It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobby Lobby May Close All 500+ Stores in 41 States

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Then there is no issue because Plan B® is the most common method of emergency birth control because.

wiki

EC

Emergency contraception

Otherwise known as birth control. Dude is waisting his money on a case he can not possibly win.
Personally I can't wait for it to go to court though so we will have case law to quote.

Goodnight.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

His argument will be it's not birth control, it's an abortion pill. It is a very different mechanism as normal BC prevents mature eggs, and prevents fertilization. Plan B does neither.

ETA: If (when) he loses, his only option will be to cut hours to make it so less employees qualify, and then simply take the penalty for not offering it, which won't be as large since there's fewer people qualifying, and then stop paying such a high wage to make up the losses.

Government wins, people lose. Seems to be what they want.
edit on 4-2-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Oh I see it is just that exclusion for his religious beliefs.

So is that where the line gets drawn.

Remember when I asked if there was a line, where the line was and what determines the line?

Can you not see the reason why they are pushing for just this much? Wasn't information posted that there are some financial backers helping with this suit?

I believe they are trying to move the line and set a legal precedent to continue moving the line so in fact this case is about birth control and it is solely based on religious grounds which makes it absolutely imperative why the exception cannot be made.

This is how laws are chipped away or at least how they are trying to chip this one away. I am just glad that this is covered in the original tenents of the constitution. Our forefathers were so very wise.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Grimpachi

Oh I see it is just that exclusion for his religious beliefs.

So is that where the line gets drawn.

Remember when I asked if there was a line, where the line was and what determines the line?

Was that one of the tangents? My answering your questions?

The line was medically necessary vs. convenience/elective.

Can you not see the reason why they are pushing for just this much? Wasn't information posted that there are some financial backers helping with this suit?

I believe they are trying to move the line and set a legal precedent to continue moving the line so in fact this case is about birth control and it is solely based on religious grounds which makes it absolutely imperative why the exception cannot be made.

You mean like the legal backing all liberal groups get when they try to set a precedent? Why is it bad to set a precedent that a Christian must provide healthcare, but not ELECTIVE care that goes against their beliefs?

This is how laws are chipped away or at least how they are trying to chip this one away. I am just glad that this is covered in the original tenents of the constitution. Our forefathers were so very wise.

You mean the one that this business owner is actually using to push his case? His case would strengthen the Constitution.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Since when is it your employers job to worry about of even know what kind of medical procedures their employees and their doctors choose? They have made this decision and this decision is their fault.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   

faradaycage
reply to post by Bone75

Since when is it your employers job to worry about of even know what kind of medical procedures their employees and their doctors choose? They have made this decision and this decision is their fault.

They aren't worrying or wanting to know about what procedures anyone chooses, so your argument is invalid. Just an FYI, what they don't want to cover is not "chosen" or "prescribed" by a Doctor. It's over the counter.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Why can't they be granted an exemption? After all, Pelosi and many other democrats are doing just that to business cronies in THEIR districts. What makes it o.k. for them to grant exemptions to these business, but not Hobby Lobby?

Don't you just love the fairness of politics.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

MrSpad
Just a small point here. It is not happening. This would be a HOAX. And an older one.They are not closing any stores and they are not planning on closing any stores. Starting two years ago when people started spreading this Hobby Lobby began saying it was not true. They are in fact opening more and more stores. They also wish people would quit saying they are closing as it is bad for business.

“That is not going to happen. That is on the Internet with my name supposedly signed to it, but we’re not planning on shutting any stores down,” Green said.

www.iwusojourn.com...

Oh, good! I'm glad this is just a hoax and I can stop myself from posting and getting my username mired in this morass of a debate about religious liberty, abortion and governmental overreach......Wait....DAMN IT! Oh, you're a sly one, Mr. Spad... A sly one, indeed...

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

So, focus on just the abortion statement, but avoid the other.
How convenient and typical of your retorts.

You are a Hypocrite.

