It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Five Hunters Gunned Down In Wisconsin Woods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Five Hunters dead and three others wounded, the suspect has been arrested, seems a dispute over a hunting blind placed on private property was the reasoning behind the bloodshed. The 35 year old shooter identified as Chai Vang was asked to leave and take his deer stand with him; it is not known who opened fire first. The dead are four males, including a teenage boy, and one woman. The killings have shocked Exeland a village 135 miles northeast of Minneapolis.

www.cnn.com

Police: Dispute over deer stand apparently led to killings

Monday, November 22, 2004 Posted: 3:24 AM EST (0824 GMT)

CNN) -- Sheriff's deputies are investigating the killings of five hunters Sunday in northwest Wisconsin -- bloodshed apparently sparked by a dispute over a hunting spot. A suspect has been arrested.” This is completely nuts," said Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle of the Sawyer County Sheriff's Department. "Why? I mean, five people dead because somebody was trespassing on property. It makes no sense." The suspect apparently got lost in the woods after the rampage. He was led out by a pair of hunters who were not aware of the shootings, according to Zeigle. "We were very thankful to take him into custody. No one else got hurt," Zeigle said. "When he was taken into custody, his gun was empty."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just amazing 5 people dead 3 more wounded it’s a good thing this guy was apparently out of ammunition , well his rifle was found to be empty at any rate I suspect that the two people who found him wandering in the woods would also be dead. The man must have to be mentally unbalanced to have caused this amount carnage to innocent people. It’s a sad story and my heart goes out to the families and friends who are now dealing with this tragedy.

CBS:Deer Hunter Dispute Turns Deadly

[edit on 11-22-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Ugh, why must morons do stuff like this and put a bad light on hunting and guns. Hopefully the dude will find himself strapped into an electric chair and the rest of us can be spared some messy trial with pleads of insanity and other BS. The worst part is legislators will climb all over this to nail hunters up on a cross for the crimes of a few.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I was driving in the country yesterday and everywhere you look you see "posted" signs that read "private property no trespassing, violaters will be prosecuted"

And they are on every other tree....

I could see places along the fencing where people have pushed it down to walkt hrough, the area where I drove through is big on hunting, they have a hunter's club on one of the roads...

As I left two baby deer hopped across the street, I had to stop.. They turned around and looked at me, their eyes were so cute, they had white little ears and white around their eyes... Just adorable, I don't understand the people who kill these innocent things... No heart... no heart...

Not to mention their excuse of "keeping the deer population is check" is bs...
natural seclection, darwinisn, survival of the fittest, ect...
Hunter's don't hunt the weak, they hunt for the biggest strongest buck...
It's too bad to hear about those hunters, but people who get anal about property have a screw loose...

I had a neighbour on my old street who would freak if we went into his yard (we were little) he put up a fence, and sat there and watched up through his window.... One time my dad was bbqing on the deck and the guy shot a squirrel right ABOVE my dad's head.. coulda killed him... anyhoo, guys that are protective of their land are nutty imo... wouldn't surprise me if they shot the trespasser's, maybe thats what thye mean what they say trespasser's will be "prosectuted" kinda like area 51... there's no need to kill, but they would and do.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
this sounds like an illuminati mind control victim. they are manufacturing excuses to get the populace to give up guns.
i say, YOU FIRST to the government.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Just adorable, I don't understand the people who kill these innocent things... No heart... no heart...

Are you vegitarian, then? As there's no difference between a living breathing, innocent cow, pig or chicken than there is a deer, moose, elk, etc.

It's too bad to hear about those hunters, but people who get anal about property have a screw loose...

Not necessarily, TrueLies. When you've got no trespassing signs on your property, you're not expecting people to be out there with guns hunting, now are you? That could result in people, out using their own property not dressed in Orange (or other bright colors, because they're not hunting, nor expecting to have hunters on their property), being injured by hunters who ignored the signs.

In the case of hunters, it's for reasons of safety that they not trespass, IMO.

As for this case, it wasn't the owners of the property who began shooting, it was the man who trespassed, and was asked to leave.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It's all part of the plan.... Marshall Law..... Reasons.... Fear... More to come..

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Deer have no predators cause we wiped out the wolf.

You won't think they are so adorable when overpopulation has them running in front of your car at night.

Imagine hitting a deer or elk or moose at a 50 mph.

You'd be dead.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There's no conspiracy, just an imbalanced nut case that somehow felt cornered in the wrong place. Of course we don't know exactly what occured or who fired the first shot. While the guy was trespassing we don't know how the property owner handled the situation. Obviously it could have been handled better.

While this is a blow for those who wish to preserve freedom by owning a gun it also proves that a simple hunting rifle can kill as many folks as an assault weapon even if it doesn't look as scary. As all fatal shootings are these days, this will be used as more propaganda by the communist anti freedom anti-gun lobby no doubt. Once they take guns from the people next they'll want to take them from our police. Then you'll be like them palestinian kids throwing rocks at the guys with guns in armored vehicals.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by outsider]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
No conspiracy, but the news chooses to cover it.. say instead of a mother cat having kittens.. if you follow me.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well...I live in Wisconsin, this is all over the news here. As far as I know only two of the people shot were hunters, and their guns weren't loaded, but that may not be correct, I'll watch the news some more tonight.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I�m just adding this article to this thread because it has a picture of the alleged murder. that and one of the wounded has now died changing it to six dead and two injured.

