It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universal Religion of the Roman Empire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The Christianity that we know today, was created by order of the Roman emperor, Constantine, in 325AD. It was specificly designed to include elements from each of the different religions of the empire, making it a universal religion to replace all the rest. It was legally established as the official Roman religion, and all other religions were outlawed in the empire.
Apostolic Christianity was actually a movement to revive "fundamental" Judaism, which was a movement to resurrect the Davidic kingdom, before the Jews backslid from the gospel of the kingdom.

TPK

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Have anything to back that up? From what I understand, Christianity wasn't made the official Roman religion, but was simply legalized, due to the strength of the Christian community, and that was in 310. The "Donation of Constantine" which was supposed to have declared Christianity the state religion, was a fake, and other religions weren't banned. It's also disputed whether Constantine (the I) was ever a Christian himself. - Wikipedia entry

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TPK
It's also disputed whether Constantine (the I) was ever a Christian himself. - Wikipedia entry

He turned into christanity on his death bed, he was a Sun worshiper,But the reason he pursued the Christian religions was because his mother was a christian follower, and she when into a crusade of finding proof of Jesus existance.

What she could not find she make sure it was found so we can thank her for most of the "sites" of Jesus proof of existance in modern Jerusalem.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Very true about the "Donation of Constantine"! Kind of like the Larmenius manuscript of the Templars! Fabrications of some group to prove their own "authority". The Vatican did it to give themselves land in which to implement the Pauline way of things: One Church, One Faith, One Body in Christ.

But, the early Christian movement was not meant to unify the Jewish movement for the Davidiv kingdom in my opinion. Jesus could have easily lead the revolt against the Romans, but he would have ended in the same way, nailed on a cross, his worshippers/students scattered to the four winds. But he chose to do it another way, he chose to separate his people from the world in like from his Essene teachers.

But, as with all religious groups, there comes a time when the followers have to consolidate their power and unite in some way, shape, or form. Thus the tie to the Jewish enemy, Rome. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. Hate to say this, but in my opinion, the Christianity of today is not what I think Christ would have wanted. He would want the Kingdom in the heart and the soul, not in some place. I think that the Nag Hammadi manuscripts, especially "The Gospel of St. Thomas", to be more...true, early Christianity was a Gnostic movement, not a (an excuse me for saying, to those who hold close ties to other Christian movements) not a Catholic, Methodist, or other Christian movements.

Forgive me if I slid off topic, I am pretty new here. Thank you for indulging me.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
TPK, marg6043, and LomionArannahs:
Thankyou for your responses:-)
My statement was my own personal opinion, interpolated from a comparison of written history, with the greater story which runs through the bible.
It is my opinion that Constantine had purely political reasons for establishing a universal religion for the empire: (1) to bring a halt to the civil unrest caused by the fighting followers of the many religions, and (2), to redirect the emphasis of Christianity, away from the resurrection of the Israelite kingdom, both of which were threats to a peaceful empire.

top topics

join