It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duality and how to solve it

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
In the way I experience things, duality is simply a result, product, or characteristic of the fourth dimension (time-space).

What we are calling opposites are really the same thing, two sides of the same coin. Yet because we are conscious of that fourth dimension, we do not experience the entirety of anything at the same time, in the same place. It gets spread out and separated.

On other levels of consciousness, we experience wholeness. The closest I can get to describing it is- if you hold a coin in your hand, you can feel with your fingers, both sides of it, at the same time. But if you look at it, your eyes can only percieve one side, or the other, as you turn it over- not both at the same time.

So this is how I experience everyday life events. I am simultaneously "feeling" the entirety of things, while my eyes can only see one side of them in each moment.

I can speak with another person and say this is black, or this is white, but what we are talking about is the experience of it in it's fourth dimension (relative to it's point in space and time).

I am also intensely aware that if a thing starts out being experienced in one polarity, you will experience the other polarity of it eventually- all "good" events will have a "bad" side later on, and vice versa.

This, I believe, is the basis for Karma. Self and other being two sides of the same thing, yet fourth dimensional consciousness experiences them in different times and places.

"Do or do not do it - you will regret both.
- S. Kierkegaard
edit on 5-2-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

But is black better than white?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Manula

But is black better than white?

No.
The mind always thinks in terms of better and worse - this is the duality of mind, which is conflict.
If it is black then black it IS.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

But the aparent dilemma i exposed in the OP is if there is a conflit between black and white.
Is there place for both in our lifes? Are we to be ok with suffering and happiness? With pain and pleasure? With joy and sadness?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Manula

But the aparent dilemma i exposed in the OP is if there is a conflit between black and white.

If you are looking at black then where is the white? In mind. in thought.

Is there place for both in our lifes? Are we to be ok with suffering and happiness? With pain and pleasure? With joy and sadness?

What arises is what arises. But the mind speaks of other and then there seems to be something else - where is the something else?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I find your philosophy confusing.
You are and adept of the passive dogma.
You just observe, adapt and accept. No room for active transformation?
If you a see a boy about to be hit by a car, will you try to save him?
What i meant is, there are times to accept and adapt and times to be an active creator/transformer.
But you seem to forget the active/transformer/creator moments, like you just have to observe and accept.
Is this your way?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

So this is how I experience everyday life events. I am simultaneously "feeling" the entirety of things, while my eyes can only see one side of them in each moment.

I would wager that if we had three arms, three eyes, three nostrils, three ears and so forth, that we would see the world in a "trinitarian" sort of way.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Manula

Manula

You are and adept of the passive dogma.
You just observe, adapt and accept. No room for active transformation?

Did you read this that was written earlier in the thread?

If there is passivity then that is what is. If there is aggression then that is what is. It is not that one chooses passivity or aggression or assertiveness - what happens is what is.
'What is' IS - it can be anything and is everything. However, naming it can make for an opposite to appear in mind - passivity, aggression which ever - is neither right nor wrong, good or bad - it just is.
The wanting it to be the other than what is conflicts and stops peace. If wanting other than what is happens then that is also 'what is'.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

TerryMcGuire
reply to post by new_here

Pendulum Playground
Pendulum Playground
Pendulum Playground

Then shall it be so...

Pendulum Playground
(A poem for TerryMcGuire by new_here on the unity of duality)

For whom the bell tolls
To which the wind blows
Vibrational swirling harmonic tones
Blurring the blend of the two atoned
Whence entropy births the eternal one

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

The wanting it to be the other than what is conflicts and stops peace.

Isn't this "wanting" and "conflicts" a part of what is? Shouldn't we just allow this wanting and conflict to find peace?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Aphorism

The wanting it to be the other than what is conflicts and stops peace.

Isn't this "wanting" and "conflicts" a part of what is? Shouldn't we just allow this wanting and conflict to find peace?

If there is wanting other than what is happening then that is also 'what is'. If there is black and one wants white then one will not be fulfilled.
Worshipping 'other' than what is present is discontent.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

If wanting other than what is happening then that is also 'what is'. If there is black and one wants white then one will not be fulfilled.

