It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Outraged at Multicultural Coca Cola Superbowl Ad - Racist?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Lipton

language of drug mules, day laborers, fruit pickers and gardeners.

This would be the text book example of pre-judging and hence prejudice.

Let's pick the least of our own society and classify English speakers as such.

As to the last part agree to disagree, it is my view that lack of knowledge is the root of every problem in America.

Most of which is amplified by the division used to pander to the uneducated masses.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

benrl
reply to post by Lipton

language of drug mules, day laborers, fruit pickers and gardeners.

This would be the text book example of pre-judging and hence prejudice.

It's only judgmental if it's untrue:

A Detailed Look at Immigrant Employment by Occupation

Just happened to be the first google result detailing employment that was proportionally filled with illegal immigrants. What you may even notice is that it is a left-leaning publication; notice the way they worded the results of their data:

Many jobs often thought to be overwhelmingly immigrant are in fact majority native-born:
- Maids and housekeepers: 55 percent native-born
- Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 58 percent native-born
- Butchers and meat processors: 63 percent native-born
- Grounds maintenance workers: 65 percent native-born
- Construction laborers: 65 percent native-born
- Porters, bellhops, and concierges: 71 percent native-born
- Janitors: 75 percent native-born

Or look at it as saying that:
- Maids and housekeepers: 45 percent nonnative-born
- Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 42 percent nonnative-born
- Butchers and meat processors: 37 percent nonnative-born
- Grounds maintenance workers: 35 percent nonnative-born
- Construction laborers: 35 percent nonnative-born
- Porters, bellhops, and concierges: 29 percent nonnative-born
- Janitors: 25 percent nonnative-born

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 4-2-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
As a denizen of the rainbow nation, I thought that ad was beautiful! (not sufficiently so that I'd poison myself on coc aineless sugar water tho).

South Africa has 11 official languages. Bit OTT, but the sense of respect it gives to all the cultures is priceless. English is the defacto language, and it is isn't resented because for everyone it's a pragmatic choice not something that is forced. Practically, anyone can request a translator to their language in official situations, like in court, which I think is just fair.

Chill.
Celebrate diversity, it makes you anti-fragile.
Go slow on the koolaid.
Don't drink the coke.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lipton

There is NO "official" language for the US. Some states list English as their official language, but our country HAS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Ok, now I understand what everyone has been banging on about all over the place!

Let me just give a shout out to the idiot masses who tweeted in anger against the advertisement on the basis of the languages expressed in the ad.

Douchebags,

You have to be some of the most pointless wastes of flesh I have ever heard of. The fact that you are all breathing everyone elses air is a disgrace, and you should all be ashamed of yourselves. First off, everyone who complained that the song must be sung in English is a moron. No one in America speaks English. They speak American English, and the distinction must be made, because to confuse the messy hybrid muck that is the American version with the wonderous edifice that is the original, is like comparing microwave burgers to home cooked roast beef. It just is not done. On that point, the complainants may all officially consider themselves schooled.

Also, there is no official language of the United States of America, and therefore it is unreasonable to complain when someone uses a tune WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO INSPIRE UNITY YOU IDIOT CRETINS, in a new and all encompassing way. You cannot be proud to be an American, which is (in the very best way, and I mean this in not one singular way as an insult) a hybrid nation, without being proud that people from all over the planet come to live there, because that is EXACTLY how the nation got started in the first damned place!

I actually saw some genius from the US armed services tweeted on this subject, staunchly against the singing of songs in any language other than English. This genetic accident actually thinks that he ought to be able to wield a rifle in defense of a country which HE HAS NO UNDERSTANDING OR APPRECIATION FOR THE HISTORY OF, WHAT SO DAMNED EVER! If THAT is an example of what people consider to be an American patriot, then God help your country.

Further more, to the really ignorant cuss who bandied about the N word, assumed that the ladies with the head dresses were "terrorists" just because they have a different faith to your own, and probably spat on the last Mexican you walked past, your kind should have been terminated when the civil rights movement won the day. Your continued existence is an insult to all the free peoples of the planet, let alone the good people of a free, and multi-cultural USA.

Just one more thing... if I can see, from all the way across the pond, how disgusting your behavior is, then imagine how your fellow countrymen must feel when they read this garbage on your twitter feed? Think long and hard about that.

Open letter to douchebags anonymous ends here.....

Now, for everyone else, these words are meant to express my horror at some of the worst excesses I saw on the example page of twitter, offered up by the article in the OP. I actually LIKE American people by and large, I have no problem with ANYONE who expresses the merest ounce of sense and logic.

I also appreciate patriotism, because I think, if done right, it is healthy for someone to want to represent their nation in a positive light. However, there are some people in every nation, who cannot see the line between patriot and psychopath, and any negative comments made above, referencing such matters were not directed at any one of the patriots from ALL nations, that I know frequent these boards. I love you all, and you probably knew that already.

If any of you felt that my comments were inappropriate, then I apologise. I would ask you to consider this however:

Would you rather I was honest with you all (people who, by extension of your membership of this wonderful site, I consider family), about how I feel about events, or would you like me to lie to you?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Typical .. in amerika if your not white .. rich and christian you have no place .. contrary to claims everyone is NOT equal in america and never will be .. not surprised in the least by the racist comments made over a commercial .. do yourselves a favour and stay in your backwater .. racist country .. elsewhere in the world people speak and use more than one language quite common in many countries to use two to three languages at least and the people get along far better in most other countries without the stupidity of speak english only " .. political correctness covering blatant racism.. meh maybe one day people will learn race doesnt mean a damn thing everyone is human ..

