It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Outraged at Multicultural Coca Cola Superbowl Ad - Racist?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

thanks for the definition.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

ketsuko
The only thing I don't like is the implication that "Hey we love your country so much we came here, but ... yeah, not that much. We demand that you do everything in our language ..."

It's great that immigrants come here, but if we cannot put ourselves into one dominant overall culture and speak one dominant language, then we are further divided and weakened as a people.

A house divided against itself cannot stand, nor can those peoples trust one another if they cannot even communicate.

Did none of you learn the story of the Tower of Babel?

*sigh*

America, where Ignorance is a virtue.

If you are so concerned with "understanding" we could always go the European model, and you know educate ourselves with more than one language.

Not even saying which, just the thought that "English or nothing" when we have no "official" Language in the land of the "free" is pretty retarded in my book.

I am the first to say that tolerance should be tempered and Immigrants should adapt, but lets not act like thats the major crushing problem to America.

The one problem we have here above all else, is a lack of education, something that more knowledge (languages are a gateway to a wealth of knowledge) will only help.

Economy, Crime, all the major "issues" could be solved by embracing knowledge not demanding conformity.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Knew this ad would light a fuse under the Conservative Right that is desperately trying to come up with anything that will legitimize their feelings that there is a war being waged against the white race!

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

muse7
Knew this ad would light a fuse under the Conservative Right that is desperately trying to come up with anything that will legitimize their feelings that there is a war being waged against the white race!

As an American that happens to be Hispanic, I saw this commercial for exactly that, bait, hook line and sinker.

I watched it, and knew it was extremely stupid given the demographics the Superbowl does well in (white make 16-40), its either poor choices, or deliberate poking.

Im not saying the add was wrong, just that I saw it and just knew it was going to be received extremely poorly.

It would be akin to advertising heavily with same sex relationships portrayed, it would just fail with the Superbowl crowd.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I'm not sure how that applies to a corporation fronting an advertisement that includes multiple languages. It's not exactly an implication of the destruction of America. And really, saying "they come to our country"... whose country? America is for everyone, not just the English-speaking white folk who were, by mere chance, born in America.

Assume much? America is a land of immigrants. This is true. Immigrants from all places, and Natives, like my husband. But what makes us a culture and people is that once we are here, we unify and become Americans no matter what we were previously. That includes adopting the dominant language so that we can all communicate.

I think you are seriously making my comment into something it's not.

What I'm driving at is the current PC drive to subdivide Americans into lots of little cultures groups divided by hyphens. Then encourage them to keep their native cultures and languages rather than adopting the dominant one. Keep us from unifying. Keep us fighting. Keep us from being able to communicate or trust one another because we in fact don't become a melting pot because we don't alloy but stay divided and separate.

Fiction is not an adequate citing as evidence of anything.

The story of the Tower of Babel is an allegory. The people were weakened by being divided with different tongues. They could no longer understand one another and no longer trusted one another, and thus, could no longer band together to accomplish great things.

I am citing it as a parallel, not as evidence.

Nowhere am I saying that you must sacrifice your native tongue or language as an immigrant, but you should assimilate by learning the new one. I am sure that if I moved to any other country in the world, they would expect no less of me.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
There were other videos apparently that were controversial this year- didn't make the superbowl.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

benrl

ketsuko
The only thing I don't like is the implication that "Hey we love your country so much we came here, but ... yeah, not that much. We demand that you do everything in our language ..."

It's great that immigrants come here, but if we cannot put ourselves into one dominant overall culture and speak one dominant language, then we are further divided and weakened as a people.

A house divided against itself cannot stand, nor can those peoples trust one another if they cannot even communicate.

Did none of you learn the story of the Tower of Babel?

*sigh*

America, where Ignorance is a virtue.

If you are so concerned with "understanding" we could always go the European model, and you know educate ourselves with more than one language.

Not even saying which, just the thought that "English or nothing" when we have no "official" Language in the land of the "free" is pretty retarded in my book.

I am the first to say that tolerance should be tempered and Immigrants should adapt, but lets not act like thats the major crushing problem to America.

The one problem we have here above all else, is a lack of education, something that more knowledge (languages are a gateway to a wealth of knowledge) will only help.

Economy, Crime, all the major "issues" could be solved by embracing knowledge not demanding conformity.

Again, assume much?

No, not English or nothing. Dur-hur.

Just that English is the principle language, so why should we translate this into every other one out there?

I think the rest is fine.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

benrl

muse7

As an American that happens to be Hispanic, I saw this commercial for exactly that, bait, hook line and sinker.

I watched it, and knew it was extremely stupid given the demographics the Superbowl does well in (white make 16-40), its either poor choices, or deliberate poking.

Im not saying the add was wrong, just that I saw it and just knew it was going to be received extremely poorly.

It would be akin to advertising heavily with same sex relationships portrayed, it would just fail with the Superbowl crowd.

HEHE!! Exactly.. clever clever little rabble rousers those marketers are.
Its unfortunate that so many are taken in by it.

Only problem is the slippery slope of multiculturalism... in the more modern sense of the word.. being a failure. A person should assimilate and still maintain his cultural or tribal roots. It can be done.. regardless of what the idiots tell you. You dont HAVE to be a hispanic ( or whatever) in America.. or ONLY an American and throw off your roots. You can simply be American. That encompasses both.. and ALWAYS did. Somehow that has changed over time.. and become a dirty idea.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I just CAN NOT understand the military veterans posting horrible, nasty posts on coca cola's facebook about how "this isn't the America they fought for" or "this is America, speak English" or "If you don't speak English, get out".

Really??

Last time I checked, the military wasn't just taking only white Americans who speak only English.

Did any of them serve with a Mexican that speaks Spanish? A Cherokee that speaks Tsalgi? A black that might speak an African tribal language? etc.

What country exactly, do they believe they are serving?

The should be ashamed. There are some Native Americans over there posting videos of Native veterans who have died serving their country.

This is embarrassing.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Very well said. We need one to unify us, but there is no reason not to remember and maintain your roots underneath that.

I think the add would have done a better job of conveying this without translating the song. Simply showing all the differing peoples would have been enough. With the translation you lose the common thread IMO.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

And I think you make a mistake to assume that only whites are making those comments. I have known some people of other ethnicities who feel the same about it - America is the country where you speak English.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

ketsuko

Very well said. We need one to unify us, but there is no reason not to remember and maintain your roots underneath that.

I think the add would have done a better job of conveying this without translating the song. Simply showing all the differing peoples would have been enough. With the translation you lose the common thread IMO.

America herself has lost her roots... what she was originally. Theyve twisted it all up.. and youre correct.. to divide. Its a shame really. Its a GREAT concept and a wonderful model for a country. We're young yet as a nation.. I have some hope

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i don't see (understand) what their problem with language is. do they only eat burgers and apple pie? do they only wear jeans (german btw)?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

My conspiracy mind says, this is targeted to create dissension among varying races and cultures. A weakened country embroiled in racism and hate, is a country that is weakened.

edit on 3-2-2014 by Aisling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

not english - american 'english'.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

Who cares...they are singing the song about America...good enough for me. I actually thought the commercial was ok (pinch myself-still an independent).

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

Or Coke is scoring some huge marketing points seeing that they distribute all over the world...the media is pumping this up and in one week this will be forgotten

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

taoistguy
i don't see (understand) what their problem with language is. do they only eat burgers and apple pie? do they only wear jeans (german btw)?

If you are a country composed almost entirely of immigrants, it's a problem if everyone clings to their own language rather then learning one dominant one.

I worked at a school that was referred to as the UN of the district. It was pretty cool. It also represented about 40 different languages.

Now, imagine that all those people never bothered learning even one language in common. How do you accommodate that in a single country?

That's the big deal with language.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

then why not everyone learn esperanto?
c'mon, it's only a song and an advert for coke. not a big deal.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Well, this middle-aged white woman who tends to lean toward conservative thought it was beautiful. My guess is that more people didn't care about the language. It's just the vocal minority.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join