It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Break Teen's Arm For Not Leaving School Bus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The kids arm being broken is way over the top of acceptable procedure for gaining compliance with some kid on a bus. It might be justifiable but it was done by a dishonorable cop. The cops approach is the kind of attitude that leads to people being hurt like this. POLICE should always stay professional, and breaking a kids arm in a bus is completely unnecessary. Anyone with any legit training in tactics for this kind of situation could have easily got him off the bus without the cracking of bones.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Police were called after the driver said he felt he could not safely transport Gocheski to school at Parsons Child and Family Center, "based on threats that the student made in an aggressive manner," police said in the release.

Okay, the driver sounds like a tool.

The attorney said the teenager's medications were being adjusted at the time, limiting his ability to move. He has been diagnosed with multiple emotional disorders, including Tourette syndrome, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder and pervasive developmental disorder,…

I can't get over this. Doesn't the driver know about these conditions and why is it the police are called to deal with a mentally ill kid? Not saying there has to be a million regulations to deal with situations like this, but why are you afraid of a 16 year old…

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Visitor2012

"You can either walk off the bus, or we can drag you off the bus, strap you on a stretcher and take you to Ellis Hospital. You can walk off the bus like a young man or we can hog-tie you."

...now does that sound like the proper way to handle a delicate situation?

Actually, it does. He's got to get off the bus, and it's either walk or be carried.

That doesn't have to include "...and during getting you off the bus, we intentionally apply a bit of cop vengeance and break your arm". Unless, of course, it was "...and I'm a fat incompetent donut muncher who can't put cuffs on an unresisting 16 year old who might go a buck thirty without breaking his arm". Not sure I see any clear alternatives to that one.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

elevatedone
reply to post by stargatetravels

Not excusing it... see my post above yours... it was an accident a terrible accident.

Psych nurses manage to get violently insane people from point A to point B with no broken bones at all. Big adult ones, not just kiddies. In fact, if THEY break patient's bones, they are generally charged with felonies.

Maybe if cops were, too, it might engender a bit more care?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Okay let's suppose we have an unknown guy who comes by trying to help. He enters in the bus, do the same job and breaks the other kid's arm in the end. What happens?

He is charged with assault and will be treated as a criminal.

But when someone has a uniform and is financed by the mighty government.. oh well now that's some good work officer!

You know what's the problem in this story? 15 minutes.

We are so unpatient in this modern world that we cannot even take the time to help a kid find reason without violence. That's very very bad, but that's the way it works huh? Everything have to go fast. Money money money.

What would have you said if it was your kid?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Why is it that cops are more emotionally unstable than the person that they are trying to arrest? - A big change in attitude goes a long way to fix that "look at me and be scared" mentality that cops seem to have ingrained into their collective consiousness.

Cops- Nobody cares how tough you think you are, they are terrified because you all show up to the scene ready to put down any naysayers any which way- rather than showing up to the scene with the intention of making bad or impossible situations manageable.

Seems like cops are missing a major part of training- the ability to understand the situation in which they are faced.
Not everything can be solved with a Taser-Gun- or close combat maneuver.

That kid will get paid- he just sat there. He didnt attack- the cops did. For WHAT? Cause they were gunna be late for breakfast?

"Another cop bashing thread"- Yup- it sure is- Cause thats what cops do to kids- they bash on em until something breaks.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

I'm sure that if the cop would use a friendly and reassuring attitude, this accident would never happened. There's a way to interact with people without using strenght.

Maybe this kid needed only someone to tell him '' hey it's okay buddy come with us and we will talk'' and not '' GET DA FUAK OUT OF THE BUS NOOWW, POWF! PAWF! [broken arm]''

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

The Old American
$1M lawsuit after troubled teen's arm broken by police in removal from school bus/TOA

Did the majority of you police bashers actually watch the video? Honestly the pair of officers that responded were very calm and collected, never once screamed, threatened violence, talked down to, or tried to shoot the kid 17 times.

