermore there doesn't appear to be any of that in the media either so stop making irrational presumptions about me, other posters and the media.

You need to stop derailing the thread and attacking people. The thread is about the storms etc so please keep it relevant.

It's not pleasant is it when your point of view is opposed... but please re-read my posts.. I am on topic and have not attacked you personally so lay off the threats....

Are you really trying to say that the papers don't use their front pages to sensationalize subjects???

I am not denying the flooding or the bad weather.... just that it is exactly that... bad weather... it has happened in the past and it will happen again in the future.

As I have pointed out... a record will be broken all over the world tomorrow... and the day after that... and so on. This is the nature of a chaotic system... if we found that there was a threshold by which weather would not reach then we could either say that the laws of physics prevent such from happening or the system is closed and not truly chaotic...

The Weather is not a sandbox...

So expect extreme weather events.... they are natural.... Hence No Need to Panic.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

theabsolutetruth

This isn't a ''doom'' thread, there aren't any ''end of the UK'' comments, nor are any of the posters here ''doom sayers'' so stop attacking people posting on the thread.

If you don't agree to the media reporting the news then I suggest you write to them, maybe use their complaints procedure instead of griping about people that care about the news talking about it on this thread.

The way you and others on this thread are reacting to the storm is extreme...

With some stating the entire of the UK will be under water..... Complete Hog Wash!

And I repeat... I am not attacking you or anyone else directly... just making an obvious and objective observation.

Emotions run high when you are in the middle of a situation and it can often feel a lot worse than it really is... coupled with the re-enforcement of said severity by the marketing machine of the front page teams of the press and hey presto you have people taking to the internet to spread their fear.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
More reports of the flooding, state of the ground etc.

12:28: John Hammond BBC Weather says: " It looks like being the wettest winter on record and the ground water is just, it's got nowhere to go. The ground is like a sponge, the sponge is full to overflowing. What we don't need is more rain. What we're going to get is another storm."

12:26: John Hammond BBC Weather warns that the incoming storm from the Atlantic tomorrow will be "every bit as intense, if not more" than yesterday's.

Some 80,000 homes remain without power across England and Wales, where a clean-up operation is under way after 100mph winds.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join