Police identified the shooter as Chai Vang, 36, a hunter from St. Paul, Minn., who is a member of the Twin Cities' Hmong community.

Excerpt:

BIRCHWOOD, Wis. Nov 22, 2004 � As several deer hunters made their way through the woods of northern Wisconsin, they were startled to come upon a stranger in their tree stand. But what happened next was even more astonishing. Asked to leave, the trespasser, wearing blaze-orange and carrying a semiautomatic assault rifle, opened fire on the hunters and didn't stop until his 20-round clip was empty, leaving five people dead and three wounded, authorities said.
Locals have complained that the Hmong, refugees from Laos, do not understand the concept of private property and hunt wherever they see fit. In Minnesota, a fistfight once broke out after Hmong hunters crossed onto private land, said Ilean Her, director of the St. Paul-based Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans.

Up-Date Sixth Hunter Denny Drew Now Dead
Denny Drew, 55, was one of three hunters who initially survived the shootings in rural Sawyer County. A family statement said he died Monday evening after being transferred from Lakeview Medical Center in nearby Rice Lake to a hospital in Marshfield, about 120 miles from the scene of the shooting.Link

ABC News: BIRCHWOOD, Wis. Nov 22, 2004
USA Today: Hunters Stunned by Wis. Slayings
CNN: Sixth Hunter Shot in Deer Stand Dispute Dies
MSNBC: Deer-Hunt Murder Suspect's Family in Disbelief

[edit on 23/11/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
So is there a moral in anti-gun owner's minds?

Don't hunt lest you be hunted.

or for Under-powered outgunned in gun owner's minds?

We should be allowed to use automatics while hunting...just in case.

[edit on 11/24/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Suspect was sharpshooter in the Guard
Just another update on the shootings in Wisconsin it turns out that suspect Chai Soua Vang of St Paul received a U.S. Army commendation as a sharpshooter and was a qualified rifleman in the use of an M-16 during his six years in the National Guard.

Also law-enforcement authorities from Clark County have contacted local authorities to investigate any connections between Vang and an unsolved homicide three years prior that was similar to the latest murders in Exeland.

Chicago Tribune

By Ted Gregory and Glenn Jeffers
Tribune staff reporters
Published November 25, 2004

Excerpts:

Suspect was sharpshooter in the Guard

RICE LAKE, Wis. -- As blaze orange-ribbon memorials started appearing on car antennas in this north woods community and grieving residents prepared funerals for six people killed in a deer-hunting trespassing dispute, more details emerged Wednesday about the man suspected of the crime. Vang has not been formally charged but is being held on $2.5 million bail.

Account rejected

Family and friends of the killed and wounded hunters have rejected Vang's account, saying he is trying to reduce his own responsibility for killing six people and wounding two others. "I can't imagine any of them doing anything like that," Karen Roidt, mother of slain hunter Mark Roidt, said Wednesday. "It just doesn't make any sense." Haugen Village President Steve Salmi, who served on the Village Board with slain hunter Robert Crotteau and was a close friend of Allan Laski, another man fatally shot Sunday, said, "Deer hunters can get a little territorial."

Source: Chicago Tribune

According to Vang he was first taunted by racial slurs before one of the hunters pointed his rifle at him and fired off a round Vang said he then crouched and began shooting the people. One of the surviving hunters said Vang fired the first shot. St Paul police say they had been called to Vang�s home on five occasions since June of 2003, two of those time Vang called him self to settle domestic disputes.

[edit on 25/11/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
St Paul police say they had been called to Vang�s home on five occasions since June of 2003, two of those time Vang called him self to settle domestic disputes.
[edit on 25/11/2004 by Sauron]

you just GOTTA wonder. what the # is the army doing to the brains of soldiers? this guy was one seriously primed pump.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
stupid people think these refugees are already going out hunting. The only refugees who dont know how to read or anything about this land only arrived this summer- they dont just travel on their own into woods in a foreign land- hmong people too scared to do that #. THis guy is on his own and he's been living here for a long time now. He knows rules and regulations and this man knows enough to know how to read by this time. IF there are refuges going hunting who don�t know how to read, there's obviously someone accompanying them on this hunt who does know how to read. Ths man just chose to ignore them. Also- what's so hard to believe about white men taunting racial slurs at him first? THere was 8 of them vs 1 man. This 1 man would not shoot one person of the 8 first knowing at taht instance everyone could shoot right bak at him, too. That�s common sense. Obviously the bigger group must've shot off around him first to scare him off (dumba**es) only scaring him into a shooting frenzy. if so- self defense. BUT -eh 6 people dead ? this man knew what he was doing after the 2nd shot. He's totally guilty- but not for insanity or a mental imbalance-