IMO the escalation of force went in correct order; gently asking, multiple verbal commands, verbal order and lastly physical altercation. I truly believe that in this example neither officer intended for the kid to get hurt. Now there is no shortage of videos out there documenting police brutality and I'm not downplaying what happened to this kid. But I think that this individual example was a freak accident.

Side note: Scroll to 1:30. The adult female in the back is laughing at the fact that the kid had his arm broke and stifles her laughter with her hand.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Keradith
I'm sure that if the cop would use a friendly and reassuring attitude, this accident would never happened.

Why not try actually reading the article, as if you had bothered to read it you would have seen

The video from the bus showed Sgt. Daniel Ryan and Officer Ronald Armstrong talking for nearly 15 minutes to Gocheski, who wore a camouflage hoodie and kept his head down

So before you do some cop bashing try reading the story!

edit on 3-2-2014 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
While I love to jump in on a cop bashing I can't really do it on this one. Yes, breaking the kid's arm was bad, but, after 15 minutes of talking to the kid it was obvious the cops weren't getting anywhere. And they were trying to talk to the kid. They weren't being rude or forceful with him, up until they decided he wasn't going to be even a little cooperative. I have to chalk this up to the kid just being stubborn. If his behavior is/was just due to mental issues let's hope this kid gets the help he needs and doesn't turn out to be another mass murderer.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I am going to have to agree with your unpopular opinion I think. While it is true that we live in an impatient society these days, we also live in a society that has seemingly forgotten how to teach it's children about the ramifications that might arise out of whatever actions they may or may not take. They have become (mostly) unable to think ahead about consequences because they are never made to. It's "abuse" to chastise your children for not following certain rules and we don't want to hurt their feelings by telling them they did something wrong and must now suffer through whatever outcome may come. It has become "bad" to punish children for inappropriate behavior, so when they are faced with real life situations with real life consequences they make bad decisions/choices. We do them no favors when we do not teach them to think things through.

This boy obviously had other issues as was printed in the article so the above may not even apply to him personally, but even if you factor that in.... the outcome was unfortunate, but somewhat expected (removal....not the broken arm). The bus driver didn't feel safe with the child any longer and knowing that many mentally unbalanced people often partake in erratic, unpredictable behavior I am not sure what else the cops could have done. I imagine if they had taken another 30 minutes to "beg" him to get off the bus and he wound up pulling a weapon and killing his classmates we would be hearing about why the cops didn't get him off of the bus faster... by any means necessary.

It's almost like a lose/lose situation. I am no champion of the police by any stretch of the imagination, but I also don't think they are all bad either. It's tragic that anything like this ever happens... accident or not.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

It's possible to remove people from a seat without breaking bones. Psych nurses do it all day long. ED RNs do it too. Because if they break your arm, they go to jail. No negative feedback, it becomes "whatever".

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
They broke that kid's arm and his mental condition immediately improved. Wonder why no one's mentioned that yet? -chuckle-

It did look like the cop was intentionally trying to hurt 'em though. A million bucks for a broken arm? Doubt it.

That kid learned the most valuable lesson of his life right there: Never EVER call the cops. The outcome is almost always bad.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
They were reasonable with him up until the point they broke his arm.

If he has mental issues, perhaps assaulting him wasn't the best decision?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The diagnosis list on this kid is stunning to see. It's like they took the Chinese Menu version of the DSM IV for what the kid had wrong and just made a collection of it.

He has been diagnosed with multiple emotional disorders, including Tourette syndrome, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder and pervasive developmental disorder, according to the family's lawyer.

Was breaking his arm right? No. Of course not. Are we honestly suggesting they broke his arm deliberately with actual intent? That seems insane.

