Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Nasa's Curiosity Mars Rover Looks to 'Jump' Sand Dune

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
It sounds like a feat of daring-do but in order to avoid sharp rocks that have been denting Curiosity's wheels NASA intend to mount and drive over the dune at Dingo Gap.

Smoother terrain ahead: Looking over the top of the dune at Dingo Gap

Curiosity has already had one scuff at the base of the barrier, using a wheel to test the sand's consistency. The robot would have no problem managing the incline but mission planners will be concerned about the potential for any rocks hidden inside the dune to damage or snare Curiosity. Engineers believe the path ahead between two scarps referred to as "Dingo Gap" will be kinder on the rover's wheels.
www.bbc.co.uk...

This could be quite a ride , fingers crossed we don't lose the rover in the sand

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
And like this we lost the nice rover

That is why you don't let xgames people inside the control room

Thank you to bring this here s/f for you
_________

Isn't this the one with the busted wheels?
edit on 4-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

Yep there is a picture about it in the op article nvm me, its nice to see nasa makes things that last 5 km for 2.5b
edit on 4-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Good luck Curiosity

Maybe next time NASA should send one of these

edit on 4-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Good luck little buddy, without you who knows what we may miss out on discovering.

The team is mindful that Nasa's Spirit rover was lost in a sand trap in 2009. And the Opportunity rover, which has just celebrated 10 working years on the planet, very nearly went the same way in 2005 when it became stuck for several weeks in a deep dirt pile later dubbed "Purgatory Dune".
edit on 4-2-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Remember this?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
S+f First the horrible accident on blueit ridge and now this what's happening to everyone.

I don't know what I'll do without all those very entertaining threads. I'll have to do some work instead.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Pity it doesn't have a mini blower, just to expose any possible rock. But there you go. That fine stuff is dodgy.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

gortex
It sounds like a feat of daring-do but in order to avoid sharp rocks that have been denting Curiosity's wheels NASA intend to mount and drive over the dune at Dingo Gap.

Smoother terrain ahead: Looking over the top of the dune at Dingo Gap

Curiosity has already had one scuff at the base of the barrier, using a wheel to test the sand's consistency. The robot would have no problem managing the incline but mission planners will be concerned about the potential for any rocks hidden inside the dune to damage or snare Curiosity. Engineers believe the path ahead between two scarps referred to as "Dingo Gap" will be kinder on the rover's wheels.
www.bbc.co.uk...

This could be quite a ride , fingers crossed we don't lose the rover in the sand

They're going to trash this rover rather than go back and look at that mystery rock, fungus, jelly donut, thing.

edit on 4-2-2014 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Goodbye poor little rover.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

They're going to trash this rover rather than go back and look at that mystery rock, fungus, jelly donut, thing.

Only time will tell whether it's a bold move or a tragic mistake , if there are any mystery rocks that need looking at it has to be this one

If all goes well then onward and upward if not it's a long wait until 2020 for the next rover

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Does NASA have an estimate of how deep the sand is at its deepest point on this risky, ah, I mean daring, maneuver?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Jump usually means powered upwards motion from a base or a sudden movement from stationary.
In the context of a vehicle; it means for the wheels to leave the surface; not sure driving up then down a ridge qualifies.

What next??...it's going to make a 45 degree left turn are they going to promote the event by saying it's doing "some Tokyo Drifting"??

NASA is desperate for attention on a moon rover maneuver; what more proof do we need that they know nothing about aliens.
edit on 4-2-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

According to NASA the dune is 3 feet high at the middle , I guess they may try to go for the either end of the dune.

A dune across the gap is about 3 feet (1 meter) high in the middle and tapered at south and north ends onto low scarps on either side of the gap. The rover team is evaluating possible driving routes on the other side before a decision whether the cross the gap.
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 4-2-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Jukiodone

I am fairly certain that NASA has no intention to jump anything and that it was just the author's way of drawing attention to the article.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Thanks. Did they say when this is happening?

And whatever happened to the U.S. presidential limo? How was it moved from the edge where it got stuck because of its enormous size and weight? I wonder why the secretive service doesn't look at those kind of hazards in advance (I bet they will now). Hopefully the same type of governmental workers aren't driving the Rover into a blind sand dune, not knowing what massive boulders are underneath. This may be a trip of inches-at-a-time, accessing what it's bumping up against, if anything.
edit on 4-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Did they say when this is happening?

I haven't seen any mention of time scale but this latest update from RT reports that the decision has been made to cross the dune and that NASA will be taking the climb cautiously so it may happen over a few days.

NASA will be taking the climb cautiously and Curiosity will climb just part of the way up the dune as a test, Curiosity has already pressed an inquisitive wheel into the base of the dune.
rt.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Will they holler "YEE HAW" whilst they do it?

It just boggles the mind why they would take such chances with equipment that valuable.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Thanks. Here's a picture and image details of the test drive that one of ATS's picmasters, funbox, worked up for the anomalies thread:

sol532 mardi

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Curiosity's wheels are sure in a state, there are holes and wear marks already. What happens if a sharp edge of a largish rock gets wedged in one of those holes? The tread is only thin aluminium, with titanium spokes, so they won't collapse, but I don't like the look of those holes and all the wear. The roughhened surface might act like a key and start compacting the finer dust too, and that'll likely put the wheels out of true eventually, whether that would be a problem I don't know...we might have to rename it the Fred Flintstone rover!
edit on 4-2-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I'm not seeing holes as much as dents and scratches. To me they look pretty good considering the bumps and rocks they've traveled, and if they get past this sand maybe it'll be a little easier for awhile (hoping anyway, all I have to go by is a video of the planned route). Actually, I'll bring the video over to this thread, it was put up on a Blister thread and I found it really interesting.

Maybe someone can point out on the video (telling us what second to stop at and look around) where the Rover is attempting to drive across this sand dune. From Blister's thread "Curiosity's Destination": www.abovetopsecret.com...

From this video it look like ruff traveling to get across from the "smoother" area to Murray Buttes, and once they get past Murray Buttes, what then?? The path out of there seems to bump into larger sand dunes.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join