[edit on 2-12-2004 by memberoftopsecretstuff]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by memberoftopsecretstuff
stupid people think these refugees are already going out hunting. The only refugees who dont know how to read or anything about this land only arrived this summer- they dont just travel on their own into woods in a foreign land- hmong people too scared to do that #. THis guy is on his own and he's been living here for a long time now. He knows rules and regulations and this man knows enough to know how to read by this time. IF there are refuges going hunting who don�t know how to read, there's obviously someone accompanying them on this hunt who does know how to read. Ths man just chose to ignore them. Also- what's so hard to believe about white men taunting racial slurs at him first? THere was 8 of them vs 1 man. This 1 man would not shoot one person of the 8 first knowing at taht instance everyone could shoot right bak at him, too. That�s common sense. Obviously the bigger group must've shot off around him first to scare him off (dumba**es) only scaring him into a shooting frenzy. if so- self defense. BUT -eh 6 people dead ? this man knew what he was doing after the 2nd shot. He's totally guilty- but not for insanity or a mental imbalance-

[edit on 2-12-2004 by memberoftopsecretstuff]

Co-sign on your point of this being self-defense.

No non-white man in America is just gonna start acting like a damn fool and start killing WHITE PEOPLE just because he was asked to leave their land. It is way more likely that they did taunt him and that they opened fire first. He was trained by the military so when being attacked he goes into attack mode. Maybe this will instill fear in the people who live in those areas that you don't go around throwing racial slurs at people, especially people you don't know. I mean I think this ones a big shocker since it is an Asian man who took them out, it goes against the stereotype.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by antdiggity]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This story gets more interesting as time goes on. I think it will make a nice made for tv movie at the least. Deer Hunter combined with Deliverance.

Almost sounds like a bunch of redneck hicks got in over their heads with this guy. Regardless when the hunters become the hunted it's a little hard to have empathy for them.

The suspect will spend the rest of his days in prison as our system doesn't allow for private citizens to kill that many persons - justified or not.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by outsider]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
Almost sounds like a bunch of redneck hicks got in over their heads with this guy. Regardless when the hunters become the hunted it's a little hard to have empathy for them.

First of all, that view that "a bunch of redneck hicks got in over their heads with this guy" is sad.
Vang was trespassing, plain and simple. They didn't round him up and bring him there, he WAS armed, and unauthorized to be on the private property (Owned by Robert Crotteau and Terry Willers).

Killed were Robert Crotteau, 42; his son Joey Crotteau, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; Jessica Willers, 27; and Dennis Drew, 55. All these people, are just "a bunch of redneck hicks"? Who's an ignorant hick?

The suspect will spend the rest of his days in prison as our system doesn't allow for private citizens to kill that many persons - justified or not.

How can shooting at 8 people, when only 1 of them had a rifle on them, be justified?! Them chasing down another and shouting, "Your not dead yet?" and shooting him again, THAT'S JUSTIFIABLE?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Even if this guy was shot at first you can only use a set amount of force to defend yourself from the threat. And only if there is a immediate threat of death or grave bodily injury can you use lethal force.

It doesn't matter if he is standing there screaming and threatening to kill you, or if has said that he is going to come back and get you. In many states if someone has just pointed a gun at you, demanded your wallet and is now running away that is not considered "immediate threat of death or grave bodily injury." Because he isn't trying to kill you at that exact moment.

8 people gunned down and only one gun between them this guy has no chance of a self defense plea. If even one is shot in the back it would be a slam dunk case for murder even if they had a gun of their own. Even worst if they are unarmed people he shot.

This guy is going to be locked up for the rest of his life if this state does not have the death sentence.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeingWatchedByThem

Vang was trespassing, plain and simple. They didn't round him up and bring him there, he WAS armed, and unauthorized to be on the private property (Owned by Robert Crotteau and Terry Willers).

Killed were Robert Crotteau, 42; his son Joey Crotteau, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; Jessica Willers, 27; and Dennis Drew, 55. All these people, are just "a bunch of redneck hicks"? Who's an ignorant hick?

How can shooting at 8 people, when only 1 of them had a rifle on them, be justified?! Them chasing down another and shouting, "Your not dead yet?" and shooting him again, THAT'S JUSTIFIABLE?

I don't know the whole story, nor do I know the people involved as it sounds like you might. I don't know the facts either - just what I've read here and other media sources.

There are several things I have to ask myself when pondering this event. Why didn't they call the local sheriff after they discovered a man with a gun trespassing on their land? Someone had a cavalier attitude & believed they were able to forcably remove this guy from their land. While they may not have been redneck hicks as I put it, it's clear they made some poor decisions here.

What made the suspect go off and start shooting everyone - somone set this guy off. It takes more than one person to start a fight.

I have friends who are hunters & they have strayed on private property with several results ranging from becoming friends with the land owners, to being asked nicely to leave, to having local law enforcement called and being fined a few hundred a piece for trespassing. It's all about how the landowners handled the situation. My comment about being redneck hicks may not be accurate, but they clearly failed in whatever decisions they made to deal with this situation and it appears they made one bad decision after another.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join