It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: AccessDenied
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE
1. If we believe that debt is inevitable, they have won and we have lost.
2. If we believe that what we wear, buy, drive, display and consume defines our identity and place in the world, they have won and we have lost.
3. If we believe that we express ourselves through what we buy, consume, display and own, then we have entered a state of permanent insecurity and adolescence; they have won and we have lost.
4. If we believe that without its Empire, America would perish, they have won and we have lost.
5. If the "news" leaves us fearful, anxious, frustrated and angry, they have won and we have lost.
6. If we believe that being connected to and consuming digital media during every waking hour is not just necessary but desirable as a display of coolness and status, they have won and we have lost.
7. If we believe fast food and packaged food is cheap, tasty and convenient, they have won and we have lost.
8. If we believe we would perish without a payment from the Central State, they have won and we have lost.
9. If we believe that measures such as the unemployment rate and gross domestic product (GDP) are meaningful metrics, they have won and we have lost.
10. If we believe that our identity and self-expression flow from our membership in various "tribes" defined by signifiers such as sports team logos, corporate logos, tattoos, programs and music we consume, brands and other consumables, they have won and we have lost.
11. If we believe the America of today is the perfection of all that is good about America rather than the suppression of all that is good about America, they have won and we have lost.
12. If we believe that learning and intellectual accomplishment are to be scorned as "elitist," they have won and we have lost.
13. If we believe that health results from consuming handfuls of pills, they have won and we have lost.
14. If we believe it is normal to transfer the vast majority of our earnings to the state and a handful of crony-capitalist cartels, they have won and we have lost.
15. If we believe the world is controlled by secret cabals over which we have no power, they have won and we have lost.
16. If we don't know what to do with ourselves when shopping, buying, consuming and entertainment/news are unavailable, they have won and we have lost.
17. If we believe there is a meaningful difference between the two political parties, they have won and we have lost.
18. If we believe we are entitled to convenience, state support, etc. as a birthright, they have won and we have lost.
19. If we believe we are powerless to change anything other than our current mix of consumption, they have won and we have lost.
20. If we believe that lying, cheating, fudging the numbers, exaggerating our victimhood or accomplishments, gaming the system and being silently complicit in others' lies, fabrications, deceptions and embezzlements are required to get ahead, they have won and we have lost.
An amazing list, and kudos to you for finding it and posting it. Makes us all feel like a bunch of sheep even if we do believe in conspiracies due to the amount of sheepdogs keeping us in line with the herd, and wolves waiting in the wings to devour us if we stray too far. To be truly free requires a lot more than many consider.
Here are some "it doesn't have to be this way"-related aphorisms:
"There is no security on this earth; there is only opportunity." (Douglas MacArthur)
"We are what we repeatedly do." (Aristotle)
"Do the thing and you shall have the power." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F. Schumacher)
"Do you know what amazes me more than anything else? The impotence of force to organize anything." (Napoleon Bonaparte)
"Whatever remains unconscious emerges later as fate." (Carl Jung)
"A healthy homecooked family meal and a home garden are revolutionary acts." (CHS)
"Any sufficiently advanced cartel's actions are indistinguishable from magic." (CHS)
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations)
"Passive absorption of marketing-dominated media is the primary activity on the plantation of the mind, and that of course is the goal of the colonial overlords: distraction, passivity, confusion, divide and conquer, and the old stand-by, financial desperation." (CHS)