It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deaf & Speech-impaired calling 911

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
How do they do it while on the road or away from home? I know of lots of hearing/speech impaired folks who have been using phones with text/data plans to get by fine.

What about dead or speech-impared folks calling 911 to report a life-threatening emergency, directly? Why doesn't 911 provide direct text response?

And, to add an extra twist, what if a major event makes more folks deaf and/or mute - how will they report emergencies and get assistance from their phones?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Why don't you call your local police department (NOT the 911 number!) and ask them? I'm sure they're set up for this and will be able to tell you how to proceed.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

What about dead or speech-impared folks calling 911 to report a life-threatening emergency, directly?

I hear they are coming out with a Wiji phone for the "dead". Sorry, I know thats not what you meant, couldn't resist.

On a land line all they have to do is dial. If the call connects they know where the phone is.

But really, do you want them knowing where your cell is at all times?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well if they are dead, its too late
, you can text the police, you can text a text to speech company, you can get someone else call for you, there was a service for signers on mobile, dont know if it made it to thought

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Deaf use teletypewriter but those are becoming obsolete as text becomes more popular.

Why is there not an option for text to speech emergency 911 calls?

Because 911 has no competition and is government run. They have no reason to upgrade or "get with the program".

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Life alert can help you!

top topics

join