It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copy Machines - Security Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Worse than Target card holder hack, this is potentially the biggest disaster of our time, excluding Fukushima.

Imagine the havoc that could unfold with this knowledge and acquisition in the wrong hands.

I would not doubt it at all if most of us have personal information somewhere out there in the hands of who knows who.

It is a wonder there was only one response to the investigative reports regarding police to insurance to medical information and surely much more. Skeletons that whould best be lost in the moment may now be examined by persons unknown.
Copy Machines - Security Risk

From the video info:

Almost all copiers made since 2002 have a hard drive buried inside, which stores images of every document that is scanned or copied.

This is a must see.
What a Disaster.
edit on 3-2-2014 by imd12c4funn because: fix link

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I remember seeing a video about this a few years ago. If anything, I always thought these devices had just a small flash memory unit for buffering, but a HD? WTF!
One of the issues I brought up at the time in discussion with my senior management, was the possibility for even the copier techs being able to access the data on them. For instance, all our units are leased and are regularly serviced by a rep from the supplier who comes along, is given an access card so he can get around to all the devices in general access areas, and do what he needs to do. Thing is, nobody would bat an eyelid to see him with a laptop connected to the devices and would assume he is just updating firmware or something else innocuous. However, he could well be downloading any stored data from the disk for perusal at his leisure and be able to sell on any juicy info for personal gain. Wouldn't have to wait until the unit is decommissioned and removed from the office. Needless to say, we had to write a whole new set of security protocols around these devices.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

link not working,but, just the idea, this is really disturbing.....and I was just going to bed, this is going to keep me awake for a while...weill watch the link later when it is fixed...definitely keeping an eye on this.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

This already happened. A police agency was selling off old equipment and the data was taken and sold black market. Kind of hilarious "oops" and also a good look into how secure everything really is.

Remember all those mortgage companies that went bankrupt? Yeah…

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I can't help but laugh too think that any nefarious agencies or individuals that may have been using this snoop tactic will have had to look at a load of shots of my and thousands of other peoples butts. That really appeals to my natural and somewhat perverse sense of justice. Ah the long gone days of drunken office parties.
edit on 3-2-2014 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

imd12c4funn
Worse than Target card holder hack, this is potentially the biggest disaster of our time, excluding Fukushima.

Old news, already posted nearly 4 years ago!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-2-2014 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

research100

link not working,but, just the idea, this is really disturbing.....and I was just going to bed, this is going to keep me awake for a while...weill watch the link later when it is fixed...definitely keeping an eye on this.

link working now.
thanks

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

ATS search feature is one of the weak links.
Thanks for the heads up

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Its a disaster because the Federal government mandated it.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Apparently all computers have hard drives too and on them are all documents and files and stuff.

It's pretty scary stuff.

top topics

join