It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you have a moment, I'd like to introduce you to Glenn

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Advantage
Angels dont always have wings and play harps. Sometimes they carry juice and open the sugar.

Glad to meet Glenn.. and YOU.

Well said and I agree!!!!
It made me cry that this guy actually did have a family and they chose to leave him alone like that. How very tragic. The world needs more loving and copassionate peole like you! HUGS!!

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Please accept my apologies for not having answered any earlier...

Your words touched me deeply and reminded me of when I was a youth volunteer many years ago...

We all have or have had a Glenn in our lives...

And most important of all, most of us here (especially after reading some of the posts here on this particular thread)... Have a HEART...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jacktorrance

Jacktorrance, we are friends. For ever, call on me as a friend.

Anyone who can love and respect our elderly is someone I am proud to call friend. The only other person I met with that kind of love and respect for the elderly, i married her.

Thanks for the read.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

Jacktorrance, we are friends. For ever, call on me as a friend.

Anyone who can love and respect our elderly is someone I am proud to call friend. The only other person I met with that kind of love and respect for the elderly, i married her.

Thanks for the read.

Much agreed Fattyfurryprimate...

I recently held the hand of a close elderly relative as he departed into the life or whatever there was after ours...

I was so proud (in my own personal way) for him and found an emotion that I cannot describe that he was not alone in his parting moments...

For all you young uns out there... One day... look into the future... One day we all will be in the same situation... (hopefully with those that care and love us around us...)...

Warmest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The real "hero of this story is the OP" Glenn was'nt alone when he passed. He made a new friend on his journey, you OP will be with Glenn forever, where ever Glenn is. I watched my dad die in 2007 and then my mom in 2011, both after spending time in a nursing home. My dad ahd a roommate that never had visitors, never. I would always include Mr. C. in the days I visited my dad. I was there the morning my dad passed. Mr.C was as sad as we were. His friend, his roomate, his sounding board was gone. I & my kids went to see Mr.C every Sat for the next 8 months. I never seen any family there ever. Mr.C passed in his sleep about 9 months after my dad. I and my kids attended Mr.C funeral and were shocked at the amount of family the man had...you would have never known.

My mom was in a hospice at her time. those people have a really crappy job, that they do with such ease and dignity. My mom left here about an hour after I visited... The folks at the hospice really were compassionate and caring. OP I think you fall into that category...compassionate & caring. Glenn left here a better man because he had you at the end. Somewhere on here there's a members sig, that says, You can tell alot about a country by looking at how they treat their young & elderly. We all could do better..

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Thank you jacktorrance for a wonderful read.

Didn't realize I had emotions so early on a Monday.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

What a nice tribute. I worked at a nursing facility for a while back in the late 90's. There were several older vets who I made a point to speak to as I was a recent vet. When you come in one day and one of your favorites were not there, it's tough. I decided I didn't like to put myself in the position to deal with that kind of emotion on a regular basis. But I commend those that can.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Thanks Jack for having introduced me to Glenn, privileged to know you and about glenn.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

I'm sorry to hear about your relationship with your grandmother. Believe me when I tell you that I understand that some people are horrible and possibly deserving of the treatment they get in their later years. I have a few in my family like that as well so I understand. I can't possibly say how Glenn treated his family and perhaps there is good reason for why they didn't come to visit..but the man I knew was kind and I personally felt he was more deserving.

Thank you for your reply.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thank you very much. I feel honored to be considered your friend. Your posts are always insightful and often humorous so I look forward to seeing anything you've written. I appreciate your reply.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

Thank you but I am certainly not a hero. I'm just a person that has had the pleasure of meeting some great people, one of whom I'm glad to have been able to share here.

I think it's great that you took your children to visit Mr. C. That will very likely stick with them forever. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Thank you very much for your reply. Volunteering is a difficult thing to do, you deserve a lot of appreciation for doing it.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Easily one of the best threads I have read in a very long while here on ATS....as other members have said...you have a gift in your writing. I hope you continue...as for Glen...Thank you so much for the introduction. I hope that he found peace in the end. Nobody should have to die alone....

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Long time lurker, first time poster. I finally signed up an account just to reply to this thread.
Glenn sounds like an amazing man and I'm sure his final days would have been darker had he not of met you in that home. You sound like an amazing gentleman and never stop doing what you do, that industry needs more hearts like you.
Thank you for introducing him to us.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing this story, as heartbreaking as it is. I'm sure, from your writing, that you did all you could to make Glenn's days as good as possible. Thanks for the important work that you - and others like you - do every day for those whose families are unable to care for them, either physically, emotionally, or both. All the best - MT

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
A beautiful written story, explained in a very simple way...... thank you.

It reminded me of my first full time job leaving catering college, working at a old peoples rest home as a chef.

I met a old chap, William- Bill- he was staying at the home on the second floor while his wife was on the first floor for a 4 week break. It was something he did once a year to give himself a break from caring for his wife, who had Parkinson's and was a handful for a 84 yr old on his own.

He refused help form the local authorities because he loved his wife so much and he didn't want a stranger looking after her. He did not want his wife to know he was in the home at the same time because she would play up and demand to see him, but he wanted to be close to her just in case.

I use to sit in with Bill every now and again and chat with him, he would tell me about his life in the army during the 2nd WW, and how he met his wife. I would smuggle a small bottle of his favorite Whisky in now and again and we would play cards while he chatted away.

Sadly Bill died while staying one Christmas, and his wife knew nothing of it while she was staying in a room on the first floor. I left the home shortly after this, i found it hard to come into work and talk to the residents, i didn't want to get to know them because they would probably die..... selfish i know but i really liked Bill and i missed him, i was only 22 at the time.

Thanks for the story

edit on 6-2-2014 by panicman66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Wow JT, what a HeartWarming Story. Thanx! Selfless acts such as yours are rare nowadays. I'm sure Glenn appreciated the times you shared with him. Cherish those times and share them with everyone who will listen to you. Spreading Those Warm memories will surely enrich all who hear them. Thanx for the Share. Syx.

Just to add, when I was 10 or 11, my Mom was a leader of a local 4-H group. Yah I joined because I wanted to. One day she gave us all a project to start writing to Disabled Vets in a V.A. Hospital in Chicago, IL. I chose Willie. We wrote back and forth for a few years until he died. I was Crushed, and could not write any others for fear of having to endure that pain again. At least Willie told me in more than a few Letters He appreciated the time I spent on him, even if it was only in letters. Made me feel good. I'm glad I did that as I think it made me a more compassionate person today. I go out of my way to help others, with whatever it may be. I don't take money from those I change a tire for, for instance, even though I'd need it, I only ask that they do a favor for at least one stranger for repayment. You just did me a favor be writing what You did. Thanx again, Syx.
edit on 6-2-2014 by SyxDaliGee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by panicman66

Bill sounds like a great person, and you do too. It can be really difficult to go in day after day, not knowing who will still be there and who won't. We've had a terrible stomach flu spread through our facility this winter and we lost 5 residents within a month. It was heartbreaking.

Thank you for sharing your story.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Australien

Thank you for choosing my topic to leave your first comment, and welcome to ATS! I'm not a gentleman, but I appreciate your sentiment either way. (My avatar and name are deceiving, for that I apologize)

I hope you enjoy your time as a member on the site. There's a lot of great people here!

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SyxDaliGee

I miss having penpals. Can adults do the penpal thing too? With actual paper and pens?

I think you probably made Willie's final days very happy. It's nice to look forward to something in the mail, especially if he was in a hospital. Very few of our residents get very much mail, most of it's just junk mail when they do, so I'm sure a letter was really nice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join