You and other 0bama backers, piss and moan about not wanting the Govt to meddle in your lives, in regards to abortion, yet are perfectly fine with the Govt meddling when it comes to stealing taxes and forcing companies to go against what they want to do.

It really truly is always different for you and Progressives.

edit on 4-2-2014 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Just exactly what did I ignore? Are you talking about the part where you were implying that corporations somehow had religious beliefs that they were somehow entitled to impose on their employees. If so, just know that I believe this assertion to be pure bunk and hardly even worthy of a response, but just for the record;

I am not of the belief that corporations are people and I definitely wasn't aware that corporations went to church, much less that they held religious beliefs protected by law.

edit on 4-2-2014 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

I love Hobby Lobby but I think this person is a bit nuts.

They don't want to pay for contraception but yet they do. They pay their employees so in a round about way they ARE paying for contraception when employees they paid buy it themselves.

Why do people have to bring religion into everything. So they are going to lay off hundreds of workers because if their personal beliefs? I think business and ones religious beliefs should not be in the same category. Leave it at the door!

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Again, avoid the fact that you are fine with Govt interfering with person life, so long as it falls under your ideals.

This has little to do with the religious aspect, and more about you being fine with Govt forcing something you like, but staying out of something you don't.

That, is the truest definition of a hypocrite.

You are fine with Govt forcing a business to provide birth control, which is so far out of the scope of what was designed to do, yet you are not fine with Govt stepping in and saying killing an unborn baby is bad.

There is no right, as a person, to receive either tax payer funded birth control, or a right for an employer to be forced to pay for it.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

This isn't a religious issue as much as they want it to be. Abortion is legal in this country and NOBODY is forcing them to have an abortion. They are forcing them to have healthcare which includes abortion as a legal medical procedure. They don't have to have an abortion, they aren't being told get an abortion or go out of business, they aren't being told to quit being christian.

This is a false type of Christian, shoving their business into others business. Their own book tells them to mind their own business.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Number one rule of Marxism is to destabilize the free market. Obama is doing what he does best.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

The CEO has already said this is not true, and they are closing no stores regardless of outcome.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

macman

So, focus on just the abortion statement, but avoid the other.
How convenient and typical of your retorts.

You are a Hypocrite.

You and other 0bama backers, piss and moan about not wanting the Govt to meddle in your lives, in regards to abortion, yet are perfectly fine with the Govt meddling when it comes to stealing taxes and forcing companies to go against what they want to do.

It really truly is always different for you and Progressives.

edit on 4-2-2014 by macman because: (no reason given)

Why are you crying about the government they are not doing anything in this. All this is happening because some bible thumper thinks he has the right to force his religious views on his employees. So I guess right wingers like you support discrimination.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

tryingtomakeit
reply to post by grey580

They are not taking away there rights, they are simply saying they will not pay for these things. IMO.

Soooooooooo if they are against abortions and birth control why are they paying taxes?

en.wikipedia.org...

Since the 70's our tax dollars have been funding Planned Parenthood. And all the services they provide.
Including providing birth control.

If they really wanted to take a stand then they should stop paying taxes. But that won't happen.
edit on 4-2-2014 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Did the Govt, or did it not, mandate companies to have insurance that includes birth control???

Very simple.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

mblahnikluver
reply to post by Bone75

I love Hobby Lobby but I think this person is a bit nuts.

They don't want to pay for contraception but yet they do. They pay their employees so in a round about way they ARE paying for contraception when employees they paid buy it themselves.

Why do people have to bring religion into everything. So they are going to lay off hundreds of workers because if their personal beliefs? I think business and ones religious beliefs should not be in the same category. Leave it at the door!

Using the it's against my religion excuse is the easiest way to get people to back your argument without questioning what your argument is about.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

macman
reply to post by buster2010

Did the Govt, or did it not, mandate companies to have insurance that includes birth control???

Very simple.

It is the owner that chose to cry it's against my religion to break that law. Religion isn't supposed to dictate any laws in America much less use it as an excuse to get around the law.

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join