15 minutes spent on this is a lot of police time taken on a bus needed to take other kids to school. The kid had to be moved and had already threatened others..including the driver, which is how the story opens. So what choices really existed here? Cede the bus to the child altogether and just wait outside with the keys until the fit is over? I mean the choices get almost non-existent when time and talk aren't getting anywhere with a stubborn child.

Perhaps it's also time we honestly start asking if the kids with a running list of legitimate mental diagnosis should even BE mainstreaming in with everyone else. I'll be the first to say my son would never have been in public schools with his autism for the half-efforts they've been able to make if we could do otherwise. The alternative is a private school for autistic children which happens to be in the general area ...and would have taken 2/3rd's of my trucking salary (gross, not net) to pay tuition for. Required to be arranged in advance, naturally. Impossible for middle class level folk, IMO.
edit on 4-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Lipton

The Old American
$1M lawsuit after troubled teen's arm broken by police in removal from school bus/TOA

Did the majority of you police bashers actually watch the video? Honestly the pair of officers that responded were very calm and collected, never once screamed, threatened violence, talked down to, or tried to shoot the kid 17 times.

IMO the escalation of force went in correct order; gently asking, multiple verbal commands, verbal order and lastly physical altercation. I truly believe that in this example neither officer intended for the kid to get hurt. Now there is no shortage of videos out there documenting police brutality and I'm not downplaying what happened to this kid. But I think that this individual example was a freak accident.

Side note: Scroll to 1:30. The adult female in the back is laughing at the fact that the kid had his arm broke and stifles her laughter with her hand.

Intent they had was to get him off the bus with the force of a tow rope pulling him out. Saying they didn't intend for his arm to be broken is wrong, because the act of breaking the arm is making the intent itself. They committed a class C felony Just like robbing a bank already shows the intent by the act itself. I just cant defend them for doing this, it is full of criminal intent to harm an unruly citizen, or a minor child even worse. It reminds of the Seattle policeman who shot the deaf guy right in the back walking on the sidewalk whittling some chunk of wood. because the guy didn't obey the cop.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that same cop in the bus could have had the kid in a headlock and broken his neck real easy, killing the kid. If cops aren't made to chill out now for assault, what will they do later? Oh yeah , they already do get away with murder.
I admit I'm becoming biased though..

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

So you feel the teenager deserved his arm broken?

Bad mod....bad mod.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Kid got what he deserved...I'm sorry but the pussyification of our kids is ridiculous. We expect them to be respectful to others and when they don't we just say "please get off the bus son". That's the problem with America is we have become to lenient and to passive. We have become a lazy emo society and it's sick.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The kid was mentally unsound and uncooperative, what else can the cops do? Maybe some more training focused on mentally unstable suspects. Like if someone is having a manic episode maybe they can learn how to counteract it to make the other person cooperate, so they can be sent to a hospital asap. Evenso, sometimes I don't think even a trained professional can do this peacefully. Reality just doesn't work that way. It always finds a way to throw a curve ball eventually.

That's the problem with too many rules. Reality likes to break them. We don't have enough rules to keep up because reality is always one step ahead. If you make a rule that someone can't do XYZ because you believe it's almost impossible to be appropriate, well reality will eventually figure out a way to make it necessary.

Reality is like reaching into a can that likely has nothing in it, but it might also have a several dozen species of poisonous insects crawling around inside. Try as we might to control it, it'll always find a way to slip out of reach.
edit on 4-2-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

HawkeyeNation
Kid got what he deserved...I'm sorry but the pussyification of our kids is ridiculous. We expect them to be respectful to others and when they don't we just say "please get off the bus son". That's the problem with America is we have become to lenient and to passive. We have become a lazy emo society and it's sick.

I normally quote only a specific portion of a member's post, but I'm in agreement with everything you said ... even if it's not the politically correct thing to say.

It's readily apparent to me that a new dividing line is being drawn for the 'mentally challenged' and their entitlement as a special interest group. The rod has been cast aside in favor of fresh labeling. Disgusting!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join