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
People are actually up in arms about this? Give me a moment to laugh....

Ah, that's better.

I mean really? Are people seriously that insulted about languages? Just goes to show how much arrogance and self importance there is in this country. And people wonder why so many countries around the world dislike us as a country.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
If you are disgusted by this in English, press one

Si está disgustado por esto en español, presione dos

Si vous êtes dégoûté par ce en français, appuyez sur trois

Wenn Sie mit dieser in der deutschen angewidert sind, drücken Sie vier

إذا كنت بالاشمئزاز من قبل هذا باللغة العربية، اضغط الخمس

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

ketsuko

It's fine to be bilingual or trilingual or more, but at least one of those languages needs to be in common. Here it's English.

And it is. Whats wrong with PRIVATE comapny acknowlaging other laungages? Its just a song in a add.

Guess the 1st Amendment only counts when you agree with it.
Cause were Im sitting the 1st allows a private compnay to sing a song in whatever laungage it sees fit.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Lingweenie

I know only in America.

The country with the 1st Amendment

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

crazyewok

Lingweenie

I know only in America.

The country with the 1st Amendment

I also find it highly ironic people love to hug onto English so tightly. Yet, it was created in Europe, specifically England. Hence the name English. We aren't speaking "American" that's for sure.

And these same people get hyped up thinking about our freedoms we fought for (the revolution.) Because it's the ultimate patriotic event in American history. Guess who we fought in order to get these freedoms? England...

Oh but wait, they were white people too. So I guess us using their language really doesn't matter to much.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

ketsuko
The only thing I don't like is the implication that "Hey we love your country so much we came here, but ... yeah, not that much. We demand that you do everything in our language ..."

It's great that immigrants come here, but if we cannot put ourselves into one dominant overall culture and speak one dominant language, then we are further divided and weakened as a people.

A house divided against itself cannot stand, nor can those peoples trust one another if they cannot even communicate.

Did none of you learn the story of the Tower of Babel?

As most people here know, I know a LOT of immigrants to this country. The first thing they all do is learn the language. They do their best to learn the basics before they get here, most anyway, and then learn it to perfection once here. It takes a while, but they do it.

That language they learn is American English. Its not official, but its official unofficially because everyone here speaks it, official documents are in this language etc. That makes English the language of the land.

I agree with you that people should learn the language and not refuse to integrate through language... they came here after all.

I do know a few who did not know English when they came, one was fluent in french and misguidedly thought he could get by in the beginning on french until he could learn English... lol... he learned English very very fast I tell you! But they all learn it once here.

A refusal to learn the language is a saying in an unofficial manner, that someone wants no part of this country other than what they can take in their pocket back to their homeland. That attitude does make me angry and should make everyone upset. If money is all someone wants from this country rather than being part of our society, then they should just go home... I would rather see benefit (jobs etc) to those who love this country and actually want to be a part of what makes this country great.

As far as the commercial, I did not find it offensive, but my husband did on the basis that coke is a multi-national corporation using a song that is almost an anthem in America for the purpose of peddling their goods to the world. That is what offends him, had they used a different song he would not have been offended. He said it would be the same as coke using the russian anthem... its just not right somehow.
edit on 4-2-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

If I read the 1st right. You have the right to be offended and evreyone else has the right to call you petty and xenophobic.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

hahahahaha

Now THAT is funny as hell... funniest thing I heard all year.

BTW. I am a Muslim, whose mother is an immigrant. Yet, oddly xenophobic. hahahahahaha

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by OpinionatedB

If I read the 1st right. You have the right to be offended and evreyone else has the right to call you petty and xenophobic.

You know, growing up, I was taught how important it was to fit in. We used to read books on etiquette so we always did the right thing in social situations. We learned well how to be an American and what was acceptable and what was not. Language and speaking it properly was very important in my house.

Why? Because we WERE American! We lived in this land, so we learned the land in which we lived. Because this land is GREAT!

Because here, we are FREE. Here, there are no checkpoints. Here, you can be whatever you want, have whatever life you choose.

Freedom. This is America.

People who do not understand how great this country is, will never choose to "fit in", will never choose to be a part of this society... because they don't like it in the first place.

And some, like it or not, are here only for what they can take, rather than what they can give back. I will stick with the ones who choose to give back, and not only take.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Should we care about language?
We might do well to remember the entire planet and it's contents are being translated into 0's and 1's.
Human languages are beautiful, where's the humanity in computer codes?

PS - I do my best to not watch commercials, they don't pay me for my time so why bother?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Coke is a globalist corporation. This is a globalist commercial so it has a global appeal. Lots of folks all over the world watching the super bowl. That's all this is. I mean hell if Coke is going to pay for the air time then they are going to consider broadcast range and their worldwide market. That's all that americans need to know about this add.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
isis reply to post by TheRegal
[more

I agree. What the commercial is really saying is, We will kill you all equally. The are selling a product that kills and they don't care wh it kills as long as they are making a profit.

After all you are doing it yourself; they aren't forcing you to buy it, serve it or drink it.

They even refused to pull their product when they wee forced to admit that their product is deadly and bribe our corrupt courts to allow them to continue to sell it.

So all together now......, let's sing!

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Another American here. I watched the ad and said "don't care". Didn't rustle a single jimmy. Therefore as I have demonstrated the generalization in the thread title to be untrue, I respectfully ask it be changed to read "*Some* Americans" are upset.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join