It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Dept.: Not Building Keystone Pipeline Could Increase Greenhouse Gas Emissions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Interesting conclusions from the U.S. State Department say that *NOT* building the controversial Keystone XL pipeline would actually *increase* greenhouse gases by as much as 40% !!

It looks like they base this wisdom on the fact that building the pipeline or not building the pipeline won't significantly change the amounts of oil production in Canada or demand in the U.S.

double-talk video included.
State Dept.: Not Building Keystone Pipeline Could Increase Greenhouse Gas Emissions

Not building the 875-mile Keystone XL Pipeline could result in the release of up to 42 percent more greenhouse gases than would be released by building it, according to the State Department.

Not building the pipeline “is unlikely to significantly impact the rate of extraction in the [Canadian] oil sands or the continued demand for heavy crude oil at refineries in the United States,” the department noted in a long-awaited environmental report released January 31st.

But the “No Build” option is likely to result in an increased number of oil spills, six more deaths annually, and up to 42 percent higher greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, the State Department concluded.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

They will say anything to get that pipe line rammed down our throats.

Luckily us Canadians have been giving them plenty of trouble and I'm happy the State Dept is taking it's sweet damn time in doing anything with it as well.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

While it could be technacilly true it does not negate the objections to it.

Ill give you an example, Me buying a smart car would save me 40mpg over my truck, doesn't mean its a smart move.

I can pretty much come up with a positive for any scenario...

Releasing the plague would really cut down on all the free way traffic too, but you get my point.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
America imports it's oil requirements from other nations. One of loudest and most consistent cries heard during Gulf-War 2 was sending young Americans off to fight for oil was wrong. (Whether accurate or not, it described the tone of many Americans on the issue.)

It's been over 200 years since our last big disagreement, I am pretty sure we can trust the Canadians, I am betting there are not a lot of young US servicemen winning heart-and-minds in Fort Mac. So there is that.

American people need to understand something about the XL Pipeline. A pipeline that will connect the refineries of the Gulf directly to the resource.

It is an option.

There is also a planned pipeline connecting the same oil to a pipeline that terminates at the Pacific Ocean. The main customer for that same resource is China.

Both China and America want access to this oil. Canada's preference is the US. But if they dont get it together, China gets another strong foothold corporately on this dwindling resource.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It's not just greenhouse gases they are touting as reason for this pipeline.

Had a train carrying crude oil derail near me recently and explode... That article

Now, this article:

Feb 2 (Reuters) - Replacing the Keystone XL pipeline with oil-laden freight trains from Canada may result in an average of six additional rail-related deaths per year, according to a U.S. State Department report that is adding to pressure for President Barack Obama to approve the line.

Someone really wants that pipeline. Anyway, locally here, not so far from Canada and very close to the Bakken oil-boom region - it's in the news quite a lot.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I live in Calgary, Alberta. Right in the heart of the discussion about this pipeline.

Over the recent years the discussion has somewhat settled in two opposing camps, those for the pipeline and those completely opposed to any new development of any kind in the fossil fuel arena.

And Americans have to understand that the issue is not whether or not there is going to be a pipeline built out of the region, the issue is WHAT DIRECTION it will go.

South to the United States, or West to China. (Northern Gateway Pipeline)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
They have already started on the southern leg. It' going to be made either way.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Luckily us American's have also been given them trouble and will continue to give trouble. It is funny because I was at a vigil against the building for the pipeline.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Not paying State Department salaries would save a bundle of greenhouse gas emissions too.

As a matter of fact, eliminating the IRS, the NSA, Federal Reserve, the Department of Homeland Fondling, the FBI, Congress, pensions to retired military and political personnel and the entire Pentagon budget would go a ways, too.

Add in shutting down Wall Street due to its insatiable appetite for Ones and Zeros, Hookers and Blow and there's a bunch of savings there too.

Now once that's taken care of, plant a bunch of proven harmless plants that have thousands of productive uses and we'll be acting like a true civilization instead of an armed camp afraid of the enemies we've created on purpose and hellbent on burning up the planet as quickly as possible.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

strongfp
They have already started on the southern leg. It' going to be made either way.

Starting?
2nd.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Washington post

Boehner grew angry when a reporter suggested that Republicans might be pushing “for something as complex as the Keystone pipeline.”

“Complex? You think the Keystone pipeline is complex?” Boehner said as he raised his voice. “It’s been under study for five years. We build pipelines everywhere in America every day. Do you realize there are 200,000 miles of pipelines in the United States? And the only reason that the president’s involved in the Keystone pipeline decision is that it crosses an international boundary. Listen — there’s nothing complex about the Keystone pipeline. It’s time to build it.”

Good point.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

ausername
Washington post

Boehner grew angry when a reporter suggested that Republicans might be pushing “for something as complex as the Keystone pipeline.”

“Complex? You think the Keystone pipeline is complex?” Boehner said as he raised his voice. “It’s been under study for five years. We build pipelines everywhere in America every day. Do you realize there are 200,000 miles of pipelines in the United States? And the only reason that the president’s involved in the Keystone pipeline decision is that it crosses an international boundary. Listen — there’s nothing complex about the Keystone pipeline. It’s time to build it.”

Good point.

Yes, a very good point. The thing people need to understand, is the main force driving much of the disinfo on this pipeline, is money. Warren buffet owns the railroad currently hauling all that crude. The pipeline goes in, he loses. Warren doesnt like to loose.

top topics

join