So you want both war and peace?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Aphorism

If wanting other than what is happening then that is also 'what is'. If there is black and one wants white then one will not be fulfilled.

So you want both war and peace?

I don't want.
What arises arises as it does.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I don't want.

Wanting arises as well. To not want to want would seem to be a conflict.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

Manula
Black or white?

If what is seen is black where does white appear?
If it is black then that is what is. The mind has thoughts of other.

I would not have thought to say this, had I not read your post:

When we SEE black, it is because all colors of the visible spectrum (which = white) are absorbed. There is nothing left to reflect out to our eyes.
When we see yellow, all other colors except yellow are absorbed.

When light hits an object – say, a banana – the object absorbs some of the light and reflects the rest of it.
When you look at a banana, the wavelengths of reflected light determine what color you see.
Source

So what color IS the banana really? That which is absorbed to become 'part of' the banana, or that which is 'rejected' and reaches our eyes.
Anybody else see a kind of duality here?!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Aphorism

I don't want.

Wanting arises as well.
Yes, wanting (seeking) does arise. I believe this was already stated:

If there is wanting other than what is happening then that is also 'what is'.

To not want to want would seem to be a conflict.

I did not say I did not want to want.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

new_here
When we SEE black, it is because all colors of the visible spectrum (which = white) are absorbed. There is nothing left to reflect out to our eyes.
When we see yellow, all other colors except yellow are absorbed.

What are you actually seeing? Are you actually seeing black?
And then the mind takes it all apart and makes a story about where and how the colour got there.
When you see black - do you not see black?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

If you are in a room looking at a computer screen are you outside flying a kite?
If you are looking at a cat - is it a dog?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I think that the problem is not in the dualistic variables in conjunction with eachother, the problem lies in our view of duality

Duality in my opinion is not having two of the opposite

its having one of the two opposites

in other words its a spectrum that defines its own extremities as opposing features, but in reality they are part of the same

I think that alot of people make it out to be a choice, "Must choose one of the two and set my effort and energy to that!"

But that implies a reposition of momentum

for example, if you have a momentum (your own energy and effort for example) seeing duality unlike a spectrum will cause you to have to stop and restart your momentum everytime you make a decision regardless of whether you know that you will pick yes or no, the reason is that by expressing it to ourselves as separate parts in our minds it needs separate work/problem solving space

If you look at it as if it is a spectrum then you do two things to yourself

first you make yourself vulnerable to acting in ways that may seem inappropriate to others (because the real solutions to your problem may not be what is expected of your behaviour in society)
second you are able to maneuver between decisions without stopping momentum

Thus is where the phrase "in the zone" comes from, some people have never experienced it and some can call upon it at will for specific subjects or events (eg athletes for their sport, scientists for science, etc.)

I believe that a significant part of brilliance and genius is our ability to use spectrum thinking, the more and better you use it the more brilliant and genius you are

why would this work, well think about these two advantages

1. Not having to restart your momentum will allow you to compound your thinking and results to their optimum level faster and keep it there much longer (imagine a car race where one car drives as fast as it can and the other has to turn off and restart their car everytime they come to a turn, the first car is Einstein the second is your average american, the second car has no chance in hell)

2. The spectrum provides many more options than a classic duality

this is easily seen in this simple example:

[Classic Duality]

Spectrum Duality =

I also believe that it is this type of thinking that is what makes the "in the moment" feeling as well

Now I do not think that some people are born with this and others are not, I whole heartedly believe that we start out with a rough form of this in infancy and childhood but it is indoctrinated out of us by our social environment (parents, society, community, especially parents)

of course you cant blame your parents because its what happened to them as well and the process will continue with your children unless you or your offspring decide its time to break the cycle

This whole theory of mine is very raw and I have no articles or books to substantiate it since I just use my own mind as the basis of the theory, but maybe it is something that might be worth reflecting on

I also think that this may be just "a" factor, i am also working on other theories that address the same problems but looked at from other perspectives

So ya in closing I think that Duality is just spectrum (in its more practical form)

edit on 5-2-2014 by tankthinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Have you ever asked for something and not got it? Like a child in a supermarket saying to it's mother 'I want, I want, I want' and the mother turns around and says 'Now you know what it feels like to want'.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join