It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Places to Find Local Food and Family Farms Near You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

As demand for local and raw goods continue to rise, more people are asking - where do I find local organic? Where do I find raw milk and join a herd share? Where are the farmers markets, co-ops and stands?

Search engines are actually terrible at locating these underground hubs, which makes it so frustrating to try and opt out of corporate chains, save money, and build your family's health. If you've ever gotten a bunch of 'Yelp' listings for weight loss pills while searching, you know what I'm talking about. I've helped a few people find a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) but I found it by accident.

So where are they all hiding?

As it turns out, many of the farmers and markets you're looking for have teamed up with certain websites to be mapped. Use this easy list to find yours today. They won't all be on the same map, but you will be sure to find markets and family farms in your area that were previously invisible.

Why you should bookmark and try them all - not all the hubs will be organic, some are just local. Some don't provide raw milk but could lead you there. Some have other resources like healthy body care, organic delivery or restaurants serving your favorite farm finds worth looking into. Some of the websites don't share your political perspective or stance on health and were possibly supported by agencies and organizations you don't care for. But that's okay, take only what you need and leave the rest.

20 Places to Find Local Food & Family Farms Near You

Looks like they got a show going on about it:

"Listen In! Activist Post writer, Brandon Turbeville, interviews Heather Callaghan on his show tonight, Truth on the Tracks, 9 p.m. EST. They will be discussing the list of hidden places to find your food sources, found below. You can also join the chat and listen at UCY.TV/TT

Be there with us, join us in this discussion of a solution to take back your food freedom!"

I LOVE this resource for local/organic food. I found my farms while living in TWO different places, they really were hiding lol. I found raw milk and produce. All the maps are different and helpful. I told friends who sell eggs about it so they could market their products.

I highly recommend this as a guide to starting your route to food freedom, better health and saving money. PS - it's all right there on one webpage, the links are right there.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kmhotaru

That's a great site. But for those who live in the North, be warned, you had best learn how to can as well. Many of the markets that are listed on this site are seasonal. So between Nov and Apr, the pickings are bare and almost any veggie you buy came from out of state. Which will be reflected in the price.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I actually added the link to my favorites...I think it would be nice to take my boys to this type of market if I can find a few in my area...I think my kids would enjoy this more than hitting my local market...thanks

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

We do ours via Facebook. If you've ever seen the local buy sell and swap pages or garage sales groups there, or whatever people think of these days, we get word out to others regarding localised produce, meat and anything organic locally by word of social media alone. We also encourage sellers at the local farmer's markets to advertise their wares that generates interest in that sort of thing too. To date it has been very successful.

We also have a seedling, fruit and veg and just about anything else organic swap and sell site within Facebook, that currently has about 800 members.

The idea is to get mass producing with your own gardens and to meet privately and swap ideas or organic foods within the group. A couple of friends and myself started it up about a year ago, and we meet once a month and do an "organic garage sale" so to speak. People can come and trade, or just take home-grown produce they need, along with seeds, seedlings, recipes and plants.

We do all this without council approval currently on private property, but have recently started in our town the whole edible verge gardens you see guerilla gardeners doing these days. It was slow going getting local councils on board, but to see an apple tree growing on a verge strip where kids can just pick an apple off and eat it is what the whole idea is about.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

That's awesome about what you're doing with the grow and swap. Hopefully, the list will give you more hubs to connect online and off - good luck!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

TDawgRex

That's a great site. But for those who live in the North, be warned, you had best learn how to can as well. Many of the markets that are listed on this site are seasonal. So between Nov and Apr, the pickings are bare and almost any veggie you buy came from out of state. Which will be reflected in the price.

So true - I did run into this problem while living in the north. Markets aren't always open all year and shipping can be expensive. Canning would be great to learn and save money on bulk food buys, and keep eating during the winter.

One thing I didn't see on the list - up north and I'm sure there are other companies like this - there are organic delivery services. It seems pricey at first - but I actually tried it for a couple months and spent only a few dollars more. What helped is that they had recipe cards for using the seasonal stuff. What also helped was NOT trying to do both junk food and organic but just switching to one source. Easier said than done. I noticed they did have stuff throughout the winter.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

We're lucky Seattle is snobby and shuns wal-mart, we have great coops. And if you can afford it Whole Foods is amazing